Can I925 portrait "desk stand" dock be modified for the I515?

pwsteele

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the charger dock that's available for GSM Galaxy Nexus, as shown here:

Larger Image for Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus Desk Stand - Expansys USA

could be modified to work with the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus (I515)? My understanding is that the main difference is the position of the three pogo pins. I was thinking of buying this dock, opening it up, and then moving the pogo pins to the proper location for the I515. I would only be able to do that though if the inside of the case was open enough to allow those pins to be moved. If everything is a big piece of molded plastic, the project might not be feasible.

My brother back in Canada just got one of these for his Galaxy Nexus. He finds it amusing that I can't get something equivalent out here in Silicon Valley. What's the deal with Samsung and this dock anyway? I want a portrait dock and nothing is available.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
That's a landscape dock, not portrait. The reason why it doesn't work between models is the thickness of the device puts the pogo pins off by just a touch. And as far as I know the CDMA models don't have the essential firmware/software to handle the dock unless they're running 4.0.4 (they're still on 4.0.2 right now).

pwsteele

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I925 landscape desk stand" dock be modified for the I515?

D'oh, yeah I meant landscape. What I was wondering was if I could open the dock up and move the pins. A dremel tool would do the job. Unfortunately, the 4.0.2 version issue isn't as easy to solve...

pwsteele

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually, all I'm interested in is the charging capability. I assume that will work with 4.0.2. I just want something for a night time charging dock. Right now I'm using a credit card holder and plug in a USB cable manually. This landscape dock work be perfect for my purposes...

pureazian626

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
from my experience the dock charged at usb rate on 4.0.2. even with the ac plug. Once 4.0.4 did it charge at AC rate. Up until i update did i finally start using the dock daily.

pwsteele

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the I515 dock? I personally have been unable to find it for sale anywhere. I'm still running at 4.0.2. There have been no updates for a while now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty