Straight Talk MMS problems

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I am using a Straight Talk sim card (provisioned for the AT&T network) and am unable to send/receive any MMS messages. Is there a setting I need to change on this phone?

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So my phone won't save the setting change. The old one (original) is gone too. Straight Talk says it's a Samsung issue. When I call Samsung they say it's a Straight Talk problem.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So you're creating a new APN with the given values and its not saving? What's it doing instead?

As in: Settings > More... > Mobile network settings > Access Point Names > Menu > "New APN" ?

If you need to get back the stock one, you can always hit Menu > "Reset to default" in the APNs page.

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When you're in the APN settings menu after you're done creating do you press the menu option and press save?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I finally got the APN's to "stick". Not sure what the issue was, but this morning I rebooted the phone and the original APN was now listed. From there I started over, deleted that APN, added the new ones from the link cgarder provided, saved, rebooted, and everything seems good!

cdc1171

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I am having the same problem as miannotti, not sending/receiving any pictures in text messages. I have tried all of the APN combinations I have seen on the internet. I think part of my problem might be that I cannot type in a custom "APN TYPE", I can only choose from 3 choices: INTERNET, MMS, or INTERNET + MMS. I also loose my data connection as soon as I put "att.mvno" into the field "APN". The only way I have found to even get the data connection to work is to delete all APNs, then create a new APN and only type in the APN Name as "StraightTalk" and hit the home button. If I do that, phone, data, and normal texts all work fine. Just no picture messages...

Any ideas?
Thanks!

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I am really curious about the straight talk deal. I have really good at&t coverage in my area. Will the straight talk be the same? I am tired of paying verizon $100 a month. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I am really curious about the straight talk deal. I have really good at&t coverage in my area. Will the straight talk be the same? I am tired of paying verizon $100 a month. Thanks in advance.

It uses AT&T's network, so yes.

The only caveat is that there are questions as to whether or not they have roaming. Prepaid carriers usually don't have roaming agreements. Straight Talk, however, operates on both AT&T and T-Mobile (you choose when buying) and for that reason some believe you're allowed to 2G voice roam on the other network with Straight Talk.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I am currently looking for good unlocked deals. Thanks for the info. I will keep reading. I want to do something in June.

chrisjaffe

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I am currently looking for good unlocked deals. Thanks for the info. I will keep reading. I want to do something in June.

Check out this link for some great info on prepaid options:

[INFO][GSM] Own Your Cell Service ..with Prepaid and the Galaxy Nexus [UPDATED 4/16] - xda-developers

I just signed up with Straight Talk and the service seems fine so far. I know that the roaming question has been debated but it says fairly clearly on the Straight Talk website that you will not be able to roam.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nding%26category%3Dtrouroaming&token=OJZVTXUQ

One thing to note about my Straight Talk experience is that my wife's iPhone was a pain in the a** to set up. I doubt that anyone here cares about the details so I'll skip the long story. But the support department at ST was not the greatest. Let's just say you get what you pay for...including the out sourced call center for support.

AnonymousUser

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I too can confirm that Straight Talk works very well, and it's all unlimited! (Except for the data, which might be a 2GB cap.)

I ordered the AT&T network Straight Talk SIM card, & interchange it between my jailbroken iPhone 4S (on 5.0.1) & my HTC Vivid on ICS (both AT&T phones). I paid less than $50. (which includes tax) & have had no issues as yet.

Now, I've switched my friend & her daughter to ST using their iPhone 4S phones, dropping my AT&T account altogether. Only problem is, I have their phones working for Calls/SMS/Data, just the MMS isn't working for them, bc they are not jailbroken on iOS 5.1.

But, both of my phones (Vivid & i4S) work flawlessly. I pull in around 5mbps on my SpeedTest on my i4S, & about 7mbps on my Vivid. Which isn't too bad really.

Even Visual Voicemail apps such as YouMail & PhoneFusion work very well with ST. Having HSPA+ speeds, plus Talk & Data at the same time (GSM) on a no-contract plan is the best investment I have made so far this year.

I hope this helps you with your decision in finding a pre-paid carrier.
And if anyone knows how to help me fix my friends MMS problem, pls let me know. Thanks

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Now, I've switched my friend & her daughter to ST using their iPhone 4S phones, dropping my AT&T account altogether. Only problem is, I have their phones working for Calls/SMS/Data, just the MMS isn't working for them, bc they are not jailbroken on iOS 5.1.

And if anyone knows how to help me fix my friends MMS problem, pls let me know.

For the iPhone 4S, you can get MMS working by putting in a T-Mobile SIM (doesn't have to be active) then going into the internet settings and adding the ST MMS APN, then swapping SIMs again and saving it. The particular APN editing menu doesn't show up when you have an AT&T or ST SIM in it, but it does show up with a T-Mo SIM in it.

Theres plenty of info/guides out there on this method. No Jailbreak is required on the 4S (but is on the 4 and 3GS), because you can use this method.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the great info. I am currently looking at a skyrocket from AT&T on straight talk. I'm a little tired of the small screen on the iPhone 4s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae