Questions for those on AT&T

Alendrix

May 2, 2012
Visit site
So I bought a Galaxy nexus and attached it to my AT&T Family Plan.

The associate had 'issues' attaching my phone as it isn't a phone sold by AT&T.

Does anyone know what (if any) problems I may encounter if my phone is not identified properly? The rep said he put my phone on a data plan, but had to identify it as a Blackberry in order for me to be able to reach the internet.

Everything seems to be working, just wondering if I should be keeping a close eye and making sure I get everything I should be.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, i am fixing to do the same thing once my Nexus gets here.
Hopefully a day or two.

I am going to go in my local store and get a new SIM card for it since my son
lost his Samsung Galaxy S on a roller coaster ride last weekend.

Alendrix

May 2, 2012
Visit site
For the most part it was painless. Except for the wait behind everyone else. I went in on "Huge, Complicated, and Difficult Problem Day".

The rep got me a SIM Card, got the phone part working. Put me in the system as a Galaxy S II, and wasn't able to surf the web. He had to put it in as a Blackberry, and I could surf the web. Speed tests on the Nexus match up with my other phones. So I am thinking there shouldn't be an issue. Just wondered if anyone else was on AT&T, and how they got entered into the system.

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
good question im getting mine tues and would like to know too. i heard folks say all you have to do is pop the sim card in and your good to go is that true. this is my first unlocked phone

Alendrix

May 2, 2012
Visit site
good question im getting mine tues and would like to know too. i heard folks say all you have to do is pop the sim card in and your good to go is that true. this is my first unlocked phone

They do have to do some programming apparently. As their first attempt got me phone calls and no internet. It was all happy before I left the store.

I didn't have any phones with a compatible SIM card to just pop one in and test it though.

devilsushi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Changing the APN settings work, albeit there a few hiccups.

From what I dealt with, the Galaxy Nexus is not an officially supported phone through AT&T thus they have no profile on their end so they see it as an unknown device. I'm using my Skyrocket as a placeholder for their end.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I took the microSIM out of my iphone 4S, put into my unlocked Galaxy Nexus, and it worked right away no issues. Didn't have to enter any settings, it just worked.

(you can get the microSIM working in a GNex without an adpater, just takes careful positioning, but once in place, it stays there)

Reactions: mrbanks

Alendrix

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I took the microSIM out of my iphone 4S, put into my unlocked Galaxy Nexus, and it worked right away no issues. Didn't have to enter any settings, it just worked.

(you can get the microSIM working in a GNex without an adpater, just takes careful positioning, but once in place, it stays there)

How does that work? Does it just 'use' your iPhone plan while it is in your Nexus?

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks cause i have a INFUSE 4G. and this a big upgrade from that.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
How does that work? Does it just 'use' your iPhone plan while it is in your Nexus?

no idea how it works... it just does. iphone is nothing more than a smartphone plan. i don't think there is really anything fundamentally different settings-wise between iphone and android data plans... but honestly, i don't really know, and since it works i don't really care. All I care is that I didn't have to go through the pain of calling or dealing with AT&T, and that's how GSM w/ SIM cards should be.

Alendrix

May 2, 2012
Visit site
no idea how it works... it just does. iphone is nothing more than a smartphone plan. i don't think there is really anything fundamentally different settings-wise between iphone and android data plans... but honestly, i don't really know, and since it works i don't really care. All I care is that I didn't have to go through the pain of calling or dealing with AT&T, and that's how GSM w/ SIM cards should be.

No argument there. US cellular plans are som overly complicated as compared to other countries.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

The the only difference in the data plan is the name on the computer screen in their system.

I have a Lumia 900 and iPhone 4 and swap the microSIM back and forth all the time. Planning to do the same when my Galaxy Nexus arrives soon. I have an old SIM that I punched out so the microSIM will fit into it as a home made adapter.

It looks like may be ditching the separate plan names because after I got the Lumia my data plan now says "LTE unlimited with visual voicemail" instead of "iPhone unlimited data".

jtaclas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I did not have to do anything special.

Took the sim out of my Atrix 4G which is on the "Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal with 200 Messages" plan, put it into the Galaxy Nexus, add the 'phone' APN and I was good to go.

I'm on a 3 y/o SIM card...and the default APN the phone reads works (wap.cingular...).

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
worked for me i took my sim out of infuse unlimited data grandfathered and 1400 mins plan and put in the gnex and it works fine. ilove this phone and the learning cruve was high for the first hour lol

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Pulled the SIM from my AT&T Galaxy S II (on a family plan, 1400 mins, unlimited text & 2GB data), put it in the Galaxy Nexus and it worked right away - no problems at all.

When I look at my account online I see that they still show my phone as the SGH-I777, so I guess my new Nexus has not been "entered into their system". Yawn.

bsinc1962

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
For the most part mine worked right out of the box with my Atrix 4g sim card. The only issue I had was that my voicemail stopped working. I had to call customer service so they could link my IMEI to my account.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Everything worked for me without having to contact AT&T. I used a micro SIM from my iPhone 4S and placed it appropriately in the full size SIM card slot of the Galaxy Nexus (took a few tries). The data, voicemail, and everything else is working without any issues.