Galaxy Nexus vs HTC One X

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I was leaning towards getting the One X, I was absolutely in love with that screen and that phone, but I want to get into Android app development in the future and people on the HOX forums said that the Galaxy Nexus with its vanilla Android would be a better choice. So what are some of the things that the Galaxy Nexus can do better than the One X? How does it compare hardware wise? Vanilla ICS is probably better than any 3rd party skin any day. How does the screen and rest of the hardware on the GNex compare with the One X? Is there any place where I can get the phone for less than $399?

iukreegs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Android AdvicesHTC One X vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus Mobiles Comparison

I went with the GNex because it was the sweet spot for features and price. I didn't feel the one x was worth $200 more.

I don't have much first hand experience with other smartphones (outside of the iphone) but the screen and everything looks pretty nice on the GNex to me so I'd recommend it.

Haven't seen it for less than $399.

Last edited:

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I just wrote about that here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...wner-who-had-opportunity-switch-att-onex.html

Yes the One X has amazing hardware, but for me the Sense software totally turned me off. The screen is better but I think the difference is overblown. The only difference that I think is really noticable is the whites on the One X look really white where as the Gnex's superamoled doesn't give great whites or greys. The Gnex does have better blacks and excellent contrast although the One X contrast looks really very good too.

I am the type of person who is less interested in a feature list and more interested in a streamlined experience that just makes sense(no pun intended). ICS stock feels like it had a vision behind it. Sense just seems confused, but that is just my personal feelings.

If you don't mind rooting and putting custom software on the One X and voiding your warranty, by all means get that. But I think the stock ICS nexus with its better google support is enough to keep me in the nexus line.

Also I prefer the onscreen buttons, unlike many here. That is subjective, but I like the direction google is going with that and I want to support it.

I would take the One X over a Galaxy S III any day of the week also, not that that has anything to do with your question.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The One X is a nice phone. The question is: do you prefer vanilla ICS for Sense 4.0 on top of ICS? The Google Galaxy Nexus should receive updates quicker than other phones because it will not have to go through the carriers and a manufacturer does not have to rework their custom skin to make it work with Android updates.

In regards to cost, the Galaxy Nexus sold by Google is $399 + $10.50 shipping (UPS 2nd Day Air) + tax. I'm in NC and ended up paying about $437 after shipping and tax. If you're not eligible for an upgrade with AT&T, the One X is $549.99 plus tax. This makes the phone considerably more expensive and it's locked to a carrier.

On the flip side, the One X it has LTE and a slightly better screen thanks to the Super LCD 2. However, unless you're holding the Nexus and the One X side by side, I don't think you'll have an issue with the Nexus' display as it is really great. Before getting the Nexus, I had used an iPhone 4 and 4S for about 9 months and don't see any issues with the Nexus' screen.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I really wish these vendors start taking Google's lead. Minimalist uncluttered design and no buttons. Why is it that the GN is the only ICS phone with no buttons?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

DavidsTech

May 13, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on you. As some already asked, Do you prefer stock Android or one with a skin. Right now, unless you get the international version at full price the bootloader is not able to be unlocked. The LTE version seems to be locked down due to AT&T wanting it that way (And HTC listening). But, you may not care about that. And if you don't then I say its a great choice. The LTE or international version is a great device. I had no issue with my LTE version. I just got spoiled by my LTE Galaxy Nexus. Although the LTE One X has more powerful hardware its not enough to make me like it more than the GN. I returned the LTE One X. But again, its going to come down to what you really want.
I will say this. I wouldn't get a contract on the GN today. Its been out too long for me to do that. Unless your buying it outright I would pass for something else. I would wait for the Galaxy S 3 if not the One X if I was you (The S3 shouldn't be locked down as bad as the LTE One X). Or if you want to wait even longer the new Nexus at the end of the year. Your call. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

iukreegs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on what he's wanting to spend. It will be quite a while I bet before the next Nexus is available at the $399 price point.

If he wants the best phone available, then obviously the GNex isn't that phone anymore. The best deal generally tends to be a step behind bleeding edge and for the money, GNex appears hard to beat.

Agree, I definitely wouldn't buy the GNex LTE subsidized on Verizon given that it's about as expensive as the newer phones coming out and has astronomical monthly rates.

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
If samsung wants to win hard, they just need to release the Galaxy series sans touchwiz. It would be like printing money.

I honestly think Google is going to have to get more involved. I doubt that they are happy with the way things are going software wise with the skins.

Think of the Gnex as a stock sports car, designed exactly how the car company wanted it to be made. And think of the skinned versions as some of those aftermarket versions. They think they can make better what was designed from the ground up to be specifically the way it is.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I chose the GN over the Global HTC One X, due to software and to a lesser extent price $399(Plus tax) vs $584

Biggest things I'll miss ...32GB of storage and the OneX has a really stellar camera. The camera on the GN is not adequate for my purposes.

For the GN the software and replaceable battery are big pluses...and in the end One out(Pun intended)

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I just had a HOX for about 2 weeks and while I loved the phone, I couldnt get past all the bugs. I returned it last night and ordered a GSM Nexus. I like the ability to get updates quicker than anyone else(like on my old N1) and the fact I can change the ROM to whatever build Id like.

Im more for Vanilla than Pistachio....

MbTurner1977

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
$399 is a good price for and unlocked phone. You won't find it for cheaper unless you get it used.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Ry

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I ordered mine this weekend and am hoping it arrives before the weekend! I am replacing a Skyrocket that I just got but paid full price for so its going back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20