Google wallet

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The employee that rang me up at McDonald's today thought it was cool as hell (her words, not mine) that I could pay with my phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I use it when every I can. Half the time the cashier goes and gets the manager. Since they have no idea what's going on

murphious

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering when and if Google Wallet will be coming to Australia. We haven't got that nor Google Music as an online cloud like in America.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I use it when every I can. Half the time the cashier goes and gets the manager. Since they have no idea what's going on

Yup, got yelled at by the manager of a Chevron gas station for trying to use my phone to purchase gas once, the cashier looks at me and says " What was that" !? And I tell her " Back to the future baby". She didn't like that and brings the manager up who says I can't use my phone because its not one of them plastic NFC enabled cards..... o_O what a dumb ass.

Tapatalk sent from the future.

Last edited:

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Yup, got yelled at by the manager of a Chevron gas station for trying to use my phone to purchase gas once, the cashier looks at me and says " What was that" !? And I tell her " Back to the future baby". She didn't like that and brings the manager up who says I can't use my phone because its not one of them plastic NFC enabled cards..... o_O what a dumb ass.

Lol

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Question about Google Wallet coming from a guy in Canada. So we're not allowed to use Wallet up here, we can't even install it on our phones, and I was wondering why? I have a Google Wallet account because I need one to purchase stuff from the Play Store, and my credit card is hooked up to it, why on earth can't we use it at retailers up here? I saw a video of a guy using Google Wallet at a Tim Horton's in Toronto with the pay-pass system, and it works.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Question about Google Wallet coming from a guy in Canada. So we're not allowed to use Wallet up here, we can't even install it on our phones, and I was wondering why? I have a Google Wallet account because I need one to purchase stuff from the Play Store, and my credit card is hooked up to it, why on earth can't we use it at retailers up here? I saw a video of a guy using Google Wallet at a Tim Horton's in Toronto with the pay-pass system, and it works.
I really don't know. Probably has something to do with regulatory approval across international lines. Or maybe taxes, fees, or something related.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've only used Google Wallet NFC to pay a couple of times at McDonald's. Both times, the cashier didn't seem spooked by it. But then again, I do live in a college town and they probably see it happen a lot.

But I don't know...it seems like more of a gee-whiz feature than anything else because most of the time, it's just as easy to whip out the debit card and enter my pin. In terms of embracing the nerdiness of NFC, I think NFC tags are far more entertaining.

wheezy

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Just started using it, also went to burger king and started using their app, however it uses a barcode scanner ad a pay account. The Wallet is better, but it's still neat.

Txchas

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I've used it a couple of times successfully. More often it doesn't work. Do you just hold it up to the receiver or do you have to tap it?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
U have to open it first then hold it up to the receiver but exit the app before u do it though

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
U have to open it first then hold it up to the receiver but exit the app before u do it though

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure what you're talking about. When you hold it up to the scanner Google Wallet will automatically open.

If you have put a PIN on the app, you'll have to enter it before the transaction will show up. (If you like, you can open Wallet yourself and enter your PIN while in line, prior to getting to the front of the line, to expedite things.)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It can get nerve racking at first, for me it was, wondering if it will work, will they except it or not, not the best of experiences this Google Wallet thing. I gave up on it. Just handing cash over or swiping the card is so much simpler, today anyways. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I'm living for today, because tomorrow may never come.

KlineAJ

Jul 8, 2010
www.KlineAJ.com
Best Buy refused to accept it as a form of payment. They are going down the tubes and they wonder why.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Carlos Thomas

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Macy's is the only place I have went that consistently does not work. McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Chevron, CVS, Whole Foods, Petco works like a champ. McDonalds is always the fastest. I have used it on two vending machines too.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
So I walk into Chevron to get some gas, see the pay pass on top of the register and think cool. Run my phone across it and it clears with no hiccups. The girl looks at me like I just hacked into their system saying "what was that, what did you do" !?!? I'm smiling and tell her "back to the future"! She starts looking around and searches for the manager and their looking at me like I'm trying to rob them, he then tells me " we can't except that payment" and I'm beside myself now asking the dude "then what's all this pay pass deal doing on top of your register if your not excepting pay pass"!!! He yells back saying that only cards with the pay pass can be used there and I'm looking at him thinking what a dumb %uck! By then I notice a line forming behind me and the guy behind me just shrugs his shoulders and says " There're not up with the times", that calmed me down and I could just only laugh then, payed with cash and walked out shaking my head. Oh well, I'm shopping more often at MacDonald s now cause they serve you with a smile and oh yea, they except Google Wallet! : D

Sent from my GneX via Tapatalk

I tried Google Wallet for the first time yesterday at a McDs near me and the Mgr was a total jerk about the whole thing.

I placed my phone on the receiver end (not sure of the proper term) of the CC machine and my phone said sent or something like that. He then asked what I was doing and I explained I am using Google wallet to pay for my Large Diet Coke and a Yogurt Parfait, "well it looks like to me you are hacking the system". I assured him that I was doing no such thing and that it was completely legal and indeed a receipt came out of the register which he handed me.

I was given my order and I sat down to eat, about 5 minutes later a Police Officer comes over to me and asks to speak with me for a moment. He asks to see my phone and wants to know if I had modified it in any way as the Mgr said I somehow hacked his system. I explain that it is completely stock as I purchased it from Google and that Google (not me) included this piece of software Google Wallet and technology called NFC which allows me to use my phone like a CC to pay for item that accept MasterCard PayPass.

The Officer seemed unsure of the entire thing and asked again if I had modified the phone in any way, to which I again said no. I said, look, use your iPhone (which I saw on his belt) and go to Google and search for Google Wallet. Added to that since I had used my Citi MasterCard to pay for the purchase I offered to call Citi and have them speak with the Office and state they see a transaction from McD for the place and time of the transaction, I had nothing to hide and was willing to cooperate.

The Office did use his iPhone and did search for Google Wallet and went and spoke with the McD manager and after a few minutes came back to me and said that he explained to the Mgr that it seemed legitimate, but that in the future the Mgr would prefer that I pay with Cash or a physical CC, not my phone.

So, just be careful some people do not like the idea just yet and might like my experience call the Police to investigate.

Dan

You guys should submit those stories to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1821771. I am sure they will enjoy it.

Motorola Photon 4G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC