Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LCW
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which IMEI number to give AT&T?

Just got a Gnex from the Google Play store. Had to get a new sim. I understand that, when I activate the sim, if I give AT&T the actual IMEI from the Gnex, it will not show up as a smartphone. If I just give them the IMEI for my wife's AT&T Galaxy S2 instead, will this work? Or will that result in her getting kicked off of her data plan?

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: Which IMEI number to give AT&T?

Oh no... Can't do that....

IMEI/MAC/DEX/ESN etc.. they are all registered to certain devices. Mostlikely it won't even pass in their system if you try to do so, it will block the attempt.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I see. What have you guys been doing then? Just giving them the Gnex's actual IMEI and hoping you get a customer service rep competent enough to keep your data plan on?
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

you don't need to give AT&T your imei...

i'm using my iphone 4S sim in my galaxy nexus, no issues, everything works after just popping it in...

tell them you want a sim, but haven't bought the device yet... at&t doesn't need to know your business...
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One
    celliott96 likes this.

Can't answer for ATT, but when I went to T-Mo to get a SIM, there wasn't any info to give them other than personal details (name, address etc etc) and to be sure they put the data plan on the account.

I *then* went to best buy and bought the Nexus S outright and without service. Dropped the SIM and and off I went. There was something they forgot to do because data didn't work ... called support and told them I had a smartphone and they flipped some switch. But other than that, no issue.

Got my GNex and just moved the SIM over. Didn't tell anybody - except the wife as I figured she'd want to know what the large credit card bill was, lol

My AT&T store used one of the local S2 devices and just altered the last couple of digits to make it unique for me. That was the only way they could figure out how to get me on the right data plan.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    you don't need to give AT&T your imei...

i'm using my iphone 4S sim in my galaxy nexus, no issues, everything works after just popping it in...

tell them you want a sim, but haven't bought the device yet... at&t doesn't need to know your business...
    I'm not to sure about just putting my AT&T Sim in my new nexus, I have a Sony Neo V and I have a 3gb Data plan with AT&T and had to manually set the APN like 5 different ways before I could get data, AT&T wasn't any help, had to Google it to get the right APN settings, I hope that isn't the case with the G nexus. I guess I can just put my sim card in and try it, it was a real pain trying to find and set the correct APN settings on the Sony. Anyone else with a Google purchased Nexus have to screw with their APN settings?

Quote Originally Posted by PAC757 View Post
    I'm not to sure about just putting my AT&T Sim in my new nexus, I have a Sony Neo V and I have a 3gb Data plan with AT&T and had to manually set the APN like 5 different ways before I could get data, AT&T wasn't any help, had to Google it to get the right APN settings, I hope that isn't the case with the G nexus. I guess I can just put my sim card in and try it, it was a real pain trying to find and set the correct APN settings on the Sony. Anyone else with a Google purchased Nexus have to screw with their APN settings?
    Like many others here, mine just simply worked right away. I have AT&T. I just bought the Nexus, popped in my SIM card when the device arrived at my doorstep, and I can make calls and have data and everything. Not sure why some people have to alter APN's; there must be some variable that's changing between us all here, but I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jonneh View Post
    Like many others here, mine just simply worked right away. I have AT&T. I just bought the Nexus, popped in my SIM card when the device arrived at my doorstep, and I can make calls and have data and everything. Not sure why some people have to alter APN's; there must be some variable that's changing between us all here, but I don't know what it is.
    That's the way mine worked when I switched from and iPhone 4S to the Galaxy Nexus I purchased from Google last Wednesday. I just aligned the micro SIM in the SIM card slot, turned the phone on, and I was on my way. It automatically configured my AT&T voicemail settings and the data worked right away. No custom configuration or messing around with APN settings needed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." - Dale Carnegie

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

After returning my HOX yesterday, and my data plan was actually dropped. Called in and gave them the IMEI of my nexus and the only data plan they could add to my account was the 3g smartphone unlimited. My speed have been cut in half so I'm sure I need another IMEI to give them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by nino313 View Post
    After returning my HOX yesterday, and my data plan was actually dropped. Called in and gave them the IMEI of my nexus and the only data plan they could add to my account was the 3g smartphone unlimited. My speed have been cut in half so I'm sure I need another IMEI to give them
    This was why my AT&T store had to use a phone that could get me the HSPA+ plan (that is according to them). Every time they put in the IMEI on my phone, it came up as a Blackberry 3G plan. So they took one of their Galaxy SII devices and used that IMEI number, but changed out the last 2 digits to make it unique and they said that those last digits didn't really matter so there shouldn't ever be a conflict in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Oh no... Can't do that....

IMEI/MAC/DEX/ESN etc.. they are all registered to certain devices. Mostlikely it won't even pass in their system if you try to do so, it will block the attempt.
    Wow, this information is so very wrong. I don't know where you heard this, but you can have 5 lines on an account, all with the same IMEI in their system. It doesn't mean anything, except for data provisioning. You can't tell AT&T you have a Skyrocket if you don't have a 4G-capable SIM card, and you can't tell them you have a GSII if you're using a Skyrocket- their data plans don't line up properly.

Still, your post is not correct.