bricked my galaxy nexus I think, help

notherdude

May 19, 2012
Visit site
was using the gnes root toolkit v 1.3 in an attempt to unlock and root. Got through driver installs and was "unlocking" phone when problem occurred. Phone appeared to be stuck .on flash screen after what I thought was a successful unlock so I removed battery and attempted to reboot phone. Now phone powers on and I see the word "google" and an icon of an unlocked lock at bottom of screen but phone simply makes a small vibration and cycles through display of above described screen. I got into what I think is called "fastboot" and tried " recovery mode" but a picture of an android with his belly opened up lying on his back with an exclamation mark comes up and nothing else. Any ideas?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
see if you can flash back to stock (which will unroot but still leaves you unlocked). I had a similar scare, and flashing back to stock got me going again. My 2nd attempt at rooting went off with no problems.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Just saw your post. Glad you got it figured out! It is a little scary (esp if you "soft brick" it the first time, like I did), but a little patience and some research saved me :)

I use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit, but am slowly learning the ins and outs of ClockWorkMod Recovery. Rooting itself was far harder and scarier then trying my first ROM. (I tried AKOP 5 Milestone... but went back to stock for now). I've since switched basebands as well to improve radio performance. I just did that today so we'll see how it settles in

Reactions: notherdude

notherdude

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Just saw your post. Glad you got it figured out! It is a little scary (esp if you "soft brick" it the first time, like I did), but a little patience and some research saved me :)

I use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit, but am slowly learning the ins and outs of ClockWorkMod Recovery. Rooting itself was far harder and scarier then trying my first ROM. (I tried AKOP 5 Milestone... but went back to stock for now). I've since switched basebands as well to improve radio performance. I just did that today so we'll see how it settles in

When I got the picture of the android with his belly opened up I gave up too soon when nothing seemed to happen but in my most recent attempt either by guessing the correct button push or else by waiting long enough the usual screen popped up with the option to flash back to factory settings. I think I sort of panicked due to the anxiety of what was at stake. Patience is key when rooting you phone!

I installed clockwork on my original droid and also put on custom roms and such but in the end I really didn't see a lot of value in that so this time I went for the simpler approach which offered a very easy way in, and out, should I need to make a warranty claim on the new phone.

Thanks again for your help. Your feeling that I should still be able to flash back was just the push I needed to take another crack at it in recovery mode.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey, notherdude! I dunno if you'll see this, but just a little something to make you feel better. This weekend it took me at least 6 tries to get a ROM running without getting stuck either the Google splash screen (when you first turn it on) or at the animation. I stopped counting after that :p

But..... I kept trying, re-read instructions over and over, and finally tonight I managed to get it working! So make sure your important stuff is backed up OFF the phone, and make sure you have a factory image on your computer you can flash onto your phone should something go bad on you. Other then that, be patient, take your time... and you'll get through most of your problems :)

jteply13

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem. When phone boots, it get stuck on the (google X) Jelly bean. I try the power + Vol button. And it just keeps me waiting. How do I get out of this problem? It happened when I tried to add a custom rom. I am a newbie to this stuff.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Mjayd

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus
please help
bricked mine too only got dead screen no recovery mode no fastboot just dead
the battery is charged find all sorts of fixes but none for this so far have high hopes though seems i have to return dead phone to google
thanks

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus
please help
bricked mine too only got dead screen no recovery mode no fastboot just dead
the battery is charged find all sorts of fixes but none for this so far have high hopes though seems i have to return dead phone to google
thanks

First of all, be absolutely sure your battery is charged (if you can, swap batteries with another Galaxy Nexus to be sure).

If you know the battery is fully charged, take the battery out of the phone, and leave it out for at least a minute. Put it back in, then press and hold in both the volume down and volume up buttons. Keep holding them, and press and hold the power button. It might take as long as 10 seconds, but you phone SHOULD power up.

Someone else might have some ideas to help you out. Best of luck.

Mjayd

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
First of all, be absolutely sure your battery is charged (if you can, swap batteries with another Galaxy Nexus to be sure).

If you know the battery is fully charged, take the battery out of the phone, and leave it out for at least a minute. Put it back in, then press and hold in both the volume down and volume up buttons. Keep holding them, and press and hold the power button. It might take as long as 10 seconds, but you phone SHOULD power up.

Someone else might have some ideas to help you out. Best of luck.

Yes tried all that dont have another nexus battery but chkd with a meter still chargd every fix i have tried still no response from phone thanks anyways unfortunately i bought ph on craigslist so no warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge