1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Arrow 24 hours after first ever GNEX

Hey y'all

I just got my first major smart phone which is a GNex yesterday. Upgraded from an HTC Magic!

Installed AOKP M5 > Franco M3 > Latest Radios KL1 > Nova Launcher
    • I couldn't download Gapps from Aokp site. Not working. Downloaded from others but it doesn't work when i flash and reboot

The Gnex is super duper sexy but i have few problems sort of....

• It feels really fragile and it doesn't help that when one-handing it i feel like it's going to drop
    • It lags when i have live wallpaper
    • When the screens all white, there's a noticeable faint thick horizontal green band on the right side. (Should i ask for an exchange? May not be worth the trouble to only get a replacement that's worse?)

Also i thought AOKP was supposed to be super customizable. But,
    • it can't hide the google search bar
    • it can't make desktop rotate
    • it can't adjust time-out to lockscreen time (seriously?)
    • am i doing something wrong? Nova Launcher can for 1,2 but not 3 either.

What i miss from my old HTC Magic >> The trackball!

I wonder if it is possible to work in some kind of virtual trackball in the Nav bar? That would rule!

Default Re: 24 hours after first ever GNEX

for screen rotation: go to your apps drawer. Hit menu (top right). Select Nova Settings. Select "look and feel". Select Screen Orientation. Set this to "Auto Rotate"

to remove Google search bar: go to your apps drawer. Hit menu (top right). Select Nova Settings. Select Desktop. Select Persistent Search Bar. Change it to whatever you want (I have mine set to "Landscape only" you might prefer to set yours to "never"

to adjust screen time-out: pull down your settings, select display, set "sleep" to however long or short you prefer.

I hope this helps you.

Wallpaper...phase beam is the one that will not lag.

Screen, up to you. Purple tint seems to be more of an issue

Get a case if you are that worried. This is a 2 handed device

Gapps, just keep trying. I had the same issue last week.

I use the stock launcher. You should try trebuchet though.

Lastly, enjoy your phone. Look at the funny faces you can make in gchat/video recording. My wife and kids have been loving this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

If you read the review of the Galaxy Nexus on Android Central, they point out which two live wallpapers cause lag. All of the others should not. If you're finding lag on a live wallpaper such as phase beam, there is something else going on there.

Ultimately, the Galaxy Nexus is a two handed device for doing a lot of things. However, you should be able to use one hand (depending on the size of your hands) when trying to perform something quick, like going into Settings to check on something or launching an app.

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for almost 4 weeks without a case. It has not slipped out of my hand and has not gotten scratched on either the screen or body. I either keep it on a table close by or in my pocket when I'm on the go.

Regarding tint, I notice that sometimes when I'm using my Galaxy Nexus under artificial light and look at the screen from the side, there is a bluish tint. Other than that, the screen is great. Of course, I don't look at anything that is just white. Things I look at usually include text and/or images.
    "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." - Dale Carnegie

From the OP's message sounds like someone didn't read the manual.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    for screen rotation: go to your apps drawer. Hit menu (top right). Select Nova Settings. Select "look and feel". Select Screen Orientation. Set this to "Auto Rotate"

to remove Google search bar: go to your apps drawer. Hit menu (top right). Select Nova Settings. Select Desktop. Select Persistent Search Bar. Change it to whatever you want (I have mine set to "Landscape only" you might prefer to set yours to "never"

to adjust screen time-out: pull down your settings, select display, set "sleep" to however long or short you prefer.

I hope this helps you.
    Thanks man! The screen time out instruction helped a lot.

The faint green bar problem is like it's burnt in the back of the screen. The other side it's noticeably warmer like orangey. I don't know what complaining to the store i got it from can do. I am in Asia and it's hard to return stuff here lol.

Does anyone know why when i watch HD video on youtube it doesn't show as such. I am on a mobile network. The bars says 'H' on the side. Does youtube automatically adjust quality down because of lower streaming speeds?

I wanna test if i can see the green aberration in HD snow videos, not just on the back of white internet pages. But when it's on a colour picture or on a black background > sexy!