Galaxy nexus with straight Talk?

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using the triumph with virgin Mobile (25$/mo) and while I love my phone, where I live, the network could do with a lot of improvements.
If sprint doesn't do upgrades to their network with this new iPhone of their's, I'll be forced to change carriers, because I don't want to get constant slow Internet atop of getting terribly spotty signal strength work (machine shop) and zero signal when I go to deal island to visit my mommom.

Anyway, I've heard that straight Talk uses verizon and a few other companies for signal.

So my question, if I bought the Google galaxy(unlocked) nexus and did byop on that would I be covered by all their networks or what?

And if not, could I with one of their branded phones(and if so, which ones)? Cuz I am willing to pay 55$/mo for great signal, although I will miss my monthly bill of 25$/mo

Sent from my Triumph using Android Central Forums

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using the triumph with virgin Mobile (25$/mo) and while I love my phone, where I live, the network could do with a lot of improvements.
If sprint doesn't do upgrades to their network with this new iPhone of their's, I'll be forced to change carriers, because I don't want to get constant slow Internet atop of getting terribly spotty signal strength work (machine shop) and zero signal when I go to deal island to visit my mommom.

Anyway, I've heard that straight Talk uses verizon and a few other companies for signal.

So my question, if I bought the Google galaxy(unlocked) nexus and did byop on that would I be covered by all their networks or what?

And if not, could I with one of their branded phones(and if so, which ones)? Cuz I am willing to pay 55$/mo for great signal, although I will miss my monthly bill of 25$/mo

No Verizon phons can be used on Straighttalks network but a GSM phone can be used

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't asking about using a verizon phone-I'm asking about the Google galaxy nexus you can buy from the google play store.

I've heard that they use verizon towers along with a few other networks, and since vzw gets the best signal around here(but I'm not willing/able to shell out 85$/mo.)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't asking about using a verizon phone-I'm asking about the Google galaxy nexus you can buy from the google play store.

I've heard that they use verizon towers along with a few other networks, and since vzw gets the best signal around here(but I'm not willing/able to shell out 85$/mo.)

No it WILL NOT work with Verizon. The unlocked Gnex is a GSM Phone. So on STrait talk you can buy a SIM card for either ATT or Tmo. Also be warned they dont really have "unlimited data!" You are only allowed about 100megs a day of NON-streaming content and about 2gigs of data a month. If you go over these in anyway they will you and warn you. Then if you do it again they will cut you off and you will lose your phone number.

But its a great deal for a user who doesn't use data all that much or has who have access to WiFi at all times.

Hope this helps! Not trying to scare you away just giving out the facts!

Cheers!

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Okie dokie thanks! That blows that idea out of the water, then, but at least I've saved ALL THOSE MONIES! :p

So for that, a HUGE thanks!

Quick question, what about with their branded phones? Obviously the nexus won't won't work with it(because of the reason you suggested) but do you know if it would work with straightalk's branded/locked androids?

Anyway, android central posted that they do use multiple carrier towers: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-precedent-coming-straight-talk

BUT the problem is, do they even have a phone that will work with the towers from different carriers(like can switch from a Verizon tower to a sprint one if need be?) I also have family in glen-rock and the signal for VZW there is the worst, whereas sprint has good reception.

Would roaming work that way if I just got a verizon phone?

I feel like I know so little about mobiles :(

huffphil

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I have just made the switch from Sprint to Straight Talk with my new Google Galaxy Nexus. I knew I wanted to go to ST after looking around at the coverage of both ATT and TMobile in my area. Sprint had good coverage here, but the speeds were horrible for the most part. When I bought the GSM unlocked phone I knew I had to use either one of these carriers since they are GSM, but ST seemed like a good deal for unlimited for $45 a month. When I switched I had to pick what SIM card to buy for $15 and I went with ATT since their towers had better coverage at home and work for me.

At home and work I have been using Wifi for the most part, but I have not run into any warnings about data usage and I have used over 250mb in one day streaming music. Even if they start to give warnings about too much data usage, since I have an unlocked GSM phone, I can just switch to another plan. I would move to the TMobile $30 plan for 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5 GB of data. I usually averaged about 2.5 GB of data on my Sprint plan anyway.

So, I would recommend the ST plan with the Galaxy Nexus after just a week so far. Speeds on ATT's network that ST uses has been much better than Sprint.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The word over at xda is that if you are on StraightTalkAtt, clear the proxy field in your APN settings. It should allow you to use more data supposedly. My proxy field is empty but I never even come close to the limit anyways, so not sure if it helps or not.

And you can use any GSM unlocked, GSM att, GSM T-Mobile phone as long as they are compatible on US GSM frequencies. See straighttalksim for more info.

STsim only use the towers that are compatible with the sim you purchase which is either T-Mobile or Att towers. Nothing cdma will work on the prepaid straighttalksim bring your own phone plan. Sprint and Verizon phones will not work, they are carrier locked.

Sent from my GSM Nexus

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
No it WILL NOT work with Verizon. The unlocked Gnex is a GSM Phone. So on STrait talk you can buy a SIM card for either ATT or Tmo. Also be warned they dont really have "unlimited data!" You are only allowed about 100megs a day of NON-streaming content and about 2gigs of data a month. If you go over these in anyway they will you and warn you. Then if you do it again they will cut you off and you will lose your phone number.

But its a great deal for a user who doesn't use data all that much or has who have access to WiFi at all times.

Hope this helps! Not trying to scare you away just giving out the facts!

Cheers!

Exactly the point I was trying to get across in a few words but apparently someone didn't understand. *glares*

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Exactly the point I was trying to get across in a few words but apparently someone didn't understand. *glares*

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you were trying to say, I mean I was asking about the towers.

I noted I'm not very smart with mobiles, and I'm sosososososo very sorry, please forgive me *sobs* ;_;

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been with ST for almost 5 months now on my iPhone 4S and no complains so far. I average my data by limiting video streaming (only on wi fi) and I use Approx like 1.5GB per month. I also have a smart data monitoring app. Called Data Usage to no go over that daily 100MB/day threshold. You'll be ok and saving $$$$ :)

View attachment 27817

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What if you have a Verizon galaxy nexus and you unlock the phone will it work on gsm networks?? Please help :)
I just upgraded to this phone and don't even have service yet just using over WiFi and I'm in love. Thank you
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
The older vzw phones are cdma only, so it will not work on a gsm network like att/tmobile (straight talk). The only prepaid service you may be able to use with a Verizon Gnex is pageplus and I'm not even sure about that. I'd ask the question in both the Verizon galaxy nexus forum and the mobile carriers forum. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What if you have a Verizon galaxy nexus and you unlock the phone will it work on gsm networks?? Please help :)
I just upgraded to this phone and don't even have service yet just using over WiFi and I'm in love. Thank you

Unlocking a phone is now illegal. So make sure you ask your carrier if they can unlock it for you first.

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What if phone was previously unlocked before I bought it what can I do then??

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What if phone was previously unlocked before I bought it what can I do then??

I think if its not a gsm phone then it will not work with a gsm carrier because of the required sim card slot. You can flash it to like Sprint, cricket anything that has a cdma but i dont think you can use a gsm carrier with a verizon nexus.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

The short answer is it will not work. You can get it to work with a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon but not a GSM carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12