No Data Plan?

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I know the VZW and Sprint versions require a data plan. But the "unlocked" version that you buy from the Google Play store, can it be used without hooking it up to a carrier and activated with home Wi-Fi? Basically in the future when the unlimited data plans disappear looking to have a cell phone but don't really have a need for mobile data other then when at wifi spots. Esp with google maps going offline. Since it is unlocked why would you need to be tied to a carriers data plan? If not is there a pay as you go data sim that could be used to activate and then be disabled?

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I know the VZW and Sprint versions require a data plan. But the "unlocked" version that you buy from the Google Play store, can it be used without hooking it up to a carrier and activated with home Wi-Fi?
Yes. You need a voip app (I use Talkatone in conjunction with Google Voice) to make calls and do sms texting over wifi.

Since it is unlocked why would you need to be tied to a carriers data plan? If not is there a pay as you go data sim that could be used to activate and then be disabled?
Carriers give you "mobile" options because many people are not within wifi access most of the time. Check out prepaid T-Mobile and AT&T (and/or others who use these carriers). I, on the other hand, have to rely on home wifi because I can't get a signal where I live. I'm using T-Mobile's $30 mo 100 talk 4g plan which works for me everywhere I've been except for a mile radius around my home. No shackles on these plans. Month-to-month or by-the-minute/MB/etc. FWIW, other carriers don't do much better in my area.

sent from my TT (terrific Thrive) using TT (Tapatalk)

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile also has a $30 plan for 1500 (texts or minutes or combo of) which may work for you. Its a prepaid plan. Also Sims are .99 cents today for tmobile

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Or just buy service, either prepaid or postpaid, without data; I don't think they can force you into a data plan. Esp. T-Mo just tell them you need a SIM for a flip phone you bought online. I would think it's doable :)

Heck, if for some reason they insist you give them a model number, here's the model of my little flip phone I carry for those times I don't want to carry my smartphone: Samsung SGH-T139. I believe it was actually a pre-paid phone in its former life, from T-Mobile. Just be sure to turn off Mobile Data on your GN to prevent it from trying to use data. WIFi will still work.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay so with the VZW phone you take it out of the box and it just sits there till you have cell phone coverage. With the Google Nexus it can be started and sync'd with a Google account with just wifi?

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Using VoIP any phone with a WiFi connection can be used. Vzw, sprint, or otherwise. Like others have said there are options in all android phones to restrict data usage to WiFi only. So when you go to a carrier you can only sign up for talk and text and have your phone limit its data access to only WiFi.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay so with the VZW phone you take it out of the box and it just sits there till you have cell phone coverage. With the Google Nexus it can be started and sync'd with a Google account with just wifi?

Android doesn't care. A network connection is a network connection, doesn't matter if it's 3G or WiFi. It will display a "No Sim" message and icon, but that's it.

(NOTE: This is for data only. For voice you do need service from a provider, or use VoIP. Never looked into VoIP, but the other responses here will get you started)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37