Question about sim card.

mindlesstux

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the nexus to replace my captivate that is now having issues. If I am looking at things right, I could take my sim card from the captivate and put it in the nexus. Then I realized that the nexus is capable of H+. If I were to put a sim card for my account that only supports 3g will the nexus only connect on 3g or slower? Or will I need to go visit my local att store and get a new sim card and upgrade to the "4g" plan?

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think that you should just be able to use the same SIM and it would access those higher speeds, since the 3G and 4G I think use the same bands/wavelength.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Same SIM will work, everything will work unless you have to do some APN changes.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You can't get Hspa+ with an Hspa sim. The good news is that an Hspa+ sim is free and they will be happy to provision one for you. No changes to your plan.

I used my old Hspa sim happily since I got the GN and just had a new one(Hspa+) provisioned last night. No APN changes. So your old sim will work fine you just won't get Hspa+ speeds.

My old sim was from my i4,I had it in an adapter tray for the GN. Since its easier to put a microsim into a regular sim slot, I had them provision a micro sim and put it back in my adapter tray. If I need to swap it into a microsim phone I'll be all set. I'll just take it out of the tray.

They claimed an Hspa+ sim would not work im my iphone4, I am going to try it right now to find out. EDIT: They didn't know what they were talking about the new Hspa+ sim works in my Hspa iphone4! I am curious whether an LTE Sim will work.

On my stock ROM an H seems to indicate Hspa+ and 3G seems to indicate Hspa.

Last edited:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
For those using GV After updating my sim, I had to log out and then log back in and configure google voice app to get it to work again...just a heads up.

designwebs

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Along this same topic. I have a HTC Thunderbolt. Could I take the sim card out of it and put it in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it work the same.:)