What is the "keychain" app on my Galaxy Nexus?

Dtim56

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to Android and this is my first post here, although I'm always hanging around picking up hints/tips/info.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM) and recently installed Onavo to monitor my data usage as I only have 500mb on my plan. Whilst taking a look at what apps are using most of my data I noticed that, pretty high up the list, there is a system app called "keychain" which has used 9.2MB this month.

Can anyone tell me a) what the app is and b) why it's using data? It's not really causing an issue in terms of me nearing my limit, I just have no idea what it's for. Any help is appreciated.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Credentials management: login for Google services, gmail, google talk, google voice, market, etc.

Your usage seems rather high for that app. Are you sure you aren't running your Gmail as a Pop Account instead of Imap?

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to Android and this is my first post here, although I'm always hanging around picking up hints/tips/info.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM) and recently installed Onavo to monitor my data usage as I only have 500mb on my plan. Whilst taking a look at what apps are using most of my data I noticed that, pretty high up the list, there is a system app called "keychain" which has used 9.2MB this month.

Can anyone tell me a) what the app is and b) why it's using data? It's not really causing an issue in terms of me nearing my limit, I just have no idea what it's for. Any help is appreciated.

You do realize that ICS has a built in data monitor/limiter right? Settings, Data Usage

Dtim56

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes I realised there is a data monitor built in. I was mainly using onavo for compression but happened to notice this.

I thought that it might be something to do with logins etc but wasn't sure. And yes the usage does seem high for that.

My Gmail is setup as imap, and I have a work account which is also imap.

Onavo does seem to be over estimating my usage generally so may remove it and see what the native one says. Atm, all my data is routed through onavo and shows up as such on native monitor so I can compare the two.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Dtim56

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems to work fine but haven't used it in a while. It also seems to over estimate usage slightly compared to my carrier's figures though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

littlechicie

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
This app. is used for your little store discount cards. you put the information from the store discount card in this app. and you don't have to carry those stupid little cards on your keychain any longer. Then at the register you just pull up that stores card info and they scan ur phone like the cards.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
This app. is used for your little store discount cards. you put the information from the store discount card in this app. and you don't have to carry those stupid little cards on your keychain any longer. Then at the register you just pull up that stores card info and they scan ur phone like the cards.

Have you confused keychain with key ring?

ejanehyr.jpg

I have both, key ring does as you say. Key Chain stores credentials for logging into Google, etc.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2