When the 4.1 ota

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So my nexus is coming this week. Im coming from an iphone. i jailbreak my iphones all the time but rooting an android seems so much more confusing. Doing this way here, I wont have to root. is this the jelly bean preview? Will i still be able to get the official release of jelly bean when then comes out later this month? Thanks

When I had a Iphone I jailbroke it. Rooting is much more fun but a lot riskier. Once you learn how, it's pretty awesome. Once you flash Clockworkmod (or whatever custom recovery you choose) you can do a lot.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted, run custom ROMS and now running a release of JB. I miss the customization of the custom ROMS but I love the slick smooth speed of JB.

Unlocking the bootloader and rooting is pretty easy (for me the hardest part was finding drivers that would work properly). After that it was a piece of cake!

Davidjacobs21

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
so my nexus should arrive in the next 2 days. I'm also going to look into get the s3 to compare. If i do this way to get jelly bean on the nexus and find that i like the s3 better, I assume im going to have get it back to ice cream sandwich before i can return it. Anybody know how i would do that? Thanks

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted, run custom ROMS and now running a release of JB. I miss the customization of the custom ROMS but I love the slick smooth speed of JB.

Unlocking the bootloader and rooting is pretty easy (for me the hardest part was finding drivers that would work properly). After that it was a piece of cake!

I swear I have PTSD after searching for the GSM GNex Samsung drivers. Especially since it inevitably always happens that I have to download the SDK, install Java, and find the drivers at 3am.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean. Esp since this is my first Android and my first time rooting a phone. Happily thanks to Wuggs toolkit, once I found the drivers (and stopped beating my head against the desk in frustration) the rest was easy!

Of course I did boot loop a couple times (from rookie mistakes) but heck... its part of learning!

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I was reading somwere were it said "if you?re not in possession of the ?Takju? U.S. GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus you?re out of luck"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

So, I would assume that if I buy my GNex from the Google Play store, that it is this very version and that Google will update it?

piczon1983

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded GNofficialUpdate and it says my nexus is Takju. But it says it is NOT updated by google. Any info on this? Sorry if it has been answered already.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
GNofficialUpdate was an app released last year, as it was becoming known about the different variants of the Galaxy Nexus image. It is no longer maintained and doesn't know about TAKJU.

The app doesn't do anything special. It's not like it looked online or anything. It just looked in the build.prop file. Then it was a simple "if/then" construct:

if build=yakju then say "supported by Google"
else say "Not supported by google".

(This example is a just that, an example. Not real code. :) )

Reactions: piczon1983

ragebunny

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
just to clarify some points here.
1) you do not need to root to make an update this is totally wrong!
to update GN to 4.1 you can use
Android Jelly Bean is out! Time to update :) ? AndWise
personnaly tested on takju, yakju, yakjuxw
2)as somebody said takju, yakju are just manes for software profiles wit no major differences. and these are pushed from google. yakjuXX is pushed from Samsung or SP.

Hey guys, i'm reading this tutorial, my nexus is Yakju. I was wondering why we have to use clockwork mod for Yakju and not Takju?

I noticed that the Yakju section requires us to wipe the factory data as well, why is this? Why can't we just load the rom onto the memory card and install the updated from like Takju?

Sorry if there is something real obvious that i'm not getting.

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to wait for the official 4.1 from Google for the nexus that I just ordered yesterday.

Sent from my N860 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to wait for the official 4.1 from Google for the nexus that I just ordered yesterday.

Sent from my N860 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I'm thinking about waiting for the official update also, when I receive my phone. I downloaded the leaks for both Yakju & Takju just in case though.

asdf12321

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, i'm reading this tutorial, my nexus is Yakju. I was wondering why we have to use clockwork mod for Yakju and not Takju?...

Hi. I have a yakju phone myself and followed the yakju instructions but I skipped the step of wiping and it worked just fine and didn't loose anything.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, i'm reading this tutorial, my nexus is Yakju. I was wondering why we have to use clockwork mod for Yakju and not Takju?

I noticed that the Yakju section requires us to wipe the factory data as well, why is this? Why can't we just load the rom onto the memory card and install the updated from like Takju?

Sorry if there is something real obvious that i'm not getting.

Hi. I have a yakju phone myself and followed the yakju instructions but I skipped the step of wiping and it worked just fine and didn't loose anything.

Yeah in general it's best practice to do a full data wipe when flashing significant ROM changes, but not always required. Usually I do a "dirty flash" (no data wipe) and if I get a bunch of errors, force closes, and/or buggy behavior, I go back and do a full wipe and reflash.

ragebunny

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah in general it's best practice to do a full data wipe when flashing significant ROM changes, but not always required. Usually I do a "dirty flash" (no data wipe) and if I get a bunch of errors, force closes, and/or buggy behavior, I go back and do a full wipe and reflash.

Oh so it doesn't matter which type i have, i theory i could do it with just the first method but may run into bugs?

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone think that the OTA release will be affected by the lawsuit? It seems like it won't, but the patent gripes make me wonder. Has anyone seen anything on the subject? This is my first Nexus and I don't feel quite ready to flash a new ROM yet.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh so it doesn't matter which type i have, i theory i could do it with just the first method but may run into bugs?

I can't speak for that tutorial but what I did was just go through ROM Manager's built in ROM selection and downloaded stock JB. That zip should work for any GSM Nexus as far as I know. I would suggest a full wipe and remember it won't be rooted and you may have to reflash Clockworkmod via fastboot.

ragebunny

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for that tutorial but what I did was just go through ROM Manager's built in ROM selection and downloaded stock JB. That zip should work for any GSM Nexus as far as I know. I would suggest a full wipe and remember it won't be rooted and you may have to reflash Clockworkmod via fastboot.

Thanks for the help people. I finally have Jelly bean running and its smooth.

To do it i kind of used a few sources of information, first i used this video:
PART 1| Galaxy Nexus FULL CUSTOMIZATION TUTORIAL, JELLY BEAN 4.1 - YouTube

It runs through a cool tool called "Galaxy Nexus Toolkit". But i also used to information i read on this forum as well as other tutorials.

The Galaxy Nexus tool kit is amazing in all fairness. Opens the phone up with no messing.

This is the toolkit:
[GNex TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE [GSM] - xda-developers

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone think that the OTA release will be affected by the lawsuit? It seems like it won't, but the patent gripes make me wonder. Has anyone seen anything on the subject? This is my first Nexus and I don't feel quite ready to flash a new ROM yet.

I came here to ask this question......now with the Nexus banned from sales will that effect the OTA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress