I ordered my first Android (the Nexus)

thadoggfather

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Been using iPhone since iOS 1.x, and jailbroken since day one as well.

I could never go iOS this long stock. I dunno how people do.

I hope to pleased with this thing. $380 shipped, I couldn't say no. I've wanted to try an android for years, just to say I did and know if the grass is greener or not, but this seemed like a perfect opportunity.

Currently have a jailbroken 4S. Just sick of 3.5" and how iOS6 doesn't seem that different. I wanna try something new. And I use Google products enough, it's worth a shot.

I love my iPad3, and even if I really like this Nexus, I'll be hard pressed to pry it from my hands. It'll satisfy the void of not having iOS.

4S cam is great, but everything else, seems like Nexus is a winner.

I almost was tempted to try a GSIII but this is perfect in case the next iPhone wows me over (don't think it will, prolly LTE, 4" screen, and that fugly leak design, 19 pin connector, same processor variant) I won't be touching that upgrade.

Plus I like that I got 4S through Craigslist (upgraded from 4, mostly for cam and speed increase, siri is sort of whatever as far as I'm concerned and I'll have it on iPad3) so I haven't touched a renewal since iPhone 4 launch. I wouldn't mind keeping it that way if the Nexus works out.

What would be the perfect Jelly Bean to load up on it? I saw videos on YouTube, dang that is a smooth OS. It's like "iOS smooth" (and sort of makes it look pale in comparison of 'buttery'-ness tbh). Can I always go back to stock if I need to (for warranty or if I want to return the device within the return policy because I can't adjust)?

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
When you get the phone root it and unlock the boot loader. Then you can boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup. This will make a complete backup of the phone so if you want to go back to the stock rom you can. I like aokp roms but people vary on what they like.

CletusJones

May 18, 2010
Visit site
you won't regret it. I :heart: my gnex. One of the nicest phones I've used, and I love that I didn't have to go through some ridiculous process to unlock the bootloader. yay for developer devices!

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Congrats and enjoy it! This is my 3rd android phone and they just keep getting better and better. You wont have any regrets!

thadoggfather

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I played with a GSIII in stores today too.

I prefer the GSIII screen, but Nexus isn't bad and I like the curve screen and design of Nexus more.

And I love the idea of a phone completely under the helm of Google.

Capacitive buttons, even if you can flash the phone to be like vanilla, suck on GSIII.

And the Nexus cam aint as bad as I was thinking it was going to be, though it's no 4S in that department.

What would be a good jelly bean rom to load up on it? And a good tutorial for doing this (while backing up the stock f/w in case I need to load it back for warranty, resell, etc)

tl24s

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP, I currently have a 4S (this is my first iOS device, I came from Android) and I have to say... I'm dead bored of iOS and what it has to offer... The ONLY reason why I'm still on the 4S is for the camera, I take a lot of pictures and videos and the 4S is the one to beat in this department. However, I'm about ready to switch once the new Nexus is revealed and who knows when that'll be?

So at this point I'm in the market for a GNexus to hold me down till the new Nexus comes out. Some may say it's not worth it since there's only a few months left till Google announces it but fudge it, I want some of that Jelly Bean goodness!!!! LOL!

**UPDATE**

Just as I was typing this I found a used GNexus in mint condition for $240! Going to pick it up after work! haha I'm excited!!

Last edited:

thadoggfather

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I <3 my nexus. Cam isn't as bad as I was expecting, but no 4S. Almost everything else about Nexus I prefer so far.

This phone has a serious wow factor --the screen and design are excellent imo. Landscape youtube watching zomg

Flashed to JB the day after I got it (though I find ICS excellent as well)

and just loaded the 4.1.1 OTA an hour ago :D

I sold my 4S a few days ago and between that and getting my GNex, I profited almost enough to cover a $199 iPhone upgrade if I so desire (which I'm beginning to doubt, this android is really enjoyable. especially coming from jailbroken iOS scene. But I will always enjoy my iPad3 alongside)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I <3 my nexus. Cam isn't as bad as I was expecting, but no 4S. Almost everything else about Nexus I prefer so far.

This phone has a serious wow factor --the screen and design are excellent imo. Landscape youtube watching zomg

Flashed to JB the day after I got it (though I find ICS excellent as well)

and just loaded the 4.1.1 OTA an hour ago :D

I sold my 4S a few days ago and between that and getting my GNex, I profited almost enough to cover a $199 iPhone upgrade if I so desire (which I'm beginning to doubt, this android is really enjoyable. especially coming from jailbroken iOS scene. But I will always enjoy my iPad3 alongside)
what are the data speeds you are getting with your Nexus? I'm on LTE plan and my speeds on GN are really low (not more than 4mbps DL) i think when you are on an iphone data plan and use your sim card with the GN the speeds differ a lot, thanks in advance.

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
what are the data speeds you are getting with your Nexus? I'm on LTE plan and my speeds on GN are really low (not more than 4mbps DL) i think when you are on an iphone data plan and use your sim card with the GN the speeds differ a lot, thanks in advance.

Are you using the APN settings mentioned in earlier threads? That solved the issue for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the APN settings mentioned in earlier threads? That solved the issue for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yes I tried all three APN settings and getting the same results on all of them. no difference at all.. this thread here http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/155386-what-apn-settings-you-using-t.html
also in this thread it says I have to be on a corrrect data plan which is not what I have right now... [FIX] AT&T SGS2 Data Speed Issue's (Correct APN Settings) - xda-developers this is for the unlocked gs2 should be the same for GN though... I think I have to remove LTE from my data plan

sen2020

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I came from a iPhone 4S i used to be obsessed had every iPhone there was and then i bought a nexus, and i really do not know why i didn't make the change years ago! :)

CHIN087#AC

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got a nexus on Verizon and I'm thinking the same thing. I hadn't realized how far android has come since the og droid. I loved that phone, but then they started bogging the new ones down with blur and sense and CRAP! THIS NEXUS IS ABSOLUTELY REFRESHING! Never again will I touch an iPhone as long as Google keeps these nexus devices coming every year or two.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just got my Gnex came from a s2. Loving these unlimited lte speeds

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354881060204.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354881060204.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 36

Trending Posts