Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Petition For Memory Cards on Future Nexus Devices

Quote Originally Posted by bobvanjr View Post
    I've totally changed my mind! Heck, I actually wish they'd REDUCE it to 5 or 6 gb. No one could possibly use more than 6 could they? I see NO POSSIBLE way.
    Let's see...

Playing N.O.V.A. 3, and Dead Space, and recently finished Shadowgun.
    Rooted so I always keep my apps and data backed up with Titanium Backup. And I currently have 2 Nandroid backups saved.
    That's over 12GB right there. And I haven't even gotten into music, pictures, and videos.

5GB or 6GB (or even 16GB) might work for you, but some people need more storage.

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Let's see...

Playing N.O.V.A. 3, and Dead Space, and recently finished Shadowgun.
    Rooted so I always keep my apps and data backed up with Titanium Backup. And I currently have 2 Nandroid backups saved.
    That's over 12GB right there. And I haven't even gotten into music, pictures, and videos.

Sorry, my sarcasm must not have been heavy enough. I'm with you. The more storage the better.

5GB or 6GB (or even 16GB) might work for you, but some people need more storage.

I think they should just make 32gb and 64gb models and go away from the 16gb. I don't like sd cards. Much perfer internal memory.
    United States Air Force

@bobvanjr Gotcha. :-)

Sorry, I quoted you but what I wrote about the smaller amount of storage was my attempt at sarcasm but for some reason what I wrote didn't show up. I think you got it though right? There's no such thing as too much storage for me. For me. I'd prefer removable but I'll take it built in. Either way, I'd like more. Sorry if my attempt to be more clear wasn't clear

Quote Originally Posted by bobvanjr View Post
    Sorry, I quoted you but what I wrote about the smaller amount of storage was my attempt at sarcasm but for some reason what I wrote didn't show up. I think you got it though right? There's no such thing as too much storage for me. For me. I'd prefer removable but I'll take it built in. Either way, I'd like more. Sorry if my attempt to be more clear wasn't clear
    It showed up but it in the middle of the quote. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gaetawoo View Post
    Because people like to keep music or videos or pictures or other files on their phone, especially in cases of poor data connectivity or no data. How hard is that to understand.
    People like to do a lot of things, doesn't mean they are necessary. I have a camera with several memory cards. When I return from vacation they get transferred to my PC and also backed up and the cards are erased for the next time. I have several movies on DVD but it is a true rarity that I watch one more than once or twice. And while I technically could watch a movie on my Nexus, the screen is too small in my opinion to watch comfortably. My 7" tablet could handle it fine and then I either erase it or back it up somewhere. By keeping everything on your phone you are placing a lot of faith in it not breaking, getting stolen or lost. And let us not forget, Google promotes "cloud use" so a card slot is not a priority to them.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,839 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    People like to do a lot of things, doesn't mean they are necessary. I have a camera with several memory cards. When I return from vacation they get transferred to my PC and also backed up and the cards are erased for the next time. I have several movies on DVD but it is a true rarity that I watch one more than once or twice. And while I technically could watch a movie on my Nexus, the screen is too small in my opinion to watch comfortably. My 7" tablet could handle it fine and then I either erase it or back it up somewhere. By keeping everything on your phone you are placing a lot of faith in it not breaking, getting stolen or lost. And let us not forget, Google promotes "cloud use" so a card slot is not a priority to them.
    And unless there are no Android phones or tablets with am SD card slot, you will always have the choice to use a device that has what you need.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary... ...Why does everyone need more?
    First off, you shouldn’t “really have to wonder” about something as simple as people that have preferences different than yours. If you really are that self-centered and unaware then your parents and grade school teachers failed you.

In any case, I’ll tell you why I like to have removable storage on my mobile devices.

When I travel for work (I’m a design engineer and I often have to travel to one of our plants to support the assembly line when new changes occur) I often have to spend a couple of nights in a town where the best option available when the assembly line shuts down at 2:30pm is to just go back to the hotel and wait until bedtime. As such, I tend to have a couple of different games (which can take up a lot of space on internal memory) on them. I also like to have at least a couple of albums of songs on the internal storage because some of the areas I go to are rather rural and streaming from the net isn’t always an option. When I travel I tend to make use of the camera a good bit for work too. I have a need to document things with still pictures as well as video. It isn’t uncommon for me to generate up to 3 GB of pictures and videos in a 3 day trip. In this case, 11 GB of storage can easily be filled very quickly.

As for external storage, I use that for movies and TV shows. Sometimes when I have to travel I get very little notice (fly out the next day) so I have one 32GB mSD card that I can pop into the HTPC. I set it up to batch-convert any queued up DVRed TV shows that I haven’t watched yet and let it convert about 10 or 12 hours worth of shows overnight. In the morning I pull the mSD card out of the computer and pop it into the tablet on my way out the door.

If I’m at a hotel that has a decent TV w/ HDMI hookup, I’ll swap the mSD and use the phone to playback shows on the hotel TV so I can use the tablet to surf the web while watching. If I’m in a motel where the ‘ol Zenith only has a composite in (or just an old scart connector,) I’ll use the tablet and watch the shows directly on that. So while a lot of my storage is also “temporary,” 11GB on the device doesn’t cut it.

I suppose a person could look to get a tablet and a phone with 64GB of internal storage, and just copy the shows to both, but that isn’t an option that is economically viable, even if a couple of Nexus devices were offered with those capacities. In addition, I don’t have time in the morning to wait for two devices to copy 25 or so GB of video data either.

If you’re use case is basically a phone that is used to text your friends, yeah 16GB of total internal storage looks like plenty. But not everyone has the same use as you.

-Suntan

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 AM ----------

And let us not forget, Google promotes "cloud use" so a card slot is not a priority to them.
    When's the last time you tried to rely on Google's cloud in the middle of rural Nebraska? Or worse, rural areas outside of Prague, Czech Republic or Warsaw, Poland?

Clouds are great for Google, not so good for you when you travel to areas that are completely sunny.

-Suntan
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,839 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    First off, you shouldnt really have to wonder about something as simple as people that have preferences different than yours. If you really are that self-centered and unaware then your parents and grade school teachers failed you.

In any case, Ill tell you why I like to have removable storage on my mobile devices.

When I travel for work (Im a design engineer and I often have to travel to one of our plants to support the assembly line when new changes occur) I often have to spend a couple of nights in a town where the best option available when the assembly line shuts down at 2:30pm is to just go back to the hotel and wait until bedtime. As such, I tend to have a couple of different games (which can take up a lot of space on internal memory) on them. I also like to have at least a couple of albums of songs on the internal storage because some of the areas I go to are rather rural and streaming from the net isnt always an option. When I travel I tend to make use of the camera a good bit for work too. I have a need to document things with still pictures as well as video. It isnt uncommon for me to generate up to 3 GB of pictures and videos in a 3 day trip. In this case, 11 GB of storage can easily be filled very quickly.

As for external storage, I use that for movies and TV shows. Sometimes when I have to travel I get very little notice (fly out the next day) so I have one 32GB mSD card that I can pop into the HTPC. I set it up to batch-convert any queued up DVRed TV shows that I havent watched yet and let it convert about 10 or 12 hours worth of shows overnight. In the morning I pull the mSD card out of the computer and pop it into the tablet on my way out the door.

If Im at a hotel that has a decent TV w/ HDMI hookup, Ill swap the mSD and use the phone to playback shows on the hotel TV so I can use the tablet to surf the web while watching. If Im in a motel where the ol Zenith only has a composite in (or just an old scart connector,) Ill use the tablet and watch the shows directly on that. So while a lot of my storage is also temporary, 11GB on the device doesnt cut it.

I suppose a person could look to get a tablet and a phone with 64GB of internal storage, and just copy the shows to both, but that isnt an option that is economically viable, even if a couple of Nexus devices were offered with those capacities. In addition, I dont have time in the morning to wait for two devices to copy 25 or so GB of video data either.

If youre use case is basically a phone that is used to text your friends, yeah 16GB of total internal storage looks like plenty. But not everyone has the same use as you.

-Suntan

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 AM ----------

When's the last time you tried to rely on Google's cloud in the middle of rural Nebraska? Or worse, rural areas outside of Prague, Czech Republic or Warsaw, Poland?

Clouds are great for Google, not so good for you when you travel to areas that are completely sunny.

-Suntan
    But..

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    unless there are no Android phones or tablets with am SD card slot, you will always have the choice to use a device that has what you need.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    But..

I wasn't arguing that there are no choices. The guy specficially said he didn't understand why anyone would need more than 16GB onboard. My comments were in direct response to that confusion.

-Suntan

After my wife loosing her RAZR I would rather not have an SD card anyone can go through all your stuff. Also using the 32 GB nexus I have plenty of room and if I loose my phone all my stuff will be safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

If Google gives is 32 or 64 option, then that's the right direction to go IMO. Getting micro SD slot isn't that good of idea to me. Speed is what I desire and I have laptop for large size stuff for traveling.

16gb spies enough for me to store couple movies for flights and several books. I can swap movies from my laptop when I land.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I don't miss the SD card at all to be honest. The main 3 reasons are (in no particular order):

Transferring large files to/from my pc using ADB is much faster than with my old class 2 card.

The media scanning garbage at every boot up was very annoying.

Now I don't have to eject the phone from my PC and manually turn off usb storage phone side lest I risk data corruption.

There are other reasons I can't think of.... I need some coffee. But yea, generally not really too sad about the change as it is clearly the way of the future. The internal storage in this device makes an SD card seem like a hodgepodge solution, to be honest, and not fitting for the flagship Google (dev) handset. This is oddly one of the things apple got right (did I just say that in a nexus forum??) . All IMHO of course. Don't keel me.
    mcp770 likes this.

Default Petition For Memory Cards on Future Nexus Devices

I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary. I eventually delete or transfer photos. 16GB is way more than anyone could possibly use for apps and I do not watch movies. Even if I did I would not store more than 1 or 2 at a time. Why does everyone need more?
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

I want a petition for removable battery's it upcoming nexus devices

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

The nexus devices will never have a expandable sd slot, Google has to pay Microsoft 15 bucks for every device that has extsd. The nexus is a pure Google experience, it will not come with a competitors product.

Internal memory is also much faster, so as you are loading pictures, viewing gallery the user experience is faster, smoother.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    t_kopta likes this.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_k605 View Post
    The nexus devices will never have a expandable sd slot, Google has to pay Microsoft 15 bucks for every device that has extsd. The nexus is a pure Google experience, it will not come with a competitors product.

Internal memory is also much faster, so as you are loading pictures, viewing gallery the user experience is faster, smoother.

Google doesn't pay the fee, the manufactures of the phone do. So Google may compensate LG for the fee, but do we know that for a fact? Half of the useful features in Android originated somewhere else. Pinch to zoom for example and swipe to unlock for 2 examples.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Google doesn't pay the fee, the manufactures of the phone do. So Google may compensate LG for the fee, but do we know that for a fact? Half of the useful features in Android originated somewhere else. Pinch to zoom for example and swipe to unlock for 2 examples.
    It is no secret.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

I know that we need to share our opinions but these petitions never accomplish anything. Google is not a democracy and although w are the most dedicated we are not their most profitable demographic.

Android is making a hard run at and donating the mainstream. Normal people don't care about removable storage or batteries. Google will continue to make these devices as pretty and simple as they can - just be happy they are as open as they are now

The rumour mill has it the galaxy s4 is coming with a whopping 64MB of internal memory. I like removable myself but non-removable is obviously the way its headed.
    tube517 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    As for external storage, I use that for movies and TV shows. Sometimes when I have to travel I get very little notice (fly out the next day) so I have one 32GB mSD card that I can pop into the HTPC. I set it up to batch-convert any queued up DVRed TV shows that I havent watched yet and let it convert about 10 or 12 hours worth of shows overnight. In the morning I pull the mSD card out of the computer and pop it into the tablet on my way out the door.

-Suntan
    Hmm...while I don't care one way or another about the external storage missing - thought I would but it's been easy enough transferring files with the cord (Bluetooth is massively slow and needs babysitting.) - I *do* want to know the secret for moving things off my always full DVR! If only I understood how he did this. If only my DVR had removable storage.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Expendable memory isnt secured. So yeah!

Your petition has been DENIED!!!!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

USB OTG was about as close as we were ever gonna get to having expandable storage on our Nexi (excluding N1), but the N4 doesn't support it, so it's unclear as to whether or not we'll even have that option in the future on our handsets.

The newer Nexus 10 supports it afaik which I find odd - which could mean things were mucked up on LG's side and not because Google requested there be no support for it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast