Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Petition For Memory Cards on Future Nexus Devices

As the title says, I've started a petition to Google to include memory card slots on future nexus devices and to encourage other manufactures to do the same. Please check it out and sign the petition.

Also, if a wise and powerful mod saw fit, I think this could be worth a sticky.

note: if you don't agree or simply don't see a need for memory cards then just don't sign. Please don't post negative comments in this thread

Update: Like the Facebook Page!!!!
    Last edited by zachavm; 06-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Petition For Memory Cards on Future Nexus Devices

So did I post this is in the wrong place or does no one care?

Edit: Just noticed that practically all the posting is in the verizon forum. Would a mod mind moving this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by zachavm View Post
    As the title says, I've started a petition to Google to include memory card slots on future nexus devices and to encourage other manufactures to do the same. Please check it out and sign the petition.

Also, if a wise and powerful mod saw fit, I think this could be worth a sticky.

note: if you don't agree or simply don't see a need for memory cards then just don't sign. Please don't post negative comments in this thread

Update: Like the Facebook Page!!!!
    Not a negative comment, just feedback. From what I understand Google has made the conscious decision to not use external memory cards and they are encouraging the OEMs to do the same. Having an external memory card is inherently less secure because of the way the file systems is set up, and inherently slower for read/write access than internal storage. Between larger internal storage and cloud storage for archival, they are trying to phase out external memory.
    Thanked by:
    rmcsc 
    rmcsc likes this.

it's more about making money out of digital streaming contents and cloud services.
    Thanked by:
    dancing-bass likes this.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod

I believe I have read that Google never wanted external storage but Apple was buying all the SSDs so they allowed external storage because they didn't have a choice.

Personally I don't miss having external storage. I'll admit I use cloud for just about everthing.
    Hope is not a plan.

Google doesn't want people using SD cards. They've already said this. In all honesty, storage should just be storage.

By all means petition your opinions, but I don't think Google are going to listen I'm afraid. They've made their decision

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    randywrmcsc 
    rmcsc likes this.

Google probably got just as tired as I did hearing people complain in reviews about x app not having app2sd. I hated the idea and had to frequently move apps back to local on my DroidX. App Installs would fail more than 50% of the time on my DX. By removing SD cards, they shut people up, improve installation, and make people like me happy.

A caveat: installs on my DX would succeed 100% if I unmounted the SD card. Not like it matters much anymore now that I have my Gnex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Physical storage is not long for the world of mobile computing. And Google's newest Nexus device has no add on storage, so I believe you're fighting a losing battle.
    Last edited by hodan; 07-08-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Typing error.

ROM
    AOKP

It won't happen. It is much much easier for devs when there isn't a removable SD card.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Why I'm not signing this position:

http://m.androidcentral.com/why-nexu...ave-no-sd-card

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 5:
    DCad likes this.

This right here. Before I bought my nexus I considered another phone because of a lack of SD card in the nexus. But after reading around a bit and and testing the device I realized I didn't need an SD card. I can stream almost any media I need and as long as I'm not hoarding huge game files, I have plenty of space. The future of android will be SD-less. IMO

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Why I'm not signing this position:

http://m.androidcentral.com/why-nexu...ave-no-sd-card

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    How do we know Google is being fully honest here? Seems like its in their interest to push cloud storage on us... if they are well intentioned then I hope they find a workaround that allows us to pop in an SD card to move data

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivek615 View Post
    How do we know Google is being fully honest here? Seems like its in their interest to push cloud storage on us... if they are well intentioned then I hope they find a workaround that allows us to pop in an SD card to move data

We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.
    I'd sign a petition that mandates this file system.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Google isn't going to bring back SDcards into the Nexus line.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

I agree with then on the file system but maybe having an SD card that is separate from the native file system would work?

I agree with then on the file system but maybe having an SD card that is separate from the native file system would work?
    Nope, wouldn't work.
    Thanked by:

Can't have it all huh?

Can't have it all huh?

Unfortunately at this point no. In order to use USB Mass Storage (and external storage), you need to have partitioned internal storage, which creates the problems.

I also want an SD option. If they insist on not using them they could at least offer a phone with a more reasonable amount of storage. I need at LEAST 32gb.

I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary. I eventually delete or transfer photos. 16GB is way more than anyone could possibly use for apps and I do not watch movies. Even if I did I would not store more than 1 or 2 at a time. Why does everyone need more?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary. I eventually delete or transfer photos. 16GB is way more than anyone could possibly use for apps and I do not watch movies. Even if I did I would not store more than 1 or 2 at a time. Why does everyone need more?
    Because people like to keep music or videos or pictures or other files on their phone, especially in cases of poor data connectivity or no data. How hard is that to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I've totally changed my mind! Heck, I actually wish they'd REDUCE it to 5 or 6 gb. No one could possibly use more than 6 could they? I see NO POSSIBLE way.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gaetawoo View Post
    Because people like to keep music or videos or pictures or other files on their phone, especially in cases of poor data connectivity or no data. How hard is that to understand.
    Last I checked, other phones have expandable memory available. If that feature is so important, don't buy a phone or tablet that doesn't have expandable memory.

You have choice.

If it's so important and the Nexus you want doesn't have it, speak with your wallet and don't buy the Nexus.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I have a Note with a 64 gb card and a SII with a 32gb card. I bought a Nexus to see if pure Android was as amazing as everyone here said it was. Guess what? It is. I love it. I bought a N7 too because I liked the Nexus so much. I knew I'd hate the limitation on space when I bought them. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they include more storage. I see the pros and cons of having removable storage but I personally believe the pros outweigh the cons. But I realize that Google is unlikely to change their minds. That's why I think they could at least offer a phone with more internal storage. I personally feel 32gb is the minimum amount I could get by with for my daily driver.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast