GNex killing USB cables?

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had my GNex for several months and I am recently having issues with my phone not wanting to charge with most standard micro USB cables. I was using the Samsung cable it came with until 4 weeks ago and had to switch to a random Blackberry cable in my stash and both of those and the cable in my Powerbag aren't charging my phone without being positioned just so. I am hating having to use an old micro USB wall charger that came with a dumb phone I used as a crutch when swapping carriers until I could get the Galaxy Nexus. Is anyone else having cable issues? I think my phone is killing them because my husband's Lumia Windows Phone won't charge off the cables when I have to move on to another.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues, but I'm very curious to see if others are having this problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
If many cables that work elsewhere then more likely the port on the phone, maybe try moving the cord around to different positions. Worth have a closer look and blowing in case there is something stuck, anyway thats what I'd do.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Your phone can't hurt the cables(Electrically), any chance you may have jammed one in the wrong way and bent the contact? If you look in the Micro usb you may be able to tell if its bent, it should be straight. Do you have any Apple plugs around, I have had good luck with them, combined with what ever cheap cable I bought from Newegg. ($4.99)

I don't think it will help but try reseating the battery.

Mine has been charging fine off of any of 4 wall plugs around the house, one of 2 radio's in my vehicles and any of the computers around the house, no issues. Unless you count the normal 4 hour recharge. I don't know how Apple can recharge in less then 2hr....but they do.

Last edited:

wowsher

Jul 5, 2011
www.ordner.us
Not all cables are fully wired or may be of a lesser quality. The phone also can do some checks to decide if it will charge from a USB port or an AC port (different charge rates) so it can depend on a few different factors. I have a cable that charges and allows data transfer for my g2x fine but will not charge or data connect my nexus, swapped in a nokia cable and it works fine for both power and data.

hope that is clear as mud.

wowsher

jkohut

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Might be worth looking at the Nexus Pogo dock as that uses POGO pins on side of phone. I am thinking of getting one although cost is $54. That bypasses need for USB cable to charge at least part of time. If new USB works fine, then sounds like you are bending USB cable and not Female connector on bottom of phone. If new cable has problems then sounds like phone plug may be problem. May want to submit warranty claim. Good luck and let us know what you do as we may fight the battle later if it is phone connector. Thanks.

MrStylz

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My old Moto Droid charger has taken over as the alternate charger for our Nexii and I've started to run into this. It no longer works - I just though it was a fluke. Now, our other 4 chargers work just fine - so i just chalked it up to a bad charger. Now, I'm wondering if the Nexii killed it...

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
OK I have a Canadian import of the GNex literally a month before Google launched the devices page in the Play Store so I have no warranty. I am probably going to just get a pogo dock and carry it around. Nothing is bent and I am lucky enough not to be experiencing that rather terrifying link left by jonneh. Apple bumps the amperage up for the crazy fast rapid charging Chex313. I thank all of you for your help suggestions and help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

NexusQ

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had troubles with mine not wanting to charge, but always telling me it was even with no charger connected. What fixed it for me was sticking a knife in there and bending the small piece of metal. Unfortunately it seems lately that I really have to make sure the cable is really in there to make sure it charges.

I think I will have to get the pogo dock as I have no need for the usb cable other than charging.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had troubles with mine not wanting to charge, but always telling me it was even with no charger connected. What fixed it for me was sticking a knife in there and bending the small piece of metal. Unfortunately it seems lately that I really have to make sure the cable is really in there to make sure it charges.

I think I will have to get the pogo dock as I have no need for the usb cable other than charging.

That's exactly what everyone figured out together in that link I left earlier (sorry it terrified you, OP. lol) - you can also use a toothpick if it's strong enough. But you have to be very careful because the metal piece can break rather easily, and then you have to replace the part. It's a damn shame Samsung won't own up to the widespread issue, but, what can ya do besides not give them money anymore. I've already had to replace mine (under warranty) a mere month (FOUR weeks) after owning it due to this issue. All I can say is, I hope the rumors of multiple Nexus' come true. :)

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I purchased an extended battery along with an external charger for it. Now I can have one battery in the charger, and one in the phone. The only time I really need the USB cable is to transfer files on and off the phone