I want the nexus from the play store but I have Sprint.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm only seeing the hspa+ version on the play store I need the cdma for Sprint but I look at best buy and other places and it is 5, 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I won't pay that much I have the epic 4g touch aka galaxy s2 now, and I don't have a upgrade until July of next year. I'm sick of not getting ics, and would love to have a phone with the cutting edge updates. But I can't find the Sprint version for 350 dollars like on the play store. Why don't they sell the cdma version?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm only seeing the hspa+ version on the play store I need the cdma for Sprint but I look at best buy and other places and it is 5 or 6 hundred dollars. I won't pay that much I have the epic 4g touch aka galaxy s2 now, and I don't have a upgrade for 2 more Septembers. I'm sick of not getting ics add would love to have a phone with the cutting edge updates but I can't find the Sprint version for 350 dollars like on the play store.

I doubt you'll see a Sprint version in the devices section of the Play Store any time soon.

Reactions: GiantJay

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm only seeing the hspa+ version on the play store I need the cdma for Sprint but I look at best buy and other places and it is 5, 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I won't pay that much I have the epic 4g touch aka galaxy s2 now, and I don't have a upgrade until July of next year. I'm sick of not getting ics, and would love to have a phone with the cutting edge updates. But I can't find the Sprint version for 350 dollars like on the play store. Why don't they sell the cdma version?

I think it is because with a GSM device you can just pop in a compatible SIM and go but CDMA devices are sometimes locked down to certain carriers. I really doubt you will see any CDMA Nexus on the Play Store.

Reactions: GiantJay

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
You'll never see a CDMA version in the play store. CDMA is always locked down to a specific carrier when new. There is no such thing as an unlocked unbranded CDMA phone. Google play is all about the open source software. There will never be anything there tied to a specific carrier.

You should consider switching from Sprint so you can use the GSM nexus on the network of your choice. I'm saving $30 dollars a month on T-Mobile value plan. Of course, if you need truly unlimited data or Sprint's coverages meet your needs then stay with them. For me, the savings were enough to justify paying ETF of $120.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my brothers plan and pay 40 dollars a month for unlimited everything and insurance plus I have a year left on my contract so I'm just going to have to wait it out. Thank you everyone.

jimpryde

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Sprint (until my GNex gets here) and am taking my chances with Straight Talk first. Since it's AT&T's HSPA+ network, the price can't be beat. If it doesn't work out, I'll go to TMobile or full-fledged AT&T. Even with a 23% discount from Sprint, I'll save money in the long run. Sprint's 3G network was just awful and I won't see LTE for 12-18 months, per Sprint.

kaediil

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Sprint (until my GNex gets here) and am taking my chances with Straight Talk first. Since it's AT&T's HSPA+ network, the price can't be beat. If it doesn't work out, I'll go to TMobile or full-fledged AT&T. Even with a 23% discount from Sprint, I'll save money in the long run. Sprint's 3G network was just awful and I won't see LTE for 12-18 months, per Sprint.

I use StraightTalk with my unlocked GNex and it has worked perfectly. I have also used the TMo month to month. Worked as well with somewhat faster download speeds but much worse coverage then the ATT, which is why I am staying with StraightTalk/ATT.

-frank

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I use StraightTalk with my unlocked GNex and it has worked perfectly. I have also used the TMo month to month. Worked as well with somewhat faster download speeds but much worse coverage then the ATT, which is why I am staying with StraightTalk/ATT.

-frank

I am in the same boat as OP.

Kaediil: can you choose which carrier to use within StraightTalk? Or it is auto assigned? Does StraightTalk let you download and stream whatever you want? Any service issue so far? Oh, where are you? I am in western suburb of Chicago. I don't know how well StraightTalk is.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as OP.

Kaediil: can you choose which carrier to use within StraightTalk? Or it is auto assigned? Does StraightTalk let you download and stream whatever you want? Any service issue so far? Oh, where are you? I am in western suburb of Chicago. I don't know how well StraightTalk is.

Straight talk uses all 4 carriers, But the BYOD is T-Mobile or ATT. So no bringing a Sprint phone with you.

Usually ATT is better service imo then T-Mobile but all depends on where you live. I would find out what your friends use and check the maps on their websites to see how well the native coverage is where you're at.

As far as downloading and streaming.....The general rule is 200mb limit a day and about 2gb a month. Its not a written rule but its what most ppl report being their limit before they receive a warning or a cut off.

I do love my ST atm, only other thing I would consider would be the $30 a month T-Mobile prepaid to up my data limits. But I don't know if its worth the drop in coverage.