Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hodan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What to do when switching carriers?

    So this is kind of a bummer....I plan on buying my wife the gnex from google for att but theres a chance shes gonna switch to verizon in a few months and dont wanna be screwed over....aside from selling it (possibly losing $) is there anything else i can do?

    I dont want to get her the sg3 bc i want her to have JB as soon as its out and im hearing nothing but bad things about touchwiz (i dont plan on rooting or anything like that )
    Last edited by shaytoon21; 07-01-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Its a secret
  2. #2  
    blackmannx#AC's Avatar
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    thats a tough one.. How about just waiting till your sure what she is going to do carrierwise? and there is always the Nexus 7 if she doesnt have a tablet. its light and has JB installed.
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

    follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x
  3. #3  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    1) Sell it.
    2) Get T-Mobile prepay $30/month (100 min, unlimited text, unlimited data (5gb of 3G/4G, afterwards EDGE). Use it as a hotspot for tablets (if you have any), laptops, etc.

    Option 2 would be what I most likely do for myself. I'm currently using AT&T and have "unlimited" data for iPhone/Smartphone but 3gb throttle is pointless and not "legally" to tether (I do it anyways, hoping I won't get caught).
  4. #4  
    quamdar's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    The Galaxy Nexus from the play store is a GSM only device so if she switched to Verizon there is no way to make it work. Gonna have to wait or possibly be stuck with a non-functioning device.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Do your homework friend

    Your at a rough time in the smartphone market... Which way do you go...

    HTC One series or its variants...

    SGSIII

    GNex...

    Whats on the horizon coming into the fall and holiday season? The next Nexus? Something else ?

    Patience is a hard thing to have but when your considering locking yourself into a 2 year marriage with most carriers its a choice that you should take your time deciding....
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Your at a rough time in the smartphone market... Which way do you go...

    HTC One series or its variants...

    SGSIII

    GNex...

    Patience is a hard thing to have but when your considering locking yourself into a 2 year marriage with most carriers its a choice that you should take your time deciding....

    I completely agree with you as far as patience but the thing is our anniversary is in a few weeks

    I dont want the sg3 because everyones been talking smack about touchwiz (aside from killing the ics/jb experience) were not into modding/rooting so thats out of the question

    ive never been a fan of htc phones.

    gnex sounds amazing right now

    as far as a contract goes, i dont care about that, ive been with verizon for 8 years and have never had issues with them.

    if i wait til fall, the new ifruit will be announced taking any spotlight away from any new android devices (yes i know thats a bad thing to say but its the unfortunate truth that apple will spam the hell out of this one for obvious reasons)

    this sucks lol. i guess shes not getting a phone any time soon
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Quote Originally Posted by runtohell121 View Post
    1) Sell it.
    2) Get T-Mobile prepay $30/month (100 min, unlimited text, unlimited data (5gb of 3G/4G, afterwards EDGE). Use it as a hotspot for tablets (if you have any), laptops, etc.

    Option 2 would be what I most likely do for myself. I'm currently using AT&T and have "unlimited" data for iPhone/Smartphone but 3gb throttle is pointless and not "legally" to tether (I do it anyways, hoping I won't get caught).
    in this case selling it is the easiest option for us. maybe ill take a loss but thats life and at least im getting something back if i sold it
  8. #8  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    If she might go to Verizon soon then there's no reason to spend money on a phone now. Wait and then when/if she switches to Verizon she can get the new Razr Max HD.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    For now it looks like shes gonna be with ATT, prolly until the end of the year...last night she was asking about my phone and androids (i was kinda surprised) she was trying to see how its different than ifruit, i told her the advantages and she became very interested and wants to see whats available. she wants to actually go into the stores and play with sg3.

    as i mentioned earlier, id like to buy her a phone for our anniversary...its on the 22nd of this month....do we know of any other phones that may be released in the mean time? because im leaning towards gnex for her to avoid touchwiz...

    htc one x looks ok lol (i know some people are gonna hate me for that) the only "major" difference between this and sg3 is 1 gb ram. and the pebble blue sg3 looks sooo sick and smooth, i love the design (esp over gnex) i dont like how all the htc's look exactly the same

    but again, i want her to experience android with the whole ics/jb....

    any kind words? please? thank you
  10. #10  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Samsung and HTC's newest top of the line GSM phones just came out; The One X and GS3 are the one's. Or the Galaxy Nexus direct from Google is $350.

    If she wants a new phone now why doesn't she switch to Verizon now instead of in December?

    I'd say get the Galaxy Nexus if you absolutely cannot wait or switch now. If anything because I assume you are getting them full price and not signing a contract so the GNexus will be far cheaper than the other two. Unless for some reason you are using an upgrade only to switch carriers in 6 months and pay an ETF; which IMO is a crazy proposition.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    It surely sounds like your wife will be leaving AT&T, going on your Verizon plan?..... personally I would not buy her the phone if she is going to switch carriers......I know I would not buy a used Nexus when I can get it from Google for $349.....you would need to sell really low I would think.....plus, there is the chance that if you get your wife this phone she will LOVE it and not want to leave AT&T.

    Sounds like she has an iPhone now?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Quote Originally Posted by con5150 View Post
    It surely sounds like your wife will be leaving AT&T, going on your Verizon plan?..... personally I would not buy her the phone if she is going to switch carriers......I know I would not buy a used Nexus when I can get it from Google for $349.....you would need to sell really low I would think.....plus, there is the chance that if you get your wife this phone she will LOVE it and not want to leave AT&T.

    Sounds like she has an iPhone now?
    thats right, she has an iphone.

    problem is we dont even know if shes gonna switch, we wont know til the end of the year which is why it all sucks and is bad timing.

    i just hate how she might end up with another fruit phone
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    ultimately in the end what it comes down to is gnex vs sg3, both on att

    i need help deciding which phone and why considering certain factors:

    -money is not an issue anymore

    -touchwiz/android UI is no issue so please no references to that

    -what im looking for is quality, speed, long lasting, something to introduce a 1st timer to android ensuring an amazing transition from crapple
    leaving no bad tastes (except for the apple she was poisoned by)

    -We live in L.A. so 4g is on and off throughout the city but where we live specifically has no 4g
    Last edited by shaytoon21; 07-09-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: i was a naughty boy
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Your wife wants a PHONE for her anniversary? You're a lucky man.

    Get the GNex, because you can cancel her AT&T contract, go prepaid....and easily sell the phone if she goes to Verizon.

    If you get the SGIII, with a NEW contract....you're going to pay much more in cancellation fees. And I'll be she'd be stuck on ICS until 2013, if she keeps it.

    It's also obvious that you want to try out a JB device, so grab the GNex. Coming from Sense (Evo3d), I had no idea how much Sense invaded the Android experience.

    However, since you say Money and UI are not issues then it's the SGIII.
    If you want a smoother transition from iCrap, then it's GNex.

    What you really want is the Next Google Nexus phone. I'll bet you can get one sometime in the next 6-12 months.
    Last edited by hodan; 07-09-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: small addition.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Also, i just remembered, the 4g wont make a difference for her if i get the unlocked gnex because it runs on hspa so she wont be able to tap into 4g....

    as far as data speeds, can anyone tell me if its generally the same or slower? faster?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Quote Originally Posted by shaytoon21 View Post
    Also, i just remembered, the 4g wont make a difference for her if i get the unlocked gnex because it runs on hspa so she wont be able to tap into 4g....

    as far as data speeds, can anyone tell me if its generally the same or slower? faster?
    Depends on carrier coverage in your area.

    I routinely get 6-10mb/s down and 4-6mb/s up, with T-Mo.

    The unlocked GNex is Hspa 21...not 42. Either way it'll meet or beat the iCrap.

    You should find some local forums for the carrier you're looking at to see what real world speeds ppl are getting. Go do some speedtests in the retail stores.
  17. #17  
    project.in.process's Avatar

    Posts
    1,223 Posts
    ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    Depends on carrier coverage in your area.

    I routinely get 6-10mb/s down and 4-6mb/s up, with T-Mo.

    The unlocked GNex is Hspa 21...not 42. Either way it'll meet or beat the iCrap.

    You should find some local forums for the carrier you're looking at to see what real world speeds ppl are getting. Go do some speedtests in the retail stores.
    agreed. i'm paying ETF on August 10th to Verizon and buying a GSM Nexus & going to T-MO's $30/mo plan (need more minutes? buy a refill card for that month).
    went to a local T-MO store & ran a speedtest---it killed my Thunderbolt (LTE).

    i'd rather have a GSM Nexus with increasing coverage & 5GB HSPA coverage for $30/mo than having a Verizon G-NEX with 2GB/mo for around $120/mo.

    it's nexus from here on out--and GSM prepaid for life.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: What to do when switching carriers?

    thank you everyone for your suggestons and feedback. i love the $ saving ideas for prepaid and etc.

    unfortunately our (her) situation is a little more complicated (when isnt it with women? no offense to anyone)

    so im going to get her the sg3. its newer, longer battery life (shes always doing something), better camera (shes a photo junkie), aesthetically prettier (since most women are into looks and what not) those are the pluses she will appreciate more over the gnex, shes not like us to be all crazy about the newest and latest update and be all speed fanatics, she just wants the phone to work and do what she needs.

Posting Permissions

B