next nexus release question

masterpfa

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I think Google should separate the tablet and phone ui. The whole point of honeycomb was to do so. Phones never saw honeycomb and aren't tablets mentioned for high media usage. So I think a tablets ui should be geared towards that. A phones ui is mentioned for multitasking and making phone calls. Google merging the two makes it harder for people to justify buying tablets. Why buy a tablet if phones are getting bigger anyway and I can call people with it too. That being said Google is also making it harder to come out with new devices. If the software is the same on every device and you need a new device to debut it. We will probably only see one nexus device a year. A tablet this year a phone next year.

The problem Google or more accurately for devs, was having a separate UI for tablets and a separate UI for phones, hence ICS.

Honeycomb was leading up to the unifications under one OS for all, which I prefer, remember under ICS and JB there are different versions of the UI dependent on the screen size.

masterpfa

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Now, I have a couple questions: 1. Do you think there will be a new Nexus phone later this year? 2. Do you think going to a Galaxy Nexus from an S II is even worth it?

1. I personally believe there will be another Nexus phone revealed this year.
2. Because of my answer above I would say no (at this time of the year) but had you asked this question in November 2011 it would have been an overwhelming YES!
:p

Ardrid

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
You have to see it like this. How much money are you willing to spend on electronics? If tablets and phones both cost around 200to300 which would you rather buy? With tablets and phones both coming out now more rapidly I don't believe that most people will be shelling out money for the newest phone and tablet every 6 months. And now with the Google debuting the nexus q your media can be streamed to the biggest screen you own. So why waste the money? Also you can't compare apple products to Google smh. Apple is like a children's book and Google is like a novel. Apple is for the hypebeasts of the cell cellphone world. People buy ipads cause the Iphone is the smallest relevant phone on the market. You know what they say about dudes with a small phones Lol.

It's not a zero sum game though. Unless you're telling me that you have absolutely no need for a phone in your life, it's not a realistic assumption to believe that someone would have to choose between a phone and a tablet.

I also fail to see how you can't compare Google products to Apple products. Like it or not, Apple is the standard bearer for 90% of consumers out there. There's a reason for that that goes beyond "it just works." Apple's products have a certain lustre to them and a level of polish and smoothness that Google has just begun to duplicate, to say nothing of Apple's penchant for excellent industrial design. Apple products also have two things that Google is still trying to achieve: an insane marketing campaign and an insane word of mouth factor. Outside of the tech savvy, how many people are really telling their friends and family to get an Android device over an iPhone or an Android tablet over an iPad? Yes, Google is moving a ton of Android devices, but how many of those are quality devices and not cheap crap that carriers are pushing?

Trust me, Google is very much trying to be like Apple, in their own way. It's no mistake that JB has fully unified the phone and tablet UIs. Google wants the Nexus to be the iPhone and the Nexus 7 to be the iPad. They wouldn't be as involved as they are if they didn't...

Reactions: datboicastro

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
You have to see it like this. How much money are you willing to spend on electronics? If tablets and phones both cost around 200to300 which would you rather buy? With tablets and phones both coming out now more rapidly I don't believe that most people will be shelling out money for the newest phone and tablet every 6 months. And now with the Google debuting the nexus q your media can be streamed to the biggest screen you own. So why waste the money? Also you can't compare apple products to Google smh. Apple is like a children's book and Google is like a novel. Apple is for the hypebeasts of the cell cellphone world. People buy ipads cause the Iphone is the smallest relevant phone on the market. You know what they say about dudes with a small phones Lol.

I think you make some relatively naive statements here. Market share explains a lot. The market speaks for itself and obviously the masses have thus far chosen the iPad as the media consumption device of choice. As such, how can you not compare Apple products to Google products? I'm no iOS fan, but I certainly see why a ton of friends and family use the iPhone and iPad and really enjoy it. What are the top tasks performed on any of these devices anyway? Checking facebook, pinterest, some email, looking at photos, browsing the daily news and shopping, along with some games. Any tablet does that with relative ease, so obviously the user experience of iOS has been more appealing to the masses to this point. I don't care for it and don't really have much use for a tablet in general given that my EVO LTE does nearly everything I need that I don't use my laptop for during the day. I spend a ton of time on my laptop for typical business work that combines consumption with document creation. However, tons of people don't spend much time on a laptop or desktop and can get by with a tablet for most of their consumption-based electronics use. For a consumption-based user, an iPad is pretty much all they need. If it comes across to the user as being easier to use and reliable, then it should succeed. See Honda and Toyota, for example. I don't get the children's book vs. novel analogy. And the iPhone became very popular before the recent move to giant Android phones, so it's popularity isn't so much related to big or small size.

I really don't see the Nexus Q appealing to many other than hardcore music fans committed to Android. Like me, you probably already know a lot of friends who are audiophiles that use iOS with Sonos or something else. I don't see them leaving that ecosystem for the Q.

I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of Android growth to see if much of the high end superphones (GNexus, One X, EVO LTE, SG3) is turnover from prior high end Android phones like me (prior EVO 4G, or Nexus One/S, SG2, Droid, etc) vs. lower end entry model Androids. Is a lot of the Android growth people moving from feature phones to entry level Androids while those of us who like to super spec phones are replacing them at a high rate as the new ones come out?

Just some thoughts on where Android is going in the overall market.

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think Google should separate the tablet and phone ui. The whole point of honeycomb was to do so. Phones never saw honeycomb and aren't tablets mentioned for high media usage. So I think a tablets ui should be geared towards that. A phones ui is mentioned for multitasking and making phone calls. Google merging the two makes it harder for people to justify buying tablets. Why buy a tablet if phones are getting bigger anyway and I can call people with it too. That being said Google is also making it harder to come out with new devices. If the software is the same on every device and you need a new device to debut it. We will probably only see one nexus device a year. A tablet this year a phone next year.

From what I've gathered, the phone-style UI is only for 7" tablets. The Honeycomb style will be used for all 10" devices.

kidcjay

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you make some relatively naive statements here. Market share explains a lot. The market speaks for itself and obviously the masses have thus far chosen the iPad as the media consumption device of choice. As such, how can you not compare Apple products to Google products? I'm no iOS fan, but I certainly see why a ton of friends and family use the iPhone and iPad and really enjoy it. What are the top tasks performed on any of these devices anyway? Checking facebook, pinterest, some email, looking at photos, browsing the daily news and shopping, along with some games. Any tablet does that with relative ease, so obviously the user experience of iOS has been more appealing to the masses to this point. I don't care for it and don't really have much use for a tablet in general given that my EVO LTE does nearly everything I need that I don't use my laptop for during the day. I spend a ton of time on my laptop for typical business work that combines consumption with document creation. However, tons of people don't spend much time on a laptop or desktop and can get by with a tablet for most of their consumption-based electronics use. For a consumption-based user, an iPad is pretty much all they need. If it comes across to the user as being easier to use and reliable, then it should succeed. See Honda and Toyota, for example. I don't get the children's book vs. novel analogy. And the iPhone became very popular before the recent move to giant Android phones, so it's popularity isn't so much related to big or small size.

I really don't see the Nexus Q appealing to many other than hardcore music fans committed to Android. Like me, you probably already know a lot of friends who are audiophiles that use iOS with Sonos or something else. I don't see them leaving that ecosystem for the Q.

I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of Android growth to see if much of the high end superphones (GNexus, One X, EVO LTE, SG3) is turnover from prior high end Android phones like me (prior EVO 4G, or Nexus One/S, SG2, Droid, etc) vs. lower end entry model Androids. Is a lot of the Android growth people moving from feature phones to entry level Androids while those of us who like to super spec phones are replacing them at a high rate as the new ones come out?

Just some thoughts on where Android is going in the overall market.

My statement was directly to android users not to be compared to apple products. If the Iphone was a bigger phone I know that ipad sales would drop. Apple sales aren't based on the better os or hardware. It's just people fitting in going for the easy purchase. For example I work in a shoe store I see this everyday. People come in looking for a sneaker for basketball. The first brand they ask for is Jordan not because they are the best basketball shoe they are way out dated. But because they know the name and everyone wears them. No one wants to be the odd man out and it's simple. Walk into a carrier store because you need a new phone and say Iphone cause it's simple they only make one phone everyone has one. I'm not dissing they're advertising. It's simply the best. Google simply doesn't focus on that. I can't remember the last Google commercial I saw.

But to my original statement. I have a evo 4g lte one of the bigger android devices. The nexus7 is the best tablet to date. But I can't justify buying it. Only because it not much bigger than my phone and the jb update can't be that far off.

OffKilter

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
With Windows Phone 8 and the iPhone 5 coming out this fall, Google would be foolish not to have a Nexus phone/phones out for the holiday season. Like other people have said, the next Nexus will have JB with maybe a few new additions. I really hope the rumor of multiple OEMs working on a few different Nexus phones is true. 4 or 5 different Nexus phones would be awesome! Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony. It would be all about the hardware, hope it happens!

Reactions: kidcjay

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
If the Iphone was a bigger phone I know that ipad sales would drop.
(I agree)

Apple sales aren't based on the better os or hardware.
(I disagree. They obviously have excellent hardware and a consistent, fluid and reliable OS. The market tells you that much. Honda is a good example compared to Mercedes. Mercedes sells a ton of their low end C Class and fewer of their higher end to enthusiasts, for example. Honda is fairly consistent in selling tons of reliable cars to the masses. And they aren't cheap cars in their markets. Not a perfect analogy, but some parallels. Apple sells a ton of consistent user experience iPhones, iPods and iPads to the masses. Android sells a ton of lower end models, but has a high end set for geek enthusiasts like us. Same with BMW. The masses surely won't buy the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus Q, nor is that the intention.)

I'm not dissing they're advertising. It's simply the best.
(I agree)

I have a evo 4g lte one of the bigger android devices.
(me too)

But I can't justify buying it. Only because it not much bigger than my phone.
(I agree)

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just some good point-counterpoint inserted above.

Sent via EVO LTE

NexusQ

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
They should have a new phone by the end of the year if you go by previous releases. I can't imaging them having multiple nexii because Google seems to like showing off 1 reference device. Maybe they will have 1 Nexus and other phones with stock android to sell in the Play store. I wouldn't mind but I would rather they focus on making 1 phone as awesome as they could.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
With Windows Phone 8 and the iPhone 5 coming out this fall, Google would be foolish not to have a Nexus phone/phones out for the holiday season. Like other people have said, the next Nexus will have JB with maybe a few new additions. I really hope the rumor of multiple OEMs working on a few different Nexus phones is true. 4 or 5 different Nexus phones would be awesome! Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony. It would be all about the hardware, hope it happens!

Honestly, what is the deal with Windows Phone doing so poorly in the market? It wouldn't surprise me to see WP8 not move their marketshare to any significant extent, even tho it really is a pretty nice OS and UI for what most people need. Quite fast and battery efficient, fluid, great with MS office for work, etc. There is just a stigma of failure that they seem to be stuck with and I don't see how it gets lifted anytime soon. I can't really explain why I wouldn't get a WP8 device, but I likely won't even consider it even tho it would probably be quite nice.

Certainly a case study for MBA schools.

Sent via EVO LTE

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm expecting a late November early December release. I just hope they don't announce it months before it was released.

All you VZW GNex owners know what I'm talking about...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Any chance of someone building a Nexus that doesn't have crappy Samsung radios? I really don't get how Google allows that to continue.

Sent via EVO LTE

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Any chance of someone building a Nexus that doesn't have crappy Samsung radios? I really don't get how Google allows that to continue.

Sent via EVO LTE

Well, seeing how it's rumored that Google chose to go with Samsung again other than HTC for the next Nexus phone, who knows. (While they're not the only ones, I consider HTC to be an excellent manufacturer that makes high-quality phones.) If that's true, I thought it would've been really cool to see HTC make a(nother) Nexus phone. Even though the GNex isn't bleeding-edge or have quite the premium build of an EVO LTE, it's still a thin, lightweight, and beautiful device.

Honestly though, I've never owned a Samsung phone so I can't say that I agree or disagree with you in terms of the "crappy radios" comment you made. However, my brother had a Samsung Instinct a few years ago and...well, let's just say he had a "blast" with it... (I'm being sarcastic because he HATED it and didn't work very well.) However, the Galaxy Nexus is EONS ahead of the Instinct, lol In fact, I'm considering a Nexus if Google announces/releases something later this year...and if I'm impressed with it enough to upgrade.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay