1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen Protector needed?

Just ordered my GNex, anyone have any problems with the display getting scratched? Is it gorilla glass? Just wondering if I should order a screen protector.

What about a skin or case for the GNex? Any recommendations?

Don T

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build5

I use xo skin and no issues I upgraded to a seidio 3800 battery and case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Default Re: Screen Protector needed?

No problems worrying about scratches. It's not a Gorilla Glass branded screen, but it is a scratch-resistant material that is the same stuff. It passes key tests (search youtube). I'm not using a screen protector.

As for cases, I have this one: http://www.shopandroid.com/incipio-s...A123A10630.htm

It's great and offers a high amount of protection. It's got the soft silicone skin to prevent scratches underneath, and the hard body snaps in place around the edges, protecting the corners even more. Adds much-needed grip to the phone, because without a case it's almost too thin and slippery. Not bulky like an otterbox.

A lot of other people like this: http://www.shopandroid.com/cruzerlit.../4A54A9797.htm

It's just a once piece case, so it's not as much protection, but it does offer an even thinner profile. It was my second choice, but I really wanted a silicone two-piece case - and that Incipio is the best one imo.

Before you order, check Amazon - they're much cheaper there.
    Thanked by:
    trap49 

ROM
    Stock ICS

I agree that the phone feels great in the hand. That said, I did add a Zagg screen protector that went on smoothly and looks nice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    trap49 

If scratches really bother you like they do me, use a screen protector. Any screen can be scratched.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by:

I use a screen protector, and for a case at work I use an Otterbox Commuter. (I like that most of the silicone inner is covered by the outer shell. Makes it easier to slide in and out of pockets).

I'm thinking of getting either a Zagg full body kit or Ghost armor or something similar. I have problems with moist/sweaty hands and I find the Gnex to be pretty slippery to hang onto. I think the Zagg body armour would help in that matter

I also upgraded the stock battery to a 2000mAh battery, the extra battery life is nice, and the extra bit of thickness makes it a bit easier to hold on to.
    Thanked by:
    trap49 

I plan on using a crystal clear screen protector if I can find one for the GSM Nexus. I have one on my 4S and it does a great job of protecting the screen without taking anything away from the Retina display.

Mine has a tiny scratch.

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    Mine has a tiny scratch.
    Any idea how it happened? Because this is my second Samsung phone with anti-scratch glass (first was a Galaxy S) and it never came close to being scratched. I have to imagine it'd take quite a bit to scratch this phone.

KNOCK ON WOOD

Using the Otterbox Defender case, and its pretty damn amazing, if a little pricey. For maximum protection, you will be hard put to find one better

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I use a Zagg screen protector. I dont know if i'ts needed but it's nice not having to worry about it.

OK, I don't know a lot about different screen protectors, but seeing as its the topic I don't feel bad about asking a question.

I have either used cheapie dry-apply screen protectors (the kind that you sometimes find thrown in for free when ordering accessories) or Zagg wet-apply ones. I like wet-apply rather then dry, they seem to apply better (less dust), stick longer, and are more scratch-resistant. My biggest beef with Zagg is the orange-peel look, especially with the screen off. The tacky/sticky feeling when its new wears off in a couple days but its never as slick as the bare screen.

So my fellow Gnex fans.... anyone have recommendations for the following: Body armor that is slightly sticky/grippy (kinda like a brand-new Zagg, but that keeps the grippiness)? And second of all, a wet-apply screen protector that is smooth and clear like a dry-apply protector? I've heard a few good recomendations, but I want to hear what you people are using other then Zagg. I'll get it again if nothing else, but I would prefer something more slick/smooth/clear.

I got the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield and would NOT recommend it.

Made the screen feel like rubber and normal use put stretch marks on the protector.

The only positive thing was it was pretty easy to apply and I usually stink at getting screen protectors on. I took it off a week later though and threw it in the trash.

I did a little research and decided I am going to try the clear VZ screen protector. They come 3 in a pack for $15, and a lot of reviewers seem to like the clear ones.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

I had the folks at Best Buy apply the Zagg screen to my Asus EEE Transformer, but I'm not terribly fond of the tacky feel of it. For my GN, I decided to go with what I had put on my old Motodroid, the Bodyguardz HD aka Sceenguardz. It's much easier to apply than other screen protectors I've tried and has a much better feel to it than Zagg. I may get one for my Asus and remove the Zagg that's on it. Found the Bodyguardz HD less expensive on Amazon than on the manufacturer's website.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

All glass can and will scratch. Scratch resistant glass is harder than coins and keys, but any grit or sand that we encounter every day(and is probably mixed with the lint in your pocket)can and will scratch it. Always use a screen protector.

Stay away from Zagg. They are complete trash. I use Steinheil Ultra Crystal on my EVO4GLTE, but being a hard protector, they don't cover the curved edges of the screen. Ghost Armor may be worth a shot

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

No screen protector since release day 6ish months ago. No scratches... yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by trap49 View Post
    Just ordered my GNex, anyone have any problems with the display getting scratched? Is it gorilla glass? Just wondering if I should order a screen protector.

What about a skin or case for the GNex? Any recommendations?

Don T
    I've had mine for 4 days. I've kept it pretty safe, but did notice a small scratch on the screen right below the front facing camera. I noticed similar scratches on my now retired Samsung Epic Touch with fortified glass.

Get the screen protector.

nnb