5 years with iOS, 3 days with GNex, what I like

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I will be the contrarian in the room.

I've never used iOS full time but I can appreciate that there are areas where Apple just executes better.

1) Backups. Not just contacts. App data too. Lose a phone? Get a new phone, enter Apple ID and you can pretty much start where you left off. Eventually, when you get a new phone, transferring data will be an utter pain.

2) Device security. Remote Lock/wipe, find my iPhone. I can't believe that the provider of Google Maps doesn't have this functionality as native in a device. Yes, there are 3rd parties. But it's not the same.

3) International. Google is terrible for functionality outside the USA. Here in Canada, there's no Google Voice, Wallet, or Music. Play store doesn't sell music either.

That said, I love my GNex. And I'm sure it'll improve a fair bit with Jellybean. But it would serve us all better if Google was called out on its failings.

There are areas that Google/Android execute better as well. Customization to your heart's content. Apps that will pretty much provide whatever functionality you want/need (including everything you mention above). The ability to find and download and stream media from a multitude of sources (you are not tied to Google Play). None of this requires that you root your phone. The latest Android OS Jelly Bean closes the gap significantly between the "smoothness" of the two platforms. And the choices of hardware to run Android are the icing on the cake for me. Yes Android/Google has some failings, as does iOS. It's what is left after the failings are recognized that makes the difference for me at this point.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I felt the exact same way but it is hard to put into words how smooth 4.1 is in comparison to 4.0.x. I thought ICS was smooth on my HOX using Nova Launcher but the Nexus with inferior hardware is much smoother now. Not quite as smooth as iOS but you can barely tell the difference. Definitely not worth sacrificing the functionality of android to go back to iOS to get an OS that is marginally smoother. I've noticed zero lag since getting my GSM Nexus with Jelly Bean and am pleasantly surprised after the less than stellar experience I had with my Verizon Nexus. Am probably going to be selling my HOX with superior hardware just because the Jelly Bean makes the Nexus a better overall experience.

Lose functionality? I'm still looking for the unified inbox on Android and being able to set a different wallpaper on the lock screen and home screens.

I added Hotmail to the "email" app that came on the phone. But when I add Gmail it doesn't have option to push there.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Lose functionality? I'm still looking for the unified inbox on Android and being able to set a different wallpaper on the lock screen and home screens.

I added Hotmail to the "email" app that came on the phone. But when I add Gmail it doesn't have option to push there.

Try K9 email app, I hear people rave about it. You can also push all your email accounts to GMAIL, and just use that on your phone.

Try Go Launcher, it allows for separate lockscreen functionality, including the wallpaper. Apex and Nova Launchers (paid versions perhaps) might have this as well, not sure.

:)

Last edited:

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
3) International. Google is terrible for functionality outside the USA. Here in Canada, there's no Google Voice, Wallet, or Music. Play store doesn't sell music either.

This is mind boggling. I have no idea how Android's heat map looks a whole lot better globally than domestically despite this huge service gap. What is really stopping Apple from completely destroying them over the pond? *scratches head*

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Try K9 email app, I hear people rave about it. You can also push all your email accounts to GMAIL, and just use that on your phone.

Try Go Launcher, it allows for separate lockscreen functionality, including the wallpaper. Apex and Nova Launchers (paid versions perhaps) might have this as well, not sure.

:)

I don't want an app, I want it to just do it. I don't want everything routed through Gmail either. My iPhone can do these things without apps...

Is there a way to manually setup an email as Exchange? I would just try the Google Sync settings I use on my iPhone but the email app seems to only want try to get all the setting's itself.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
For example, the placement of the comma on the stock keyboard was pretty annoying, and was hidden by the voice keyboard icon. When typing a message, the auto-complete words cover the comma at the top as well. I fixed that by moving it to the symbols keyboard screen.

Try out the app SwiftKey3 it replaces your stock keyboard with a top notch keyboard with lots of different settings and themes.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't want an app, I want it to just do it. I don't want everything routed through Gmail either. My iPhone can do these things without apps...

Is there a way to manually setup an email as Exchange? I would just try the Google Sync settings I use on my iPhone but the email app seems to only want try to get all the setting's itself.

Because taking 5 seconds to download an app is just too much of a pain in the ass.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Once you load the K9 app and add your email accounts, your phone will "just do it". This is no different than adding your email accounts to the email "app" that runs on the iPhone. Its just one extra step of downloading the app from the Play Store first.

You should also be able to add multiple accounts within the email app already on your phone (including exchange, which can be done by chosing to add a corporate account under settings -> accounts -> add account). If it is not working, try clearing the cache and data from the email app, and starting again. I've never had any issues getting multiple emails through my email client on my Android phones. I've been routing everything through GMAIL, which gets pushed to your phone quickly and easily, imo...makes life a whole lot easier.

I'm sure others may have more/better suggestions, these are the things I've tried that work.

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Try out the app SwiftKey3 it replaces your stock keyboard with a top notch keyboard with lots of different settings and themes.

If I get a keyboard, that is the one I will get. So far, after that change the stock keyboard has been good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to mention, I did not intend for the post to turn into a debate. I was hoping it would be full of things people liked.

That being said, here are a few more things I like, and a thought or 2.
- The text editing cursor when you are typing is easier to use, as your finger is less in the way.
- I use several Google services, and the Android app versions are far superior, case in point YouTube!!!!!
- Several people rave about access to the file system, well after 6 full days of use, I have not needed it.
- The phone size going from a 4S to a GNex is not much of an issue, and the larger screen is much nicer.
- I think not rooted and stock boot loader are the way I will keep the GNex, although I am waiting for JB!!!

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
i say go for the root even if you dont use it...it gives you availability to other apps that you cant use.

Consider swype or flext9 as your keyboard app. I was highly against this after using it for 1 day.....use it for 3 days and you will never go back to typing.

fyi, i use flext9

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I saw that Nexus devices get updates first...thats when I bought a Galaxy Nexus the other day. I plan to keep it when the new iPhone comes out. So, I'll have my unlock Nexus, and I'll use my 2-year upgrade on the new iPhone. Best of both worlds for me. :D
This is basically what I've been planning on doing as well, although, after I get a taste of JellyBean I might no want to return to iOS on a small device like the iPhone. I know it is rumored to be getting a larger display but I am not convinced that a slightly larger screen will make the new iPhone any better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sent from my iPad LTE...

Was it really necessary to quote my signature? I ordered the Nexus, and don't plan on giving up my iPad 3 which btw happens to be jailbroken and fully customizable. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
- I think not rooted and stock boot loader are the way I will keep the GNex, although I am waiting for JB!!!

Unlock the boot loader if its even a though in your mind, even if you never need it. I learned the hard way. I figured since I have a nexus I wouldn't want/need to until Verizon procrastinated on 4.0.4. Its easier to put all your apps and data, and layouts/settings back in the first week than after 5 months of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith