3 days with GNex

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I finally got away from Sprint after being with them for 10 years. They were good to me but cdma is basically crap, and I live in an area that will likely never get LTE since we never got Wimax and it took us forever to get 3g. I decided to dump my Epic Touch and switched to GSM Nexus with a Jelly Bean OTA update as soon as it arrived. I can only say one thing: WOW!

It took about 3 hours for my number to port from Sprint onto Straight Talk, using ATT's hspa+ network. My download speeds on the Epic Touch were between .15 to .75 Mbps (just atrocious) and I was still paying about 150 dollars a month for two lines. I am now paying 75 dollars a month for two lines and my speeds on Straight Talk average around 6 Mbps in the middle of the day, much more super late at night. Call quality was better on Sprint but it's not bad at all on Straight Talk. At least in my area, which is a pretty small town, the service and data that I'm getting now for the price, contract-free is truly remarkable. If anyone has any hesitations whatsoever about leaving behind a carrier and switching to prepaid, lemme tell you...do it! Do it now! Pairing it up with a GNex is a match made in heaven.

Despite the Gnex being an older device, Jelly Bean and all of its new features make it feel brand spanking new. I have no issues with it at all, everything works as it should and it really is buttery smooth performing day to day tasks. The battery life has also been much much better than my Epic Touch GS2. My friend recently got a Galaxy S3 and I have played with it some, Gnex with Jelly Bean is just as smooth. My only gripes with the Gnex compared to my GS2 is that the brightness is considerably lower on the Gnex (holding them and comparing them side to side). And also, the Gnex does stutter and lag more in games (I only play scramble, words with friends, etc.) but even in those low intensity games the performance was much better on the GS2. I really really love the feel of the Gnex in the hand, it is not as wide as the GS2 and I find one handed operation much more natural.

I can't believe I waited this long to make the switch to GSM, prepaid, and of course the unlocked Galaxy Nexus.

Reactions: envoynv

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm so tempted to go the prepaid route. Just buy my phones straight from Google. I've been with Sprint for 13+ years and while I don't have any glaring issues with them their 3g speeds are getting a bit annoying. My issue is is figuring out just how to get off the post paid carousel as I have 4 lines on my account all with different contract end dates, two of them just had their contracts renewed in the past 4 months.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone since late November/ early December on AT&T and I still haven't looked at any newer device with envy. If I don't like how things are on my Gnex, I just change it. Remarkable device, and I will be hard pressed to ever own anything but a Nexus device after this.