Thinking of making the switch...

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
To T-Mobile and a G-Nex (or the next Nexus) from Sprint and my Photon.
One hitch though is the integration of my Google Voice number that Sprint offers. My GVoice number has become my primary number, especially for work. How do the rest of you work with GVoice on your phones? I want to use it as my primary number, while still hanging on to my old number.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You can always port your current Sprint cell number to Google. Not sure how that works though if you also want to keep your GV number. I paid the $20 to keep my GV number while making my Sprint number my GV number so I presently have both. But I'm also considering going the GSM route with an unlocked galaxy nexus. I'm assuming porting the Sprint number to Google would replace the GV one. Anyone know?

Edit: Actually in your case, why don't you port your Sprint number to T-mobile and then you can also use your GV number.

Reactions: Kamin

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to aak a spectacularly stupid question, just bear in mind I've been in CDMA land for 10+ years and never gave GSM a second thought... but on T-mobile I can switch out the SIM card to any unlocked phone, right?

b0bbert

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to aak a spectacularly stupid question, just bear in mind I've been in CDMA land for 10+ years and never gave GSM a second thought... but on T-mobile I can switch out the SIM card to any unlocked phone, right?

Yes any unlocked phone should work on tmobiles EDGE network. Now if the phone supports 1700AWS will you get 4G service, if not, you're stuck on EDGE. Most quad-band phones work with EDGE only, if its penta-band (usually) you're g2g.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums App

Reactions: Biggnaa20

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
How do any users here like how the Gnex runs on T-mobile?
Also, I use an average of 6+ gb of data a month... how noticeable is the slowdown when you go over the 2gb limit?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Also, I use an average of 6+ gb of data a month... how noticeable is the slowdown when you go over the 2gb limit?

I'm very happy on T-Mobile. Can't comment on the cap though as my plan has unlimited 3G/4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

b0bbert

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

No complaints on T-Mobile here. I used to have the 2gb data plan with my gs2 and the speeds were noticeably slower once you pass the 2gb threshold. I changed to the 5gb plan and maybe go over by ~100-200mb. I do miss HSPA+ 42 speeds since the gsm nexus is only HSPA+ 21. Oh well. :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No complaints on T-Mobile here. I used to have the 2gb data plan with my gs2 and the speeds were noticeably slower once you pass the 2gb threshold. I changed to the 5gb plan and maybe go over by ~100-200mb. I do miss HSPA+ 42 speeds since the gsm nexus is only HSPA+ 21. Oh well. :cool:

(in a similar boat, i'll be switching to T-Mo $30 100min-unlimMessage-5gb4g/unlimiteddata plan)

what are your data speeds like when running on the HSPA+ 21?

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
It can run on HSPA+, not LTE.

Im somewhat confused with how these labels work. So far i've seen hspa+21, hspa+42 and lte. Are all hspa+ designations considered 4g? Is hspa+42 considered lte or is that going to be a different designation altogether?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded to the 2gb plan.

2g is REALLY slow, lol, if you go over your data cap.

I get 6 to 12 down and 3 up, generally. Speed test has shown as much as 15 down and 8 up.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Im somewhat confused with how these labels work. So far i've seen hspa+21, hspa+42 and lte. Are all hspa+ designations considered 4g? Is hspa+42 considered lte or is that going to be a different designation altogether?

LTE is a completely different technology than HSPA+ and is true 4G. HSPA+ is called 4G but is really more 3.5 -3.75G. HSPA+21 is max 21Mbps download and HSPA+42 is max 42Mbps. LTE theoretically can run 300Mbps download speeds but of course currently LTE is closer to the speeds of HSPA+42, usually a bit faster depending on your area. This phone runs on HSPA+21.

Reactions: Chris2183

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
LTE is a completely different technology than HSPA+ and is true 4G. HSPA+ is called 4G but is really more 3.5 -3.75G. HSPA+21 is max 21Mbps download and HSPA+42 is max 42Mbps. LTE theoretically can run 300Mbps download speeds but of course currently LTE is closer to the speeds of HSPA+42, usually a bit faster depending on your area. This phone runs on HSPA+21.

Thanks for the clarification. HSPA+ 21 sounds like it is plenty fast enough for my needs.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site

Technically LTE itself is an actual 3.5G. LTE Advanced can be 4G and HSPA+ is a little better 3G.

True 4G supposed to have 1gbit minimum. Marketing ruined it all saying everything is 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
To T-Mobile and a G-Nex (or the next Nexus) from Sprint and my Photon.
One hitch though is the integration of my Google Voice number that Sprint offers. My GVoice number has become my primary number, especially for work. How do the rest of you work with GVoice on your phones? I want to use it as my primary number, while still hanging on to my old number.

I use my GV # as my primary. It forwards to my carrier # and my computer for calls and texts. works just fine. You don't need to be on Sprint to have a good GV experience. The only downside is no MMS via GV.

b0bbert

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
(in a similar boat, i'll be switching to T-Mo $30 100min-unlimMessage-5gb4g/unlimiteddata plan)

Honestly I really don't notice much of a difference. Where I live I can usually get 6-10mb down and often over 1.5mb up. Naturally, if I travel closer to the city those speeds increase. I live in the Seattle area and can't wait to see what happens with that $4 billion tmo is investing into their network. Thanks AT&T.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Photon as well. I am debating moving to Straight Talk (AT&T Sim, better coverage in my area) with a Galaxy Nexus. 2 things concern me. The network and the phone.

When the iPhone was out the first few years, people flocked to AT&T and they dropped calls all the time. I never drop calls on Sprint and don't want to start.

I've had really bad luck with Samsung. The Nexus S 4G and the GSII both dropped calls a lot (My Photon & OG Evo never had call drop issues). They also both had the annoying 'caller can hear echo if I put them on speakerphone' issue.

Are the GSM GN radios strong enough and AT&T reliable enough to not drop calls? Honestly, 1 dropped call a week is too much. I don't even remember the last time I dropped a call.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm on that plan its great!

Speeds are dependent on SO many factors, but I do around 6-8mbps dn / 2-4mbps up. Middle of the day knock a couple mbps off there, but it always seems speedy.

Reactions: project.in.process

b0bbert

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Photon as well. I am debating moving to Straight Talk (AT&T Sim, better coverage in my area) with a Galaxy Nexus. 2 things concern me. The network and the phone.

When the iPhone was out the first few years, people flocked to AT&T and they dropped calls all the time. I never drop calls on Sprint and don't want to start.

I've had really bad luck with Samsung. The Nexus S 4G and the GSII both dropped calls a lot (My Photon & OG Evo never had call drop issues). They also both had the annoying 'caller can hear echo if I put them on speakerphone' issue.

Are the GSM GN radios strong enough and AT&T reliable enough to not drop calls? Honestly, 1 dropped call a week is too much. I don't even remember the last time I dropped a call.

I had a gsII on T-Mobile. Don't recall dropping any calls and have yet to drop one with my gsm nexus on T-Mobile. Can't comment on nexus with at&t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith