Just ordered 2x GSM Nexus from the play store

loumacuser

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Similar scenario here.

Droid X - long in the tooth, still on contract
VZW unlimited plan (on family plan for voice)
Must pay full price to retain unlimited data

Used VZW GNex same price as new HSPA+ from Play Store

Which TMO plan?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused - nothing new I guess

The Gnex in the play store is GSM and HSPA+. This will work on At&T.
Is HSPA+ the same thing AT&T is calling LTE or is AT&T LTE something all together different.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: I'm confused - nothing new I guess

The Gnex in the play store is GSM and HSPA+. This will work on At&T.
Is HSPA+ the same thing AT&T is calling LTE or is AT&T LTE something all together different.

No, LTE is different and this phone will not run on ATT LTE network.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Raisinbrannon, an even cheaper plan is the $30 unlimited text and data (5Gb at 4g) 100 minute plan if you don't need the minutes or use voip workarounds. That's the prepaid plan I'm doing.

jpr, do you have a link for more information regarding all the VOIP solutions to that tiny 100-min T-Mobile plan? I have heard about it before and it is what I am thinking of doing in October, but I'm not yet knowledgeable enough in regards to how to not use those 100 mins up. Although, even if I went over into 200 mins, I remember reading the extra charge by T-Mobile was pretty minuscule. I do have Google Voice - would using that not affect my minutes on the plan? Thanks for any further info on that, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
jpr, do you have a link for more information regarding all the VOIP solutions to that tiny 100-min T-Mobile plan? I have heard about it before and it is what I am thinking of doing in October, but I'm not yet knowledgeable enough in regards to how to not use those 100 mins up. Although, even if I went over into 200 mins, I remember reading the extra charge by T-Mobile was pretty minuscule. I do have Google Voice - would using that not affect my minutes on the plan? Thanks for any further info on that, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

If you go over your 100 minutes, TMO charges 10 cents a minute. I'd have to use several hundred extra minutes at that price to match my current Verizon bill and I don't make many calls so I'm not too worried for myself. I do plan on trying out some VOIP options and have not settled on a definite method yet since I don't have my phone yet and have not tested the various apps.

There is a helpful post in another forum than I am still reading through. I'm assuming I can't or shouldn't post links to other forums on this one but I will tell you how to find it. (If I shouldn't do that, I will remove the info if someone in charge tells me). Go to XDA Developers website and click on Forums. Scroll down and find the Samsung Galaxy Nexus section. Click on Galaxy Nexus General and look for a thread called '[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month.'

There are other ways too. A lot of people use Google Voice and the app Groove IP. Others use Skype, which costs money but is much less than the 10 cents a minute. There are other options too but I don't know what to recommend yet since I haven't tried any. But one thing you do not want to do is have your Google Voice calls just forwarded to your cell phone number without any VOIP being used because that will cost you minutes. TMO Voicemail costs minutes too.

Reactions: Jonneh

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I have an LTE plan with my skyrocket. do you think I need to call them and switch to the HSPA+? I was getting really slow speeds on my GN (not more than 4mpbs dl.) thanks.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I have an LTE plan with my skyrocket. do you think I need to call them and switch to the HSPA+? I was getting really slow speeds on my GN (not more than 4mpbs dl.) thanks.

I haven't had ATT in over a decade so I'm not sure how they do their plans these days and if you have access to all networks up to the speed of the plan you pay for. You may need to change your APN for HSPA+. It's also possible that ATT's HSPA+ network where you live is not fully built out or is slow. I would call them and ask or first maybe do a search for the APN and how to change it and see if you can improve your connection speeds.

Reactions: dalvik

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I haven't had ATT in over a decade so I'm not sure how they do their plans these days and if you have access to all networks up to the speed of the plan you pay for. You may need to change your APN for HSPA+. It's also possible that ATT's HSPA+ network where you live is not fully built out or is slow. I would call them and ask or first maybe do a search for the APN and how to change it and see if you can improve your connection speeds.
i did try all of that. but thanks for your reply.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your reply, so If I ditch Verizon LTE and get this phone, my network speed on AT&T will not be as fast as my current speed on Verizon 4G LTE which sometimes exceed the speed of my home Wifi network? Is that what this means?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for your reply, so If I ditch Verizon LTE and get this phone, my network speed on AT&T will not be as fast as my current speed on Verizon 4G LTE which sometimes exceed the speed of my home Wifi network? Is that what this means?

Most likely it would be slower. I say that instead of an outright yes because it depends on where you live in reality. Where I live, Verizon LTE is not faster than local HSPA +21 speeds. But in most cases yes.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site

Most likely it would be slower. I say that instead of an outright yes because it depends on where you live in reality. Where I live, Verizon LTE is not faster than local HSPA +21 speeds. But in most cases yes.

I live in Philadelphia and have fairly good Verizon LTE 4G speeds. Is HSPA+ faster than 3G or is it 3G with just another name?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's faster than regular 3g. Max download speeds for the unlocked nexus would be 21 Mbps but no one gets max of course. You can probably find some anecdotal speeds if you google it since you are in a major city.