Rooting 4.1.1

asdf12321

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello friends.
I jumped on the wagon and upgraded to JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C) from 4.1 (JRN84D) and, predictably, I lost root in the process.
So I tried flashing the 'JellyFix.zip' file that's been floating around that I used to root 4.1 in the first place, but that render my system unstable (apps and processes forced closing on me left and right on boot), so I'm back to 4.1 for tthe time being.
Do anyone has by any chance a solution to root 4.1.1?
Best regrds

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
WugFresh toolkit does not work...

What now? Really want a way to root this baby now. Get it back exactly how I want it.

Last edited:

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Would you be so kind as to link me to the new one??

I'm using version 1.4

-E- Google search. Iol found it.

Downloading v 1.5.1 and will post back with how it went.

Last edited:

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No luck with the new version.

The program doesn't have the option to select my model type. Most of the builds in this version are still 4.0.4. The only Jelly Bean device in 4.1 with build number JRN48D.

I need a 4.1.1 build number JRO03C.

I went on a tried it with the 4.1 version. Went through the bootloader screens. Once it rebooted I couldn't get through the SuperSU installation.

Anybody else got any ideas? Maybe when Wug will update the toolkit to support 4.1.1?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rooting your phone manually is safer and more satisfying than using a one-click or a tool kit :)

Follow Jerry's guide to get the SDK/fastboot on your computer. I've copied the important steps for you below:

1. Install the Android SDK

• Go to the Android Developer site and download the Windows installer version. Choose the installer version to ensure you get the correct drivers installed.
  • Save the SDK to your desktop, right click it and choose to "Run as administrator".
  • Accept all the defaults and let the SDK install

2. Set your PATH variable
  • Click the Start button, right click Computer and select Properties.
  • In the window that opens, on the left, select "Advanced system settings".
  • In the next window that opens, near the bottom, select "Environment Variables".
  • Another window will open, in the bottom text box select "Path" and click the button labeled "Edit..."
  • You'll see a new dialog where you can enter text. Navigate to the end of the existing text, and enter the following exactly as written:
    Code:
    ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk
  • Click "OK" and the small dialog will close. Click "OK" in the Environment Variables window, and it will close, then click "OK" in the System Properties window and it will close. Also close the Control Panel window.

3. Download fastboot.exe for Windows

Now that you have the SDK and fastboot, it's time to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery.

1. Download root package: Link
2. Download CWM: Link
3. Reboot into Fastboot Mode: Power off your device and (Power + Volume Up and Down)
4. Unlock the bootloader if locked (fastboot oem unlock) then reboot into fastboot mode again; if you're already unlocked, skip this step
5. Temporarily flash CWM by opening Windows cmd, navigating to the file from step 2 and using the command (fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.0.2-maguro.img)
6. Boot into recovery (Press Volume Up twice until you see "Recovery mode" then press the Power button)
7. Using CWM recovery, flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.93.zip that you downloaded in step 1
8. Reboot into the OS
9. You are now rooted

How to Install ClockworkMod

1. Install Root Explorer from the market and delete /system/recovery-from-boot.p *Mount as R/W first* See this link for help
2. Reboot into Fastboot Mode: Power off your device and (Power + Volume Up and Down)
3. Flash CWM again to make it stick permanently (fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.0.2-maguro.img)
4. Reboot into OS (fastboot reboot)
5. You now have CWM recovery permanently installed

(I borrowed the above steps from this thread, and modified them slightly + added updated links)

It seems like a lot at first glance, but once you get the SDK on your computer and run through this process once, it's a piece of cake if you need to do it again. Plus you don't have to wait for toolkits or one-clicks to be updated.

Last edited:

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the steps you've given, but I enjoy the one-click method way too much :D

I talked to Wug and he said he will update his toolkit today to include support for 4.1.1 and build number JRO03C.

Look for version 1.5.2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the steps you've given, but I enjoy the one-click method way too much :D

I talked to Wug and he said he will update his toolkit today to include support for 4.1.1 and build number JRO03C.

Look for version 1.5.2

Stop relying on other people to do the work for you. There is no excuse not to root and flash your own phone when you own a Nexus. Its amazingly easy, and hey you'll learn a thing or two while you do it.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello friends.
I jumped on the wagon and upgraded to JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C) from 4.1 (JRN84D) and, predictably, I lost root in the process.
So I tried flashing the 'JellyFix.zip' file that's been floating around that I used to root 4.1 in the first place, but that render my system unstable (apps and processes forced closing on me left and right on boot), so I'm back to 4.1 for tthe time being.
Do anyone has by any chance a solution to root 4.1.1?
Best regrds

The Gnex Toolkit on XDA has been updated to work with 4.1.1.

[GNex TOOLKIT V7.4] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE [GSM] - xda-developers

Reactions: bullet

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'll try this version. Wug updated to 1.5.2 and it still doesn't work. SuperSU won't install.

About WugFresh toolkit though...

If there were a problem during the rooting process, (ie. with drivers, etc.) I would have gotten an error before I got to the installation step of SuperSU, right?

Could there be a problem with SuperSU installing because I've already tried and failed to root a couple of other times (ie. there are corrupted files or something getting in the way)? If I wipe and try again would there be a better chance of it working?

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I'll try this version. Wug updated to 1.5.2 and it still doesn't work. SuperSU won't install.

About WugFresh toolkit though...

If there were a problem during the rooting process, (ie. with drivers, etc.) I would have gotten an error before I got to the installation step of SuperSU, right?

Could there be a problem with SuperSU installing because I've already tried and failed to root a couple of other times (ie. there are corrupted files or something getting in the way)? If I wipe and try again would there be a better chance of it working?

Did you at least get Clockwork installed? If so you can flash the root package from my previous post.

Sent from my Nexus 7

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you at least get Clockwork installed? If so you can flash the root package from my previous post.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I'll try to manually flash the link you gave thru CWM...

-E- Wow... That worked.

I don't know why I overlooked that in the first place.

Thanks for pointing out how simple that was again lol

Rooted Jelly Bean woohoo!!!!

Last edited: