Enable volume rockers/buttons to wake phone?

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm used to my old BlackBerry where I could wake my phone with any of the 8 or 9 buttons it had. Now with my GNexus, I see it will only wake up if I press the power button.

I fear I'll wear out the power button from constantly pressing it. I haven't come across any settings within ICS to allow the volume buttons to wake the phone.

FYI, I use a PIN to lock my phone. Not sure if that has any effect on things.

Anyone know where I can adjust these settings? Or if there is an app that I can install to handle this? (I've searched Play for hours last night and I can't tell if any of them will help this situation.)

Any input is appreciated.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
(on both the Evo/Thunderbolt/any Roms i've flashed, i've had to do the following--it's worth a shot to see if you have the same files in the directory path as i've outlined below)
& as always, it's safest, since you're working in the /sys or /system file path to make a nandroid backup before hand just in case.

using a file explorer on the phone, mount the system as Read/Write,
navigate to the directory path:

/system/usr/keylayout/
find the "keypad.kl" file, long press it, open in text editor
find VOLUME_UP
and
VOLUME_DOWN
and type "WAKE" next to each entry.
then settings or menu and "save changes"

now, in the same directory, open "keypad-vo.kl" or similar,
and do the same steps to add "WAKE" next to each Volume UP/DOWN entry.

sorry i can't provide exact file names--but that's how i've done it on both an Evo & a Thunderbolt.

may require a restart of the phone to take effect.

***if anyone can provide the nexus file name, please feel free to quote/edit***

Last edited:
Reactions: knightfall

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
(on both the Evo/Thunderbolt/any Roms i've flashed, i've had to do the following--it's worth a shot to see if you have the same files in the directory path as i've outlined below)
& as always, it's safest, since you're working in the /sys or /system file path to make a nandroid backup before hand just in case.

using a file explorer on the phone, mount the system as Read/Write,
navigate to the directory path:

/system/usr/keylayout/
find the "tuna-gpio-keypad.kl" file, long press it, open in text editor
find VOLUME_UP
and
VOLUME_DOWN
and type "WAKE" next to each entry.
then settings or menu and "save changes"

now, in /system/usr/keychars, open "tuna-gpio-keypad-vo.kl" or similar,
and do the same steps to add "WAKE" next to each Volume UP/DOWN entry.

sorry i can't provide exact file names--but that's how i've done it on both an Evo & a Thunderbolt.

may require a restart of the phone to take effect.

***if anyone can provide the nexus file name, please feel free to quote/edit***

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow... My first Android hacking. Nerve-racking...

This won't affect any warranties I have, will it? I forgot to add in my OP I'd like to keep the system stock if possible...

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There is always a jumble with warranties and modifying phones. Typically if you have root, that voids the warranty with the carrier. Anytime you do a modification to your phone, its considered you voiding the warranty. But if it does come to it and you did have to send your phone in, you can theoretically redo everything and try to pretend you haven't done anything with your phone. Here's a little explanation that I found about the matter:

when you purchase a device you agree to not modify system software
Rooting voids tech. Warranty because you have dared to modify the system software which it was bundled with.
Rooting itself is the simple act of pushing the su binary to/ system
once you unless root the device, there won't be able to trace the system modification
A techs work is to inspect the device and check whether there are signs of tampering .
If he feels that you have not tampered with the device then he can grant warranty to you.
If he feels you have some how managed to tamper the device he can void the warranty .
Honestly a tech is not equipped with forensic class tools just inspect traces of su binary . It's just plainly easier to restore a corrupted software than to trace the origin of root .
Also some companies (cough AVG cough) think keeping superuser.apk amounts rooting which is a common misconception.
It all depends on the inspecting tech anyway .
Most probabale chance is he may not void the warranty.
But then again who knows ....

So all in all it will just depend on the carrier and what they say. But I would like to believe we live in a world that they wouldn't care if you changed something so simple as making a couple buttons turn your screen on.

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I guess I should go read up on how to root the phone. I've seen it being spoken of everywhere.

This won't affect the Jelly Bean OTA will it? Would I have to re-do this mod after JB is installed?

(I'm very new to Android, so I appreciate your patience and responses.)

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
That was an excellent link, thank you.

I think I'll hold off as I'm not 100% comfortable with rooting and the risk of voiding warranty. I also don't want to brick my new phone. :-\

I just hope the power button doesn't wear out prematurely. Warranty or no warranty.

Thanks again.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Still a good choice. You paid a solid price for the phone, don't want to turn it into a shiny brick. Do what you are comfortable doing with your device! I've had mine since Nov/Dec, and have used nothing but the power button to wake the device. Still going strong. Its a sturdy phone, so you shouldn't have to worry about much.

Cheers!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If your goal is not to use the power button, there is also an app called PGM on the market (requires root). You can unlock your phone by swiping your finger left to right, and lock your phone by swiping right to left at the bottom of the screen. That's what I'm using and it works great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: project.in.process

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So a few minutes, by coincidence, I discovered that the volume buttons do the wake phone... However I was trying to wake the device by pressing the buttons. If you press and hold, as you may do to go in and out of silent mode, it too wakes the screen!

No hacks, no apps. Just hold. haha

billculver

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at Widget Locker in the play store. It will enable wake with volume buttons. Nice piece of software, very flexible, and working pretty good with JB.
Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa