Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew Martonik
  • 1 Post By jimmytheflea
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Default Facebook contact sync in jelly bean

One of the jelly bean features I read about was an integrated Facebook contact sync. However, my contacts are not syncing. Anyone else notice this? Any fixes?

Default Re: Facebook contact sync in jelly bean

Where did you read this? They didn't announce it. There's no Facebook sync in 4.1, as there wasn't in stock 4.0 (or 2.3 for that matter).
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

It is in articles such as this one, under notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleresq View Post
    It is in articles such as this one, under notifications.

I don't use Facebook on my phone so can't check, but did you install the app and enable whatever setting they refer to?

Jelly Bean also brings proper Facebook contact integration. This takes an extra step, because you need to download and install the Facebook app first. Once you do, a Facebook item appears in the Settings page that lets you integrate Facebook contacts with the phone's address book. You still can't integrate Facebook's Events Calendar, but that's less of a problem.

Although that's the first I've read anywhere about JB changes for more FB integration.

Well those guys are wrong. Yes, the option pulls up and you can check "sync contacts" under your Facebook account in Settings, but it doesn't work. Exactly like it was in stock ICS...
    jimmytheflea likes this.

ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.1.1

I don't think Google wants to have anything to do with Facebook... Google is pushing Google+ to complete with Facebook.

Since ICS they're trying to put Facebook on the back burner as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy01234 View Post
    I don't think Google wants to have anything to do with Facebook... Google is pushing Google+ to complete with Facebook.

Since ICS they're trying to put Facebook on the back burner as much as possible
    This was actually the case on stock 2.3 also. The Nexus S didn't have Facebook contact sync either. Google would allow it if Facebook would use the API properly and provide proper hooks into the system. Facebook continues to not play ball, and here we are.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

I think everyone is right, it definitely doesn't work. I will continue to use one of the additional application that syncs my contact photos. It's really ridiculous, I have a Google plus account and absolutely nobody is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    This was actually the case on stock 2.3 also. The Nexus S didn't have Facebook contact sync either. Google would allow it if Facebook would use the API properly and provide proper hooks into the system. Facebook continues to not play ball, and here we are.

ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by kyleresq View Post
    I think everyone is right, it definitely doesn't work. I will continue to use one of the additional application that syncs my contact photos. It's really ridiculous, I have a Google plus account and absolutely nobody is on it.
    What application do you use to sync your Facebook friends to Gnex? I use matcher ... but it works half *** and all the images are extremely low resolution meaning that they're all pixelated

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy01234 View Post
    What application do you use to sync your Facebook friends to Gnex? I use matcher ... but it works half *** and all the images are extremely low resolution meaning that they're all pixelated
    Try Haxsync, it works really well and uses hi-res pics.
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mdorty View Post
    Thanks, purchased it ... been mucking around ... looks good

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)

I have haxsync. It's OK for syncing pics, but the status updates, which it claims to do doesn't work at all, either on JB or ICS.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Both are rooted, stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mdorty View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Just purchased it and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Constable View Post
    I have haxsync. It's OK for syncing pics, but the status updates, which it claims to do doesn't work at all, either on JB or ICS.
    I am seeing status updates just fine. In your contacts app, touch a contact's picture and swipe to the right to see their status updates.
    Rhoq

Dear Guys !

Is there any hope that Facebook Sync is done in JB 4.1 in Samsung Nexus i9250. Do anybody have the solution???

Hassan

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

I've been using "Facebook contacts Sync" by Danut Chereches. I guess it sounds very generic but it does work. Has options for picture size and what contacts to sync. Just throwing that out there as an extra one to try. It's a tiny download at 120k too.
    Ham!

i noticed that too!! how do you fix the not syncing part?? my bf thought i was crazy. (

ROM
    Stock

Hi Guys,
    The issue as Andrew Martonik said above is that Google changed the API for the People app in 4.0 and above. They had to because the completely re-designed the People app which is excellent in my opinion. Facebook didn't want to adhere to the terms of the API and they said that it was due to privacy concerns over user data but that is obviously rubbish, especially since they have their own API that can be queried for the same exact information which is what a few of these apps to sync contact info are able to do without breaking any rules.

The best one that I have used is Contact Sync for Facebook (link below) and it allows you to choose the image quality to sync, and if you want to sync on Facebook ID. The Facebook ID is actually quite good because if you spend the time once, you can add the Facebook ID to the notes of your Google Contact and the app will auto join the Synced contacts.

If you like my post, just hit Thanks!
    Thanked by 2:
    Tedi20 likes this.

So I used Contact Sync, which worked. But it worked TOO well, and now ALL of my facebook contacts are showing up in People and I do not want them all there. I have tried setting it to show only my main Google contacts, and they are all still showing up. Anybody know how to make it sync Facebook profiles ONLY with my existing contacts?

Currently, it's possible. [edit: I use Android 4.0.4]

I succeeded in setting settings in Facebook to sync contacts with android contacts.
    This is done by standard "Facebook for Android" app

Secondly, "Adam Silva", you can select sync to sync ALL contacts or only the existing ones. Second option will only add picture/etc to the android contacts you already have.
    Unfortunately, I have the impression this is not 100%. In my case, it synced all. Maybe a bug.

Only remaining issue I have is that I want to merge ALL the facebook contacts with my google contacts.
    So I got them on my android, but I want to sync them with my google account. It only merges those that are on device already, not the pure facebook contacts.
    For this I go to CONTACTS / Contacts / menu: "Merge with Google". Answer "ok" to merge. Error "No device contacts to merge with Google account".

Hope this helps any of you.

Gizmoh
    Last edited by gizmoh; 01-18-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: extra info

Red face Re: Facebook contact sync in jelly bean

ok this sounds great where do you find contacts cant find that on my app anywhere so can you give me more info cheers thats the facebook app
    i only have settings
    code generator
    edit favorites
    account
    privacy settings
    terms policies
    help center

Hi..I'm using jelly bean 4.1 ..I installed Facebook and tried to sync it..my phone shows its synced but in phone book there's no contacts.is it my Phones problem or is it androids problem?

try installing contacts plus or + there is also sync.me as even when i got sync to work on face book thr pics were all blured but contacts + sorted it you may have to go to your settting and alow sync to work might be diff as i have a razr i but give what i have mentiond