Google Play Music - Ringtones.....

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

Scroll all the way to the bottom and see under Google Play Music that:

You can set a song as your ringtone from Play Music, and the new ringtone editor lets you crop that track to the exact section you'd like to use for the ringtone.

I might just be tired and missing something, but I don't see how to do this. Anybody figure it out yet?

mattyb1085

May 23, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know(which may not be that far) you have to have the music on your SDcard in order to use it as a ringtone. It can't be music from the cloud.

mattyb1085

May 23, 2011
Visit site
my galaxy nexus doesn't have an SDcard

I mean the music has to be saved to your device. Although the GN doesn't have an SDcard when you use a file explorer that is the name given to the location where you store things. You need the music to be saved in the SDcard location on your Galaxy Nexus.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I updated OTA Saturday and I do not see this editor function at all. I suspect the updated player did not make it to the 4.1.1 update and the player in the Playstore is from March. How are we going to get the updated player? Will there be a 4.1.2 update or will they just update it in the Playstore?

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've tried it with on-device music and still see nothing. I've got to imagine that we're waiting on the app to update via play store.

Carl Kolchack

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Finally figured this out. Pretty much everything I read about how to transfer music from Googleplay to your ringtones was useless or written in geek speak. Here's how you do it.
Go to Googleplay and download the music to your computer. Plug your phone into the computer, open the ringtones folder then drag and drop the music from your computer to the ringtone folder on your phone...it's just that simple.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Finally figured this out. Pretty much everything I read about how to transfer music from Googleplay to your ringtones was useless or written in geek speak. Here's how you do it.
Go to Googleplay and download the music to your computer. Plug your phone into the computer, open the ringtones folder then drag and drop the music from your computer to the ringtone folder on your phone...it's just that simple.

Actually, you figured out the workaround. The music app was supposed to have an actual ringtone editor built in so you could play only the portion you want and then make that edited copy available as a ringtone.

Bittertoe

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Finally after countless hours I did it....

If you are a Chromebook and Galaxy S4 user this is a must read! Chromebook users read additional stuff at the end.

OK I did it without syncing the phone to a computer. This was important to me because I have a Chromebook and I can not hook it up directly to download stuff.

Use this app from the Google Play Store: Airdroid
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/airdroid/hkgndiocipalkpejnpafdbdlfdjihomd
and follow the set up instructions. This app is great because you can basically use your phone on your computer, plus other bonuses like phone tracker, etc...

Once you are all set up... (I assume you use this through Chrome for best results or any results. Don't know about other browsers.)
Go to the Music app on the " Galaxy Screen" (in your browser) and click it.
Select "Upload"
Select or Drag and drop the Ringtones/music you want to the window that opens and click Upload.
It will upload everything your selected to your Galaxy and place it in the Sound Picker.
Then from your S4:
Go to: Settings-My device-Call-Ringtones and key notes-Ringtones-Add-Music picker
and there you go.

For Chromebook users;
What I did is go to "Google Play Music" and downloaded the ringtones/music to "Downloads" on the local disk. I think you can also do this via Google Drive but first time out the gate I wanted to go the easiest route. It will download the files as a zip. YOU MUST FIRST OPEN THE ZIP FILE. Then follow the steps from above for Airdroid.

Best of luck to everyone, Bitter.

Mygia

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a ringtone. It is in Google Music Play. I can see it in the library and I can listen to the ringtone. How do I get it added to the list of ringtones on my Motorrola Droid Razr so that it can be used for a contact ringtone?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a ringtone. It is in Google Music Play. I can see it in the library and I can listen to the ringtone. How do I get it added to the list of ringtones on my Motorrola Droid Razr so that it can be used for a contact ringtone?

Copy it to the ringtone folder.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Connect to your PC. You will find the tone in the music folder. Just copy from there and paste into the ringtone folder and you should then see it as an available ringtone.

Mygia

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I had not hooked my phone up to the computer before. Got the cable, the drivers and software installed. I was able to see every file. I painstakiningly went through each foler and subfolders and could not locate the ringtone I purchased, even though it is on the phone and I can play in in Google Play Music. Maybe the next time I am with one of my adult children - who are all infinitely better at this stuff than I am, one of them can solve the mystery. thanks again.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It should be in the music folder and if it is the only ringtone it should be the smallest file. You could try and identify it that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad