Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Music - Ringtones.....

Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

Scroll all the way to the bottom and see under Google Play Music that:

You can set a song as your ringtone from Play Music, and the new ringtone editor lets you crop that track to the exact section you'd like to use for the ringtone.
    I might just be tired and missing something, but I don't see how to do this. Anybody figure it out yet?

Default Re: Google Play Music - Ringtones.....

As far as I know(which may not be that far) you have to have the music on your SDcard in order to use it as a ringtone. It can't be music from the cloud.
    - Keith

my galaxy nexus doesn't have an SDcard

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvb2 View Post
    my galaxy nexus doesn't have an SDcard
    I mean the music has to be saved to your device. Although the GN doesn't have an SDcard when you use a file explorer that is the name given to the location where you store things. You need the music to be saved in the SDcard location on your Galaxy Nexus.
    - Keith

I've been waiting for stock to get this for a long time. I think the version of Sense on the Thunderbolt had it.

I updated OTA Saturday and I do not see this editor function at all. I suspect the updated player did not make it to the 4.1.1 update and the player in the Playstore is from March. How are we going to get the updated player? Will there be a 4.1.2 update or will they just update it in the Playstore?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeah I've tried it with on-device music and still see nothing. I've got to imagine that we're waiting on the app to update via play store.

My app updated this morning and I still do not see any editor....
    Pat
    Chromecast

Well what do you know...... they took it out of the list of JB features on the official site.

Guess that answers the question. Wonder if there is a patent issue....
    Pat
    Chromecast
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well thats a little upsetting

What do you know, it is back in the list but still not an available feature.

Android - Android 4.2, Jelly Bean
    Pat
    Chromecast

Finally figured this out. Pretty much everything I read about how to transfer music from Googleplay to your ringtones was useless or written in geek speak. Here's how you do it.
    Go to Googleplay and download the music to your computer. Plug your phone into the computer, open the ringtones folder then drag and drop the music from your computer to the ringtone folder on your phone...it's just that simple.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kolchack View Post
    Finally figured this out. Pretty much everything I read about how to transfer music from Googleplay to your ringtones was useless or written in geek speak. Here's how you do it.
    Go to Googleplay and download the music to your computer. Plug your phone into the computer, open the ringtones folder then drag and drop the music from your computer to the ringtone folder on your phone...it's just that simple.
    Actually, you figured out the workaround. The music app was supposed to have an actual ringtone editor built in so you could play only the portion you want and then make that edited copy available as a ringtone.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Finally after countless hours I did it....

If you are a Chromebook and Galaxy S4 user this is a must read! Chromebook users read additional stuff at the end.

OK I did it without syncing the phone to a computer. This was important to me because I have a Chromebook and I can not hook it up directly to download stuff.

Use this app from the Google Play Store: Airdroid
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...afdbdlfdjihomd
    and follow the set up instructions. This app is great because you can basically use your phone on your computer, plus other bonuses like phone tracker, etc...

Once you are all set up... (I assume you use this through Chrome for best results or any results. Don't know about other browsers.)
    Go to the Music app on the " Galaxy Screen" (in your browser) and click it.
    Select "Upload"
    Select or Drag and drop the Ringtones/music you want to the window that opens and click Upload.
    It will upload everything your selected to your Galaxy and place it in the Sound Picker.
    Then from your S4:
    Go to: Settings-My device-Call-Ringtones and key notes-Ringtones-Add-Music picker
    and there you go.

For Chromebook users;
    What I did is go to "Google Play Music" and downloaded the ringtones/music to "Downloads" on the local disk. I think you can also do this via Google Drive but first time out the gate I wanted to go the easiest route. It will download the files as a zip. YOU MUST FIRST OPEN THE ZIP FILE. Then follow the steps from above for Airdroid.

Best of luck to everyone, Bitter.

I purchased a ringtone. It is in Google Music Play. I can see it in the library and I can listen to the ringtone. How do I get it added to the list of ringtones on my Motorrola Droid Razr so that it can be used for a contact ringtone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mygia View Post
    I purchased a ringtone. It is in Google Music Play. I can see it in the library and I can listen to the ringtone. How do I get it added to the list of ringtones on my Motorrola Droid Razr so that it can be used for a contact ringtone?
    Copy it to the ringtone folder.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Copy it to the ringtone folder.
    I have no idea how to do this. I am using a file Manager, but cannot locate the ringtone anywhere. Going to Google Music Play there are no options for copy and paste.

Connect to your PC. You will find the tone in the music folder. Just copy from there and paste into the ringtone folder and you should then see it as an available ringtone.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Thanks for the help. I had not hooked my phone up to the computer before. Got the cable, the drivers and software installed. I was able to see every file. I painstakiningly went through each foler and subfolders and could not locate the ringtone I purchased, even though it is on the phone and I can play in in Google Play Music. Maybe the next time I am with one of my adult children - who are all infinitely better at this stuff than I am, one of them can solve the mystery. thanks again.

It should be in the music folder and if it is the only ringtone it should be the smallest file. You could try and identify it that way.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    It should be in the music folder and if it is the only ringtone it should be the smallest file. You could try and identify it that way.
    Mission accomplished. I learned that I had to not only have it down loaded to my phone, but I had to have it downloaded to my desktop. Once downloaded to my desktop, I was then able to follow your directions and get it added to the ringtone folder on my phone. Thanks much for your help and patience.

Angry Re: Google Play Music - Ringtones.....

It might be simple, but I don't want to spend time buying music through phone, then downloading to computer then back to phone. It's stone age solution. If I pay full price for the album, I would like to be able to use it as I wish...

Quote Originally Posted by roccom33 View Post

Scroll all the way to the bottom and see under Google Play Music that:

I might just be tired and missing something, but I don't see how to do this. Anybody figure it out yet?

I have an S4 and when I tried to follow the link, it told me my operating system was not supported just yet

Quote Originally Posted by allyblueslover View Post

I have an S4 and when I tried to follow the link, it told me my operating system was not supported just yet
    Who are you responding to? The original poster was looking at a Google Play Music feature that was supposed to be in the app but was never released.
    Pat
    Chromecast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast