Why did my nexus hard reboot?

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Last night my Galaxy Nexus (unlocked bootloader, not rooted, 4.1.1) did a factory reset unbidden in my pocket.

I'm not sure if I somehow pressed a button combination that triggered it, but the Gnexus was password protected and locked, so that shouldn't be the case.

My only other thoughts are that it may have been tied to the exchange security my job mandates.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait, so did it just do a full reboot, or was your device actually wiped clean of all data when it powered back on?

If the latter, I'd look to your work exchange service. That's the only thing that can trigger a remove wipe like that.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so did it just do a full reboot, or was your device actually wiped clean of all data when it powered back on?

If the latter, I'd look to your work exchange service. That's the only thing that can trigger a remove wipe like that.

Where I work, they offered to let me use my Gnex for work email, but if I leave the company, they would send a wipe command. I said no, I want more control over it, besides, I like to keep my personal stuff away from work, so they issued me a Blackberry.

I have only seen a wipe like that during my T-Bolt days, I was rooted and had a poorly written wipe app that would wipe after 10 times. One day after two incorrect passcode entries, it opened on my third, but wiped. Uninstalled the app after that.

Reactions: Biggnaa20

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. Especially since it seems like no one else is having this issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Tarzanman

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happened to me last night. My galaxy Nexus (running stock Jelly Bean) somehow factory reset itself while sitting in my pocket. Completely stock device. I am not rooted (never have been) and I have never unlocked the bootloader.

Wiped all of my photos and settings. I only figured out what happened when I tried to pull my phone out of my pocket later and saw that the screen was still on and prompting me for a language selection.

No phone (touchscreen or no) should be able to reset itself via being jostled in a pocket.

Now I have a ton of stuff to reload onto the device (music, tones, movies, photos, etc).

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happened to me last night. My galaxy Nexus (running stock Jelly Bean) somehow factory reset itself while sitting in my pocket. Completely stock device. I am not rooted (never have been) and I have never unlocked the bootloader.

You haven't said whether you use work's exchange etc so perhaps remote wipe but there are plenty of apps that allow you to do this, perhaps you have installed a security app that has malfunctioned, or perhaps triggered by sms and the keyword detection is lax...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12