Sending Google Voice messages through default messaging app

vichkata

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
So I recently switched Sims in my galaxy nexus and I am planning on switching back and forth quite often so I figured Google voice would do the trick in fixing that. So i set it up and told every one my new number and voila it worked. Except not quite. Personally I really hate the Google Voice interface and love the stock one (messaging app) so i was wondering if there is anyway to have the messaging app send texts using my Google voice number. I though this was possible because in the GV settings it says "receive messages through messaging app".

Any help is appreciated thank you in advance. :)

P.S. Oh and BTW guys why do all the text I receive through GV show up as a weird and random number (only in the messaging app)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
P.S. Oh and BTW guys why do all the text I receive through GV show up as a weird and random number (only in the messaging app)

So you've already seen the downfall of recieving Google Voice messages in the Messaging app. In order to for the Messaging app to differentiate between your carrier # and Google Voice #, the phone needs to put a second contact # on each contact entry. This way, the phone knows what # to send the SMS from. Think of it as a forwarding number or a middle-man number. If you select the contact's actual #, then it comes from your carrier #. If you select their "randomly" assigned #, then it comes from your Google Voice #.

The only way around this is to either use the Google Voice app only, or if you're rooted, you can use an app that fully integrates Google Voice SMS into the stock Messaging app, like Google Voice SMS Integration.

Last edited:

vichkata

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for answering so promptly and completely I am downloading the SMS integrator right now. Thanks again :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for answering so promptly and completely I am downloading the SMS integrator right now. Thanks again :)

No problem. Hope it works out for you.

I use Google Voice as my primary #, and just choose to use the Google Voice application. Its definitely got some shortcomings, but I can deal with it considering how much texting I end up doing in the browser instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21