A question about Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean Update!

1aziz

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys!

I want to ask you something,
I would to know that how can I officially get Jelly Bean update for my Galaxy Nexus without any rooting or .. I live in The Netherlands, have Galaxy Nexus (T-Mobile carrier).

I'm actually new on Android, and not so familiar with Android rooting, unlocking or...

I would be grateful if you help me.
Thanks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you don't have it yet, then you don't have a "yakju"/"takju" firmware version. You instead have a "yakju**" model, which is updated by Samsung instead of Google directly. You will get the update eventually, but it'll be quite a long time before that happens given how slowly Samsung as been pushing updates in the past to these models.

In order to get 4.1 and updates quickly from here on out, you should convert your phone to "takju". The process will completely wipe your device. But once you're done, your phone will be completely stock and not rooted or modified. You can keep it stock and you'll just receive OTAs from here on out.

I would not recommend using a toolkit. Its extremely easy (and safer) to do this manually via the command line (or Terminal in OSX).

Follow this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-return-your-gsm-nexus-stock-flash-takju.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1aziz

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I recommend using a toolkit, like WugFresh, especially for someone who doesn't know what they're doing exactly.

Walks you through the process step by step. You'll be a happy guy when it's all over.

1aziz

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reply.

As I told you, I'm completely new on Android, I've some questions.

1. Does it mean Rooting? I mean if I do what you said, my phone gets rooted?

2. Is that official? Or won't I get the Google supports anymore?

3. If I do it, and set up my telephone after doing this, I immediately get the official update of jelly bean on my screen. And my phone is still stock. Am I right?

By the way, thank you so much.. you paid attention.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for reply.

As I told you, I'm completely new on Android, I've some questions.

1. Does it mean Rooting? I mean if I do what you said, my phone gets rooted?

Nope. Rooting is completely different. When flashing stock images, you will not be rooted or modified in any way. You phone will remain 100% stock after flashing.

2. Is that official? Or won't I get the Google supports anymore?

Yes its 100% official. This is the actual documented way to restore to stock (flashing via fastboot) with Google's own files from their site. After flashing to takju, you will be 100% supported by Google's updates from this point out.

3. If I do it, and set up my telephone after doing this, I immediately get the official update of jelly bean on my screen. And my phone is still stock. Am I right?

"Immediately" is a bit much, but yes upon setting up your phone you'll quickly be notified of the update. Your phone will remain stock. This is an official OTA direct from Google.

By the way, thank you so much.. you paid attention.

No problem. I understand why you may be cautious or worried. Don't be, just follow the guide and take your time. You'll be better off for having learned how to do it and you'll be happy that your phone remains stock and is now updated by Google directly.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd also recommend reading up on what exactly rooting and flashing means and does to your phone, just so you aren't going into the process completely blind. It's not hard to understand if you just pay attention and want to learn - which you should.

1aziz

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys! I'm gonna trying! Now, I know my options and also possibilities. You helped me a lot.
I'll tell you the result! :)
Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang