Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Jelly Bean Bluetooth Voice Dialing is totally useless

FYI - I am experiencing, and some others are reporting, that while the recent Google Search update resolved the problem of no 3rd party dialer app access using Bluetooth, there is still a problem. After a reboot, the previous 'always' selection of the 3rd party app is lost, and has to be reestablished.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by GUHoya94 View Post
    NCGuy, Yes, I'm now going to try this. Do you recommend the Cyberon Voice Commander or the Cyberon Voice Speed Dial? Thanks for all your help on this one.
    The voice commander. If you have access to the international english version via a market outside the us vs. the us English version in the play store then you pick up the digit-dialing feature. That feature is disabled in the play store due to patent issues.

Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    FYI - I am experiencing, and some others are reporting, that while the recent Google Search update resolved the problem of no 3rd party dialer app access using Bluetooth, there is still a problem. After a reboot, the previous 'always' selection of the 3rd party app is lost, and has to be reestablished.
    We need to figure out why this is affecting some but apparently not all. I am one that is not having this problem. Lets compare configs to see if there is a pattern:

Galaxy Nexus gsm

stock 4.1.2 takju version JZ054K

Rooted

Google search 2.1.12.516912

NCGuy, Yes, I'm now going to try this. Do you recommend the Cyberon Voice Commander or the Cyberon Voice Speed Dial? Thanks for all your help on this one.
    I know you didn't ask my opinion, and I agree that Cyberon VC is pretty reliable, but is quite limited, feature-wise. If you are interested in a very much larger array of features, with excellent support, you might also consider trying out the free 30 day trial version of Eva, the Eva Intern app. That app has a bit higher learning curve, because of the array of features, and options available, but the dev has created a host of helpful videos, and is highly responsive to user issues. I purchased Cyberon, and then tried Eva, and after a couple of weeks of using it, I purchased the Eva version. The settings from the trial app are automatically picked up with the paid version.

Quote Originally Posted by ncguy View Post
    We need to figure out why this is affecting some but apparently not all. I am one that is not having this problem. Lets compare configs to see if there is a pattern:

Galaxy Nexus gsm

Rooted

Good Point.

My GN is CDMA on VZW
    stock, 4.1.1 Build JR003O
    Rooted
    Google Search 2.1.12.516912

- - - Updated - - -

Galaxy Nexus gsm

Rooted

Good Point. Mine has the problem.

My GN is CDMA on VZW
    Rooted

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

vicw926a4 -- What especially do you find so useful about Eva?

Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    Good Point.

My GN is CDMA on VZW
    Rooted

- - - Updated - - -

Good Point. Mine has the problem.

My GN is CDMA on VZW
    Rooted
    Could someone on stock either having the problem or not having the problem tell us if you are on 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. That may be the difference.

vicw926a4 -- What especially do you find so useful about Eva?
    There are too many for me to try to convey here, but there a number of features that I'm finding especially helpful:
    Confirmation on outbound calls
    The ability to create groups that will constitute the calling list, so that I can streamline the app searching, and improve accuracy.
    The creation and use of nicknames, such as "my daughter Mary", "my Wife", etc, to facilitate quick and reliable matches on calls, so that I can just say "Call my wife", or "Navigate to my daughter Mary's house"
    App awareness of location, so that I can command it to "Navigate to Walmart", and it will start the navigation to the nearest one, or I can command it to "navigate to Walmart in Abereen" as an alternative.
    Dial numbers directly by voice
    Integration with Tasker, so that I was able to create Tasks that will respond to verbal requests within Eva for Battery Level, Signal Strength
    Use of Google Voice for verbal text generation
    Reading of texts and/or emails that can be enabled or disabled verbally at any time
    Voice generation of emails, with the capability to create and specify groups such as "Kids", and good capability to verbally review the content sentence by sentence before sending.
    Word replacement capability, so that in the case where the Voice Recognizer can't properly decode a word, it will substitute the correct word for the incorrect one.
    Profile selection, either via the screen, or inputted verbally, such as "Car Mode", "Default", "Home",etc.
    Ability to verbally Send a copy of the app Log to mail, Evernote, file, etc.
    A wide array of options to fine tune the app behavior.
    Excellent Help info in the app, and a complete set of instructions on the dev website.
    A wide array of videos from the developer, and some other good ones by reviewers, which are very helpful in demonstrating app capabilities and usage.

Without really taking some time to go through all of the features, I'm sure I could name a dozen more, but this quicky list probably has most of my top hitters. If you are interested, consider that you have a full month's free use of the app before you have to make a decision, and using it is the best way to discover what it can do.

It's probably needless to say that I'm more than impressed with this set of apps. Actually there are four versions:
    1. Eva Intern (the free one month full capability trial version)
    2. Eva (the paid app with a female face)
    3. Evan (same, but with a male face)
    4. AVX (this is the more businesslike looking version)

In fact, all four are functionally identical, as far as I can tell. I think I already mentioned it, but if you switchover from the free version to one of the paid versions, all of your settings automatically incorporate into the new version. You just delete the free app and install the paid one.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Thanks for the recommendation, vicw926a4 . You've convinced me to give Eva a try. I'm always impressed with apps that people can rattle off a list of reasons they like them. It definitely encourages one to try.

Thanks for the recommendation, vicw926a4 . You've convinced me to give Eva a try. I'm always impressed with apps that people can rattle off a list of reasons they like them. It definitely encourages one to try.
    Great. I would really like to hear your impressions, after you get a chance to really check it out.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

vicw926a4 -- So I played with it for the last day and...as of right now I've uninstalled it. It took over my phone and I couldn't make it stop doing things only during certain times. Like at work or on my way home, fine....at 6am in the morning and after turning on gps and bluetooth after I turned them off, I was a tad annoyed. I may try again later but for right now it is more work & frustration than I have time for this week. However in fairness it does do a *lot* of things that could be cool but it really needs something like "don't operate at all during the hours of 10pm-8am" or something similar. And I will probably try it again later when I have more time as I even bought a voice (indirectly) for it.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Galaxy Nexus gsm

Rooted

I'm also seeing the issue of having to re-associate Cyberon each reboot.

I'm galaxy nexus cdma, Verizon variant
    Stock 4.1.1 JRO03O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Help! I am not at all technically savvy and I don' t even follow how you did this, but I can't voice dial from my blue tooth any more either now that i am on a new phone with JB and it's a real issue. Is there someway I could get directions on how to do what you have done? I would be so grateful for some help. Thanks a million.

Quote Originally Posted by dmferra View Post
    Help! I am not at all technically savvy and I don' t even follow how you did this, but I can't voice dial from my blue tooth any more either now that i am on a new phone with JB and it's a real issue. Is there someway I could get directions on how to do what you have done? I would be so grateful for some help. Thanks a million.
    I would suggest that you install and use this app.

I would suggest that you install and use this app.

Thanks so very much. I will go ahead and try this! Hands free dialing with BT is such a help. It also reduces the risk of dropping my phone when I am juggling a lot things and trying to take care of calls at the same time. Hope this app gets me "operational" again.

Now that Google search has been updated apparently the stock voice dialer is working once again over bluetooth.

Pros

It has verification.

Its pretty accurate for most but not all names

Cons

Verify doesn't give you the option to retry if it gets it wrong. You have to start over.

If you get it wrong it tells you. If you get it right it just starts dialing without acknowledging your "ok" confirmation to dial. So if you say "ok" you don't know whether it interpreted that as "ok" or "cancel" until possibility it dials the number that you wanted to cancel.

Its pretty accurate for most but not all names.

I don't know why it gets most names right but some simple names wrong. My current theory is that it can't handle more than 3 or 4 people with the same last name. Also it doesn't seem to recognize business names in your contacts.

I'm interested to hear others comments on this.

deleted dup

Default Re: Jelly Bean Bluetooth Voice Dialing

Jellybean voice dialing works almost perfect for me. The only complaint I have is like the previous poster. If it doesn't understand, it says, "I didn't get that" and hangs up. It should really give another opportunity to say a name - something like "would you like to try again or cancel." Not sure why this wasn't incorporated. It seems to be nothing more than common sense. Even my old droid incredible had this feature.

Galaxy Nexus CDMA Jellybean 4.2.1 AOSP.

Quote Originally Posted by demiller66 View Post
    Jellybean voice dialing works almost perfect for me. The only complaint I have is like the previous poster. If it doesn't understand, it says, "I didn't get that" and hangs up. It should really give another opportunity to say a name - something like "would you like to try again or cancel." Not sure why this wasn't incorporated. It seems to be nothing more than common sense. Even my old droid incredible had this feature.

Galaxy Nexus CDMA Jellybean 4.2.1 AOSP.
    I'm very surprised that it is working so well. Wonder why it is barely acceptable for me. Would you mind adding a contact with first name "Barbara" and tell me if it is then recognized? Maybe there is something else going on with mine.

Does anyone know how to get voice dialing over bluetooth in HTC One X. I have JB but when i press the voice dial icon on my car unit, it says no voice device found. 3rd party voice applications work on the phone but not with bluetooth.Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

I have the razr maxx - been two weeks with JB and two weeks of misery. Google recognizes nothing and calls folks I have not spoken to in a year. Aside from the rudeness of the lady screaming, 'Speak Now" - its really not a pleasant interface. It is currently unusable in the car by simply pressing the call button on my BT Sliver...the sliver actually worked fairly well...now to use it, I have to first connect via the phone itself. I did a full reset, no help. Instead of wasting more of my time, the IPhone is looking better and better. thanks, Google, for prodding me along. Unless there is a fix the common man can understand??? I have read the posts but not quite sure what my best course of action is. I am really not acerbic - just wanted to relay a sense of frustration!

I had spent my entire weekend trying to get the voice dialing to work on my HOX through my JVC car unit bluetooth voice dialing.Tried all applications.Most of them needed data connection.Had updated the google voice on the phone.Some of the 3rd party applications wanted google voice t be disabled so did that as well. Gave up after nothing worked. The car unit kept saying "no voice device".
    Finally, yesterday when i got into the car, decided to try, enable Google voice from Apps, paired the device and pressed the voice dial button on my car unit..Viola! it worked.The google mic came on the screen, prompted to say "call and the number", i randomly said a contact name and it found it in the phone and that too without any data connection.I am still surprised but the 3-4 contacts that i tested with, it seem to identify the contacts, ask for confirmation before dialing and was using my car's microphone to listen. I still dont know how all this happened but finally got HOX to voice dial over bluetooth!!

I agree with you ncguy. I tried a few names and it seems to identify them pretty well. I noticed that if you have 2 numbers with the same name, like a work and phone, it needs you to select it on thephone which is not so nice while driving. It seems to get the names right pretty well and i say that as Indian names are not really easy to pronounce..atleast for Google voice.

Quote Originally Posted by vijayendra16 View Post
    I agree with you ncguy. I tried a few names and it seems to identify them pretty well. I noticed that if you have 2 numbers with the same name, like a work and phone, it needs you to select it on thephone which is not so nice while driving. It seems to get the names right pretty well and i say that as Indian names are not really easy to pronounce..atleast for Google voice.
    Yes. Its getting much better but not quite there yet for my daily use. I've gone back to cyberon until at least the next update. I'll keep giving it a chance.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast