Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: Jelly Bean Bluetooth Voice Dialing is totally useless

Quote Originally Posted by ncguy View Post
    Yes. Its getting much better but not quite there yet for my daily use. I've gone back to cyberon until at least the next update. I'll keep giving it a chance.
    I've found that the best way to insure accurate detection of names is to take advantage that Voice Control includes Nicknames in its search, which Cyberon doesn't. For frequently called names, I use nicknames such as "my daughter Mary", "my wife", etc. Works like a champ.

I also dearly value the Battery Level command, in Voice Control which tells me the current phone battery percentage, and if it is on the charger

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by vicw926a4; 01-15-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    pontiac005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    I've found that the best way to insure accurate detection of names is to take advantage that Voice Dialing includes Nicknames in its search, which Cyberon doesn't.
    Actually cyberon does have the tag names feature. I never had any reason to test it until I read your message and I am currently having some issues getting it to work as documented. I have a message into them for some help on it.

I've found that the best way to insure accurate detection of names is to take advantage that Voice Dialing includes Nicknames in its search, which Cyberon doesn't.
    Confirmed. Voice tags exists in cyberon and work just fine.

Edit: I don't think google nicknames are possible unless your contacts are stored in gmail. I understand that's probably the most common case. I use touchdown for exchange and I don't think nicknames are supported.
    Last edited by ncguy; 01-14-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Confirmed. Voice tags exists in cyberon and work just fine.

Edit: I don't think google nicknames are possible unless your contacts are stored in gmail. I understand that's probably the most common case. I use touchdown for exchange and I don't think nicknames are supported.
    I'm using gmail contacts synced with Outlook via Companionlink. The Nickname field is supported in each, and I'm having no issues sustaining them.

Sounds like the Voice Tags in Cyberon must have been added since I quit using it, but I'm glad to know that option is available for its users. I have no reason to go back to it, as I'm very happy with Voice Control and its more ample feature set.

Sounds like the Voice Tags in Cyberon must have been added since I quit using it, but I'm glad to know that option is available for its users. I have no reason to go back to it, as I'm very happy with Voice Control and its more ample feature set.

More ample feature set?

More ample feature set?
    I think so, at least compared to the last time I used Cyberon. I'll just list the Voice input commands/features/capabilities in Voice Control, and you can tell us how it stacks up against Cyberon. Last time I used Cyberon, its Commands were limited, but perhaps it has been expanded.

I've tried most, but not all of the listed Commands in Voice Control. The only one I've tried that doesn't completely work is the Signal Level command, which works fine for 3g, but doesn't properly report for 4g/LTE signal levels (on 4g/LTE, it always reports No Signal). Luka apparently has no LTE available for him in Italy to resolve that one.

STANDARD ACTIONS:
    Add Note to Evernote
    Add an Alarm
    Add an event
    Battery Level, includes whether it is on the charger
    Call
    Close Navigator
    Compose (Dial) a number
    Listen to
    Lost Calls
    Navigate to
    Send a Message (Text)
    Send an email
    Signal Level
    Start (Launch) application
    Tasker , execute Tasker task
    Unread Messages
    What Time is it?

SPECIAL ACTIONS:
    Back
    Confirm
    Help
    Multiple result choice
    Quit
    Repeat

I know this is a bit of a Ford vs. Chevy discussion. Both apps are useful, and we each have homed in on the one we like the best, and find the most useful and reliable. I don't expect we will convince each other to switch, but perhaps this discussion might help inform potential new users, and they can compare for themselves.

Performance may vary with configuration. I"m using Voice Control on a VZW Galaxy Nexus, on Android JB 4.2.1 MMuzzy ROM with SVOX Classic TTS, and a Motorola Roadster 2.

Cheers

Last edited by vicw926a4; 01-16-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    Thanked by:
    ncguy 

No, voice control apparently does do a lot more than cyberon. While cyberon will launch apps and tell the time it is primarily for voice dialing. I'll check out voice control sometime. In the meantime cyberon remains my daily driver because it is just so good at bluetooth voice dialing. Google has tortured voice dialing so much in the last 6 months or so that I'm just really happy to have something that works reliably again. Thanks for the info on voice control. Sounds like you also have a winner.

I thought the whole point of an update was to fix things that were broken and to make things better. But maybe I have it backwards. The phone dialer on my HTC One X fresh out of the box worked great with my blue tooth device. But since the update to Jelly Bean it stinks. I would Really REALLY like to go back to the original dialer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBaker View Post
    I thought the whole point of an update was to fix things that were broken and to make things better. But maybe I have it backwards. The phone dialer on my HTC One X fresh out of the box worked great with my blue tooth device. But since the update to Jelly Bean it stinks. I would Really REALLY like to go back to the original dialer.
    Disabling google search in apps, all apps, may be all you need to do. You will lose the use of google now while its disabled and a few other things but you can easily re-enable it if you just want to try that as a solution. That used to make it revert to the original dialer and it probably still works. I used that method until I got the use of cyberon back and it was worth the tradeoff.

My problem is a little different and I am hopping that someone has come up with a solution to this. My Bluetooth headset worked just fine before the JB update but after the update when I push the button on my headset the phone voice goes through the phone speaker and not the headset. After the call is connected then the audio goes through the headset.

Has anyone else has this problem? I was wondering if I got a different headset if that would fix it but I don't want to get another headset if that won't fix the problem. I have an HTC One X phone. With JB 4.1.1

Hi everyone. Yesterday I got and update to Google Search and after this update my bluetooth voice dialing started working again. So if your still having problems check in Google Play for the "Google Search" update.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234