Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 6.1.2

Default Re: Which is the best pre-paid service for the Nexus?

I had the 30/month Tmobile Monthly 4G plan. It's great and does everything I want it to. I always went over my 100 minutes a month, but never over 200. My bill was more like $38/month, but still far cheaper than any post paid plan.

I'm now on Straight Talk, mostly for experimental reasons. I wanted to see if the coverage is better if I use AT&T mvno settings, and so far it's the same as Tmobile. I still have my Tmo sim card and may go back in a month or two.

Just my opinion, but I think LTE is just a huge marketing campaign for carriers. I'm a power user with my phone and HSPA+ is plenty of bandwidth for me 99% of the time. I won't deny LTE is faster and superior, I just don't feel the need for it for me personally at the moment. I wouldn't let this affect your decision to move to prepaid.
    10:15 philnickinson: Thanks, everybody. You all kick serious ***.

Follow me on Twitter!
    Jonneh likes this.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorianGuard View Post
    Sorry but how can you call 2 or 5 gig data caps for unlimited. Its either unlimited and with a fair use clause, or its limited and you get a certain amount before you are charged extra or capped.
    After 2gb or 5gb you get unlimited 2g data.

Remember 1999? Lol.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Right now I'm on at&t with no contract

-$60 700min shared plan that includes unlimited calling to any cell phone
    -$30 Family text
    -$10 unlimited data for non smartphones x2 ( at&t doesn't know its a smartphone unless you tell them)

So that $110 plus tax for unlimited data, and basically unlimited mins for 2 lines. My bill is actually 90.20 plus when I factor in my 18% discount

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I've got a question about the Straight Talk service. My parents live in an area that is just a bit at the low end of coverage for nearly all services. T-Mobile tells them if they went to a smart phone it would be able to switch over to their wi-fi network and make/receive phone calls.

Can Straight Talk do this too? Is it phone specific? Thinking of getting them the GNex. I just got one and LOVE it! (Good bye Blackberry<tear>)

Around most of town AT&T has the best coverage. So when you say you have to pick AT&T or T-Mobile towers are you really locked to that coverage? Why wouldn't Straight Talk just allow you to use both? Depending on coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHnATL View Post
    I've got a question about the Straight Talk service. My parents live in an area that is just a bit at the low end of coverage for nearly all services. T-Mobile tells them if they went to a smart phone it would be able to switch over to their wi-fi network and make/receive phone calls.

Can Straight Talk do this too? Is it phone specific? Thinking of getting them the GNex. I just got one and LOVE it! (Good bye Blackberry<tear>)

Around most of town AT&T has the best coverage. So when you say you have to pick AT&T or T-Mobile towers are you really locked to that coverage? Why wouldn't Straight Talk just allow you to use both? Depending on coverage.
    Because they run on different frequencies

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    I don't see any prepaid carrier offering LTE in the next 2-3 years. So don't worry about that lol
    Sprint is already allowing prepaids to get LTE. Ting, a sprint prepaid mvno, will get LTE this year. MetroPCS prepaid has LTE already.

Sprint opens up LTE network for new MVNOs | The Verge

Probably no LTE on verizon, at&t network in the next 2-3 years.

I anticipate going the pre-paid route when the successor to the GNex is released. I originally had my eye on 3 different MVNOs: Straight Talk, Red Pocket, and T-Mobile. I've ruled out Straight Talk because they seem far too draconian. Here's what I've found that stood out:

TERMINATION OF SERVICE: "Either party may terminate this Agreement (which will terminate the provision of Straight Talk service) at any time. Any unused service at the time of termination will not be refunded. Straight Talk may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if we cease to provide service in your area. We may interrupt or terminate your service without notice for any conduct that we believe violates this Agreement, if you behave in an abusive, derogatory or similarly unreasonable manner with any of our representatives, if we have reasonable cause to believe that you are using your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service for an unlawful purpose or in a way that may adversely affect our service, if you engage in any deceptive or unfair conduct with respect to your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service. Any provision of this Agreement which by its context is intended to apply after termination of the Agreement will survive termination, including, but not limited to, any restrictions on the use of Straight Talk phones."

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

The fact that they appear to limit what you can actually do with your "unlimited data," on top of the fact that they can cancel your account without notice, thereby causing you to lose your number, is enough to keep me away. I'd rather pay a little more with Red Pocket or T-Mobile and know exactly where I stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrid View Post
    ... I've ruled out Straight Talk because they seem far too draconian. Here's what I've found that stood out: ... The fact that they appear to limit what you can actually do with your "unlimited data," on top of the fact that they can cancel your account without notice, thereby causing you to lose your number, is enough to keep me away. I'd rather pay a little more with Red Pocket or T-Mobile and know exactly where I stand.

Just to expound a little more on what was pointed out above - from Straight Talk's Terms and Conditions page (see the link at the bottom of their home page):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.
    Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds for customers whose usage, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carriers network or Straight Talk or the Carriers ability to provide service to other customers; or (3) for any other reason in Straight Talks sole discretion. For detailed description of activities that could result in service interruption or termination, see paragraph 7 and the section entitled Straight Talk Features: Intended Use under the Mobile Web Services Section below.
    7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the devices native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

So, for those saying that there's no way for the carrier to detect that you're tethering to your Galaxy Nexus, and for those griping that Straight Talk won't say what their "limits" are, it's pretty clear that you shouldn't be surprised if you choose Straight Talk and get booted - they've made it pretty clear in their T&Cs that they don't want you banging away on their carriers' networks with higher call/data volumes than their "average" users, and they reserve the right to arbitrarily determine who's in violation and boot whoever they want for any reason.

TANSTAAFL

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I won't be a Straight Talk customer with my Google Galaxy Nexus.

GeneD likes this.

I anticipate going the pre-paid route when the successor to the GNex is released. I originally had my eye on 3 different MVNOs: Straight Talk, Red Pocket, and T-Mobile. I've ruled out Straight Talk because they seem far too draconian. Here's what I've found that stood out:

TERMINATION OF SERVICE: "Either party may terminate this Agreement (which will terminate the provision of Straight Talk service) at any time. Any unused service at the time of termination will not be refunded. Straight Talk may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if we cease to provide service in your area. We may interrupt or terminate your service without notice for any conduct that we believe violates this Agreement, if you behave in an abusive, derogatory or similarly unreasonable manner with any of our representatives, if we have reasonable cause to believe that you are using your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service for an unlawful purpose or in a way that may adversely affect our service, if you engage in any deceptive or unfair conduct with respect to your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service. Any provision of this Agreement which by its context is intended to apply after termination of the Agreement will survive termination, including, but not limited to, any restrictions on the use of Straight Talk phones."

The fact that they appear to limit what you can actually do with your "unlimited data," on top of the fact that they can cancel your account without notice, thereby causing you to lose your number, is enough to keep me away. I'd rather pay a little more with Red Pocket or T-Mobile and know exactly where I stand.
    Don't forget to check out h2o wireless and jolt mobile

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S WII on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

ROM
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

I was also thinking of switching off my Virgin Mobile plan and getting a GNex on T-Mobile (Wouldn't want straight talk after the amount of bad reviews I've heard, and few good ones. I use a lot of data, and I wouldn't like constantly being worried.)

My question is, would you have to use specially modified ROMs on a T-Mobile Prepaid Galaxy Nexus? Or could you just flash any GSM ROM and it would work fine.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMadarasz View Post

The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

Did I read that wrong? Did Straight Talk just tell me I'm not allowed to send MMS to people? Wtf? Or have a phone call to a mobile or landline "continuously"? lol.
    I don't know, the whole tethering thing and them not wanting their customers to abuse their towers or whatever makes sense to me and I'm fine with. The other stuff kind of turns me away though. I was thinking I'd go to Straight Talk for just $45 if I find out the T-Mobile $30 doesn't give me enough minutes for my usage. Now I'm not so sure.

I have had the GNex on the T-Mobile $30 for about a week now and so far it is solid. I am getting 4.2 or more down and 1.7 or so up. I am using GrooVe IP to make voip calls over wifi at home and office and have had no problems. On the T-Mobile network, GrooVe has worked well if I am in a good coverage area. I am using a Google Voice number for all calls so that I can switch carriers if I want a change. T-Mobile has a good free app that lets you track your usage. My wife is on the Simple Mobile $40 plan since she does not care much about fast data. It is much easier than trying to manage wifi connections and GrooVe.

We just switched off Sprint postpaid. I considered going with one of the MVNOs on the Sprint network, but I wanted a phone that was not tied to a network.

When I got my niece the GNex we went to T-Mobile and got the $50 unlimited service.......seems like a good deal and no complaints

I can't wait for my AT&T contract to be up.....family plan, paying $30 a month just for unlimited texting......for work my wife easily texts 2/3 thousand times a month so I am wary of dumping that feature and convincing her that pre-paid is an option.

[B]if you behave in an abusive, derogatory or similarly unreasonable manner with any of our representatives,
    I must say that I like this part.....lol
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Jonneh likes this.

2) $60 unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and "unlimited" (2GB) data.
    Thats half what I pay Verizon for unlimited minutes and data but I won't use over 2GB of data anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzdroid View Post
    Sprint is already allowing prepaids to get LTE. Ting, a sprint prepaid mvno, will get LTE this year. MetroPCS prepaid has LTE already.

Sprint opens up LTE network for new MVNOs | The Verge

Probably no LTE on verizon, at&t network in the next 2-3 years.
    Sprint is a very long way from getting usable coverage of LTE. If you happen to be one of the lucky few with it in your city it may be OK. Meanwhile you pay $10 extra per month for something you aren't getting.

That is a ridiculous amount to pay for texting. Almost pure profit for AT&T. They don't even use the main channel for texts because the control channels can handle the tiny bandwidth impact. They just know people want texting and they shaft you to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by con5150 View Post
    When I got my niece the GNex we went to T-Mobile and got the $50 unlimited service.......seems like a good deal and no complaints

I can't wait for my AT&T contract to be up.....family plan, paying $30 a month just for unlimited texting......for work my wife easily texts 2/3 thousand times a month so I am wary of dumping that feature and convincing her that pre-paid is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by jonneh View Post
    Did I read that wrong? Did Straight Talk just tell me I'm not allowed to send MMS to people? Wtf? Or have a phone call to a mobile or landline "continuously"? lol.
    I don't know, the whole tethering thing and them not wanting their customers to abuse their towers or whatever makes sense to me and I'm fine with. The other stuff kind of turns me away though. I was thinking I'd go to Straight Talk for just $45 if I find out the T-Mobile $30 doesn't give me enough minutes for my usage. Now I'm not so sure.
    I believe it said that automated picture messaging isn't allowed. That would be setting up some system that automatically sent MMS to numbers (like spamming MMS). I think they would be much clearer if they didn't want anyone sending *any* MMS's.
    Thanked by:
    Jonneh 

Is there a benefit to the pre-paid when T-Mobile's value plan for 2GB is $45 and 5GB is $60? With fall-back to 3G?
    vor

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bigxie

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite.ac View Post
    Is there a benefit to the pre-paid when T-Mobile's value plan for 2GB is $45 and 5GB is $60? With fall-back to 3G?
    No 2 year contract ETF ($200 on Value plans), no added taxes, ability to buy prepaid cards at a small discount (3-5%), but Value plan would get you Roaming...
    Moto X Stock on Tmo
    Xoom [ROM] Omnirom 4.4.2

Razr HD Maxx Galaxy Nexus GSM Droid X

I'm a supporter of the value plans. I know you have to sign a contract, but if it fits your needs you aren't ever finding a better price. Especially considering that you can stil use a corporate discount. For my wife and me on the 1000 minute family plan, with 200mb for her and 2Gb for me, it equates out to 63.73 a month before taxes.

I never have to worry about minutes, text, or data. I've got the added advantage of being a contract customer (better customer service), and I can still change my phone whenever I want without having to go through T-Mobile. I don't know if I'll ever want to change.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite.ac View Post
    Value Plans have a 2-year contract. I do think they're a good deal and a good option for those who need family plans and want to cut costs, but for individuals I'd definitely recommend a Monthly 4G plan.

And what do mean fall back to 3G? You have the same speeds and get throttled down to 2G on all of T-Mobile's plans as I understand it.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

Value Plans have a 2-year contract. I do think they're a good deal and a good option for those who need family plans and want to cut costs, but for individuals I'd definitely recommend a Monthly 4G plan.

And what do mean fall back to 3G? You have the same speeds and get throttled down to 2G on all of T-Mobile's plans as I understand it.
    You are technically right, but it's just the line of the Gs being blurred because of the 4G marketing hype and calling things 4G that aren't actually 4G. Plus, Tmobile's 2G is as fast as other network's 3G. Cough....SPRINT.... Excuse me.

ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

If t-mo service works for you, I'd say go for it. I tried it for a month without porting my number and I just didn't get any signal--couldn't even send sms. The 100 mins ($30. plan for new customers) wasn't a problem. I had to use wifi calling from inside the house; but, as has been mentioned, the charge for extra minutes is reasonable ($.10) on that plan so it could still undercut Straight Talk's price. I'm using ST now (AT&T on my Google Galaxy Nexus). I get enough signal inside to use messaging and even calls if I go near a window (metal roof). I moved from Sprint as our reception was getting very bad even before the roof. Today I finish a month. I recently unlocked my phone so I don't have an accurate data usage but know I went over 100MB some days when no wifi was available. On vacation from south Florida to western PA, I seemed to always have a phone signal and usually had my H+ signal. I don't stream video/audio/games but have tethered to Toshiba Thrive and iPad on occasion. My son streams audio on his ST account (same phone and AT&T) and has received no warning, but he does have wifi a lot at home and at school so his phone data usage is more limited than for some. I've no doubt that some people get warned. Just saying that approaching 2GB in a month didn't seem to be a problem. Maybe some markets are stricter. He's in Orlando (T-Mo worked great there, btw). Can't wait for our other two phones to get off Sprint contract. Straight Talk has been working for us.

Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    No 2 year contract ETF ($200 on Value plans), no added taxes, ability to buy prepaid cards at a small discount (3-5%), but Value plan would get you Roaming...
    Ah, interesting point. So if my usage is actually 200 min/month I can buy a card for an extra 100 min and add it to my account each month?

What if I use more than 5G of data, can I buy extra of that?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast