Which is the best pre-paid service for the Nexus?

Roberts3000

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
My wife has a galaxy Nexus with straight Talk. Had no problems and hspa+ speeds. Only had it for a month but so far so good.

I have a nexus s 4G on sprint and would like to just have 3G speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered moving your numbers to Google voice?

That way you can jump providers and not worry about them taking your phone number.

alc2077

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the $45 plan on ST for a couple of months using the SIM swap option with an android phone before they introduced the BYOP and never had any problems, I have to admit my data on the at&t HSPA newtwork topped at about 5mps up & 1.5 down. Not much of a talker so I recently switched over to the tmobile $30 5GB plan, my main reason for switching was #1 I didn't want to have to worry about my number being deactivated for excessive data usage which ST has not stated their official data cut-off mark & I've heard all kinds of stories from ST users. With tmo, the HSPA+ speeds are significantly faster( avg 9-15mps up & 3mps down) whenever you are within the tmo HSPA coverage which is typically within large cities but when I travel outside of these large cities you will be on EDGE & GPRS which is super slow & almost unusable for data.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but how can you call 2 or 5 gig data caps for unlimited. Its either unlimited and with a fair use clause, or its limited and you get a certain amount before you are charged extra or capped.

Unlimited access vs. unlimited/unthrottled speeds.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Slashdpc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the 30/month Tmobile Monthly 4G plan. It's great and does everything I want it to. I always went over my 100 minutes a month, but never over 200. My bill was more like $38/month, but still far cheaper than any post paid plan.

I'm now on Straight Talk, mostly for experimental reasons. I wanted to see if the coverage is better if I use AT&T mvno settings, and so far it's the same as Tmobile. I still have my Tmo sim card and may go back in a month or two.

Just my opinion, but I think LTE is just a huge marketing campaign for carriers. I'm a power user with my phone and HSPA+ is plenty of bandwidth for me 99% of the time. I won't deny LTE is faster and superior, I just don't feel the need for it for me personally at the moment. I wouldn't let this affect your decision to move to prepaid.

farrock02

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm on at&t with no contract

-$60 700min shared plan that includes unlimited calling to any cell phone
-$30 Family text
-$10 unlimited data for non smartphones x2 ( at&t doesn't know its a smartphone unless you tell them)

So that $110 plus tax for unlimited data, and basically unlimited mins for 2 lines. My bill is actually 90.20 plus when I factor in my 18% discount

RUSHnATL

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I've got a question about the Straight Talk service. My parents live in an area that is just a bit at the low end of coverage for nearly all services. T-Mobile tells them if they went to a smart phone it would be able to switch over to their wi-fi network and make/receive phone calls.

Can Straight Talk do this too? Is it phone specific? Thinking of getting them the GNex. I just got one and LOVE it! (Good bye Blackberry<tear>)

Around most of town AT&T has the best coverage. So when you say you have to pick AT&T or T-Mobile towers are you really locked to that coverage? Why wouldn't Straight Talk just allow you to use both? Depending on coverage.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got a question about the Straight Talk service. My parents live in an area that is just a bit at the low end of coverage for nearly all services. T-Mobile tells them if they went to a smart phone it would be able to switch over to their wi-fi network and make/receive phone calls.

Can Straight Talk do this too? Is it phone specific? Thinking of getting them the GNex. I just got one and LOVE it! (Good bye Blackberry<tear>)

Around most of town AT&T has the best coverage. So when you say you have to pick AT&T or T-Mobile towers are you really locked to that coverage? Why wouldn't Straight Talk just allow you to use both? Depending on coverage.

Because they run on different frequencies

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ardrid

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I anticipate going the pre-paid route when the successor to the GNex is released. I originally had my eye on 3 different MVNOs: Straight Talk, Red Pocket, and T-Mobile. I've ruled out Straight Talk because they seem far too draconian. Here's what I've found that stood out:

TERMINATION OF SERVICE: "Either party may terminate this Agreement (which will terminate the provision of Straight Talk service) at any time. Any unused service at the time of termination will not be refunded. Straight Talk may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if we cease to provide service in your area. We may interrupt or terminate your service without notice for any conduct that we believe violates this Agreement, if you behave in an abusive, derogatory or similarly unreasonable manner with any of our representatives, if we have reasonable cause to believe that you are using your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service for an unlawful purpose or in a way that may adversely affect our service, if you engage in any deceptive or unfair conduct with respect to your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service. Any provision of this Agreement which by its context is intended to apply after termination of the Agreement will survive termination, including, but not limited to, any restrictions on the use of Straight Talk phones."

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

The fact that they appear to limit what you can actually do with your "unlimited data," on top of the fact that they can cancel your account without notice, thereby causing you to lose your number, is enough to keep me away. I'd rather pay a little more with Red Pocket or T-Mobile and know exactly where I stand.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... I've ruled out Straight Talk because they seem far too draconian. Here's what I've found that stood out: ... The fact that they appear to limit what you can actually do with your "unlimited data," on top of the fact that they can cancel your account without notice, thereby causing you to lose your number, is enough to keep me away. I'd rather pay a little more with Red Pocket or T-Mobile and know exactly where I stand.

Just to expound a little more on what was pointed out above - from Straight Talk's Terms and Conditions page (see the link at the bottom of their home page):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.
Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds for customers whose usage, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier?s network or Straight Talk or the Carrier?s ability to provide service to other customers; or (3) for any other reason in Straight Talk?s sole discretion. For detailed description of activities that could result in service interruption or termination, see paragraph 7 and the section entitled ?Straight Talk Features: Intended Use? under the Mobile Web Services Section below.
7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device?s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

So, for those saying that there's no way for the carrier to detect that you're tethering to your Galaxy Nexus, and for those griping that Straight Talk won't say what their "limits" are, it's pretty clear that you shouldn't be surprised if you choose Straight Talk and get booted - they've made it pretty clear in their T&Cs that they don't want you banging away on their carriers' networks with higher call/data volumes than their "average" users, and they reserve the right to arbitrarily determine who's in violation and boot whoever they want for any reason.

TANSTAAFL

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I won't be a Straight Talk customer with my Google Galaxy Nexus.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I anticipate going the pre-paid route when the successor to the GNex is released. I originally had my eye on 3 different MVNOs: Straight Talk, Red Pocket, and T-Mobile. I've ruled out Straight Talk because they seem far too draconian. Here's what I've found that stood out:

TERMINATION OF SERVICE: "Either party may terminate this Agreement (which will terminate the provision of Straight Talk service) at any time. Any unused service at the time of termination will not be refunded. Straight Talk may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if we cease to provide service in your area. We may interrupt or terminate your service without notice for any conduct that we believe violates this Agreement, if you behave in an abusive, derogatory or similarly unreasonable manner with any of our representatives, if we have reasonable cause to believe that you are using your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service for an unlawful purpose or in a way that may adversely affect our service, if you engage in any deceptive or unfair conduct with respect to your Straight Talk phone and/or wireless service. Any provision of this Agreement which by its context is intended to apply after termination of the Agreement will survive termination, including, but not limited to, any restrictions on the use of Straight Talk phones."

The fact that they appear to limit what you can actually do with your "unlimited data," on top of the fact that they can cancel your account without notice, thereby causing you to lose your number, is enough to keep me away. I'd rather pay a little more with Red Pocket or T-Mobile and know exactly where I stand.

Don't forget to check out h2o wireless and jolt mobile

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S WII on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I was also thinking of switching off my Virgin Mobile plan and getting a GNex on T-Mobile (Wouldn't want straight talk after the amount of bad reviews I've heard, and few good ones. I use a lot of data, and I wouldn't like constantly being worried.)

My question is, would you have to use specially modified ROMs on a T-Mobile Prepaid Galaxy Nexus? Or could you just flash any GSM ROM and it would work fine.

Reactions: Encerspay45

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

Did I read that wrong? Did Straight Talk just tell me I'm not allowed to send MMS to people? Wtf? Or have a phone call to a mobile or landline "continuously"? lol.
I don't know, the whole tethering thing and them not wanting their customers to abuse their towers or whatever makes sense to me and I'm fine with. The other stuff kind of turns me away though. I was thinking I'd go to Straight Talk for just $45 if I find out the T-Mobile $30 doesn't give me enough minutes for my usage. Now I'm not so sure.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had the GNex on the T-Mobile $30 for about a week now and so far it is solid. I am getting 4.2 or more down and 1.7 or so up. I am using GrooVe IP to make voip calls over wifi at home and office and have had no problems. On the T-Mobile network, GrooVe has worked well if I am in a good coverage area. I am using a Google Voice number for all calls so that I can switch carriers if I want a change. T-Mobile has a good free app that lets you track your usage. My wife is on the Simple Mobile $40 plan since she does not care much about fast data. It is much easier than trying to manage wifi connections and GrooVe.

We just switched off Sprint postpaid. I considered going with one of the MVNOs on the Sprint network, but I wanted a phone that was not tied to a network.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
When I got my niece the GNex we went to T-Mobile and got the $50 unlimited service.......seems like a good deal and no complaints

I can't wait for my AT&T contract to be up.....family plan, paying $30 a month just for unlimited texting......for work my wife easily texts 2/3 thousand times a month so I am wary of dumping that feature and convincing her that pre-paid is an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL