Which is the best pre-paid service for the Nexus?

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is already allowing prepaids to get LTE. Ting, a sprint prepaid mvno, will get LTE this year. MetroPCS prepaid has LTE already.

Sprint opens up LTE network for new MVNOs | The Verge

Probably no LTE on verizon, at&t network in the next 2-3 years.

Sprint is a very long way from getting usable coverage of LTE. If you happen to be one of the lucky few with it in your city it may be OK. Meanwhile you pay $10 extra per month for something you aren't getting.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
That is a ridiculous amount to pay for texting. Almost pure profit for AT&T. They don't even use the main channel for texts because the control channels can handle the tiny bandwidth impact. They just know people want texting and they shaft you to get it.

When I got my niece the GNex we went to T-Mobile and got the $50 unlimited service.......seems like a good deal and no complaints

I can't wait for my AT&T contract to be up.....family plan, paying $30 a month just for unlimited texting......for work my wife easily texts 2/3 thousand times a month so I am wary of dumping that feature and convincing her that pre-paid is an option.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Did I read that wrong? Did Straight Talk just tell me I'm not allowed to send MMS to people? Wtf? Or have a phone call to a mobile or landline "continuously"? lol.
I don't know, the whole tethering thing and them not wanting their customers to abuse their towers or whatever makes sense to me and I'm fine with. The other stuff kind of turns me away though. I was thinking I'd go to Straight Talk for just $45 if I find out the T-Mobile $30 doesn't give me enough minutes for my usage. Now I'm not so sure.

I believe it said that automated picture messaging isn't allowed. That would be setting up some system that automatically sent MMS to numbers (like spamming MMS). I think they would be much clearer if they didn't want anyone sending *any* MMS's.

Reactions: Jonneh

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a benefit to the pre-paid when T-Mobile's value plan for 2GB is $45 and 5GB is $60? With fall-back to 3G?

No 2 year contract ETF ($200 on Value plans), no added taxes, ability to buy prepaid cards at a small discount (3-5%), but Value plan would get you Roaming...

zachavm

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a supporter of the value plans. I know you have to sign a contract, but if it fits your needs you aren't ever finding a better price. Especially considering that you can stil use a corporate discount. For my wife and me on the 1000 minute family plan, with 200mb for her and 2Gb for me, it equates out to 63.73 a month before taxes.

I never have to worry about minutes, text, or data. I've got the added advantage of being a contract customer (better customer service), and I can still change my phone whenever I want without having to go through T-Mobile. I don't know if I'll ever want to change.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a benefit to the pre-paid when T-Mobile's value plan for 2GB is $45 and 5GB is $60? With fall-back to 3G?

Value Plans have a 2-year contract. I do think they're a good deal and a good option for those who need family plans and want to cut costs, but for individuals I'd definitely recommend a Monthly 4G plan.

And what do mean fall back to 3G? You have the same speeds and get throttled down to 2G on all of T-Mobile's plans as I understand it.

Last edited:

zachavm

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Value Plans have a 2-year contract. I do think they're a good deal and a good option for those who need family plans and want to cut costs, but for individuals I'd definitely recommend a Monthly 4G plan.

And what do mean fall back to 3G? You have the same speeds and get throttled down to 2G on all of T-Mobile's plans as I understand it.

You are technically right, but it's just the line of the Gs being blurred because of the 4G marketing hype and calling things 4G that aren't actually 4G. Plus, Tmobile's 2G is as fast as other network's 3G. Cough....SPRINT.... Excuse me.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
If t-mo service works for you, I'd say go for it. I tried it for a month without porting my number and I just didn't get any signal--couldn't even send sms. The 100 mins ($30. plan for new customers) wasn't a problem. I had to use wifi calling from inside the house; but, as has been mentioned, the charge for extra minutes is reasonable ($.10) on that plan so it could still undercut Straight Talk's price. I'm using ST now (AT&T on my Google Galaxy Nexus). I get enough signal inside to use messaging and even calls if I go near a window (metal roof). I moved from Sprint as our reception was getting very bad even before the roof. Today I finish a month. I recently unlocked my phone so I don't have an accurate data usage but know I went over 100MB some days when no wifi was available. On vacation from south Florida to western PA, I seemed to always have a phone signal and usually had my H+ signal. I don't stream video/audio/games but have tethered to Toshiba Thrive and iPad on occasion. My son streams audio on his ST account (same phone and AT&T) and has received no warning, but he does have wifi a lot at home and at school so his phone data usage is more limited than for some. I've no doubt that some people get warned. Just saying that approaching 2GB in a month didn't seem to be a problem. Maybe some markets are stricter. He's in Orlando (T-Mo worked great there, btw). Can't wait for our other two phones to get off Sprint contract. Straight Talk has been working for us.

johnjohntc

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
No 2 year contract ETF ($200 on Value plans), no added taxes, ability to buy prepaid cards at a small discount (3-5%), but Value plan would get you Roaming...

Ah, interesting point. So if my usage is actually 200 min/month I can buy a card for an extra 100 min and add it to my account each month?

What if I use more than 5G of data, can I buy extra of that?

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Ah, interesting point. So if my usage is actually 200 min/month I can buy a card for an extra 100 min and add it to my account each month?

What if I use more than 5G of data, can I buy extra of that?

I have the 30.00 plan on Tmo. What I did was buy a 100.00 prepaid card then have it put toward my account. With that if I go over my 100 mins the take out the diff at .10 per minute. So if you are using say 200 per month that's an extra 10.00 charged to the account still cheaper then straight talk and you have the unlim txt and data. So long as you throw an extra card in there from time to time you should be fine.

As far as the 5GB limit I believe that after that you go down to 2G speeds. Someone else might have a better idea.

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Straight Talk with my Nexus. Luv the service and the speed. HSPA+
I don't try to cheat the system by using my cell data as my constant home internet access(I pay for home internet) so I have no issues with the TOS. :)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Money hungry? Ha um, are we supposed to be poverty hungry?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums

When u have ppl suing over stuff like this its a bit ridiculous. Seriously a lady gets 1 million suing McDonalds because her coffee cup isn't labeled that its hot? That's common sense. And that is lazy people finding any way out they can

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Neutril

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Mcdonalds serves ice coffee as well, so could have been their fault. I'm just saying don't hate on Straight talk, cuz they're just providing the common citizen reliable service providence they pay for. I mean contracts are just wretched. $115 for 4gb split between 2 people without unlimited calling? Well I don't call much, but I burn a gb a night scrolling Craigslist! Plus ST sells sims for smartphones? Really, my wallet just had a gasm cuz I've saved so much. But I do hate how customer service's employees can only say one sentence in English, "Welcome to Straight Talk." Then its all "Gihh bo tul giij pleashe wait one molment."

Reactions: Encerspay45

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Mcdonalds serves ice coffee as well, so could have been their fault. I'm just saying don't hate on Straight talk, cuz they're just providing the common citizen reliable service providence they pay for. I mean contracts are just wretched. $115 for 4gb split between 2 people without unlimited calling? Well I don't call much, but I burn a gb a night scrolling Craigslist! Plus ST sells sims for smartphones? Really, my wallet just had a gasm cuz I've saved so much. But I do hate how customer service's employees can only say one sentence in English, "Welcome to Straight Talk." Then its all "Gihh bo tul giij pleashe wait one molment."

I'm not dissing straight talk I have straight talk on my gnex. I'm just saying ppl complain that the unlimited isn't truly unlimited. If they want to complain then they can pay $$$ for all the GB they use simple as that. For $45 a month I can wait till I'm on wifi to download large apps and what not. Don't buy a kia and expect a Lexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Neutril

johnjohntc

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the 30.00 plan on Tmo. What I did was buy a 100.00 prepaid card then have it put toward my account. With that if I go over my 100 mins the take out the diff at .10 per minute. So if you are using say 200 per month that's an extra 10.00 charged to the account still cheaper then straight talk and you have the unlim txt and data. So long as you throw an extra card in there from time to time you should be fine.

As far as the 5GB limit I believe that after that you go down to 2G speeds. Someone else might have a better idea.

Oh interesting. I see the ability to pay for more minutes, but not more 4G data...

Last edited:

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
That is a ridiculous amount to pay for texting. Almost pure profit for AT&T. They don't even use the main channel for texts because the control channels can handle the tiny bandwidth impact. They just know people want texting and they shaft you to get it.

I am playing around here with Samsung's ChatOn app.......it uses data obviously....still, could I use that and get rid of my texting plan or would I end up paying AT&T for texts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae