Which is the best pre-paid service for the Nexus?

johnjohntc

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Both Sprint (if you have a good connection) and Verizon (if you're on LTE) unlimited plans do not get throttled based on "overuse".

Well, T-Mobile doesn't have that either. They throttle based on clear data limits that are disclosed when you sign up for the plan.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That simply depends on what you want. Its not easy doing side by side comparison since Sprint has unl data.....But for example if you want unl everything then with 1gb of data it'll be $90 but with Sprint its $110. Obviously you get more data but for $110 with Verizon you can have 4GB of high speed LTE with them.

Their cheapest smartphone plan(Without discount) is $80 a month while in comparison the Verizon one is $90 a month. Sprint you get only 450 mins while Verizon is unl but far less data.

Not to mention I remember watching the video where Dan Hesse was bragging how he wasn't charging his customers anymore money for the WiMax and then he went ahead and tacked on a charge for a big shiny 4.3" screen instead.

Was so happy to drop Sprint because of that personally. I got out due to a $2 ish extra bump in price and haven't gone back yet after about 8 years with them.

I would still go back if its the best carrier for me, but atm I been playing with prepaids and having fun doing it. Love the freedom and the coverage is hmm.....close to what I had with Sprint. Sprint voice was far better then what I receive atm but the 3G speeds on ST are VERY pleasant in comparison to what I had with Sprint which was worse then T-Mo 2G speeds.

PS - Not to mention I have what I consider to be the best smartphone on the market atm for a crazy good price and no carrier ties. :D

I agree, Sprint does have good voice coverage, but I would gladly trade a dropped call or two for decent data speeds.
When I go prepaid, it will definitely not be with Virgin, Boost, or any Sprint MNVO.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
how is t-mobile coverage in general?

I've had it about a month, haven't left the SoCal area, but so far I am getting as good if not slightly better coverage than I had on Verizon. I don't talk a lot so I don't have a lot of info on dropping calls a lot or anything.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
For me the 30$ T-Mobile has been great. 5Gb of ?4g" unlimited texting and 100 minutes. Can always go the grooveip or talkatone route if need more minutes

Reactions: slosh74

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You can also check out virgen mobile pre paid sevices, $55.00 a month for unlimited, text, data and calls.

Although it's a good deal, don't think it'll be in consideration for most people here, who would prefer to have the very high end unlocked devices that you can use on other GSM MVNO's. The problem with Virgin and Boost is that you're limited to their devices.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can also check out virgen mobile pre paid sevices, $55.00 a month for unlimited, text, data and calls.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I briefly considered them. I actually like their 300 minute plan for $35 since its a bit more practical then what T-Mos $30 plan is.

But that means I would have to drop the Nexus for an HTC One V.

I'll be watching them to see what devices they get in the future though. Would be awesome if they end up just doing a BYOD with Sprint phones. I don't see it happening though.

Michael Fix

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the information on various calling plans - my head is swimming with options and now I must decide as my new Nexus 4 just arrived.

Separately I can't help but comment on the post related the McDonald's "frivolous lawsuit". I highly folks seek out the documentary Hot Coffee if you want to learn an... alternate view plus educate yourself about how the justice system works in the US and pretty much throughout the world... $$$$

Mcdonalds serves ice coffee as well, so could have been their fault. I'm just saying don't hate on Straight talk, cuz they're just providing the common citizen reliable service providence they pay for. I mean contracts are just wretched. $115 for 4gb split between 2 people without unlimited calling? Well I don't call much, but I burn a gb a night scrolling Craigslist! Plus ST sells sims for smartphones? Really, my wallet just had a gasm cuz I've saved so much. But I do hate how customer service's employees can only say one sentence in English, "Welcome to Straight Talk." Then its all "Gihh bo tul giij pleashe wait one molment."

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

sconrad308

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm probably going to be buying a Galaxy Nexus (GSM) and going back to Straight Talk at the end of the month. I was with them for over a year with one of their smartphones and then with a Windows Phone that I brought over. The coverage was great, AT&T, and never had any issues with them sending me nasty emails or calls about my data usage. I would stream some content but not a ton because I didn't need to, that is what I have laptops for.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you can try Tmobile's new prepaid service GoSmart Mobile. See if you qualify because they are in their "testing" stage and your area may or may not be supported, just go to https://www.gosmartmobile.com/ insert your zipcode and if it goes through you're qualified. They offer Unlimited voice and text and 5gb of high speed data 3G and throttled to 2G after 5GB of usage. For about $45. And for $35 its unlimited everything but the data will be in 2G. I know you might not like the sound of 3G but apparently most places have been refarmed to get like HSPA+ speed. This is just my suggestion.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you can try Tmobile's new prepaid service GoSmart Mobile. See if you qualify because they are in their "testing" stage and your area may or may not be supported, just go to https://www.gosmartmobile.com/ insert your zipcode and if it goes through you're qualified. They offer Unlimited voice and text and 5gb of high speed data 3G and throttled to 2G after 5GB of usage. For about $45. And for $35 its unlimited everything but the data will be in 2G. I know you might not like the sound of 3G but apparently most places have been refarmed to get like HSPA+ speed. This is just my suggestion.

GoSmart is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile's network (they're not directly affiliated). Simple Mobile and Solavei would be other examples... $45/mo for unlimited talk/text plus 5GB of high-speed data sounds very enticing, though. That's the same as what Solavei offers, without the one-time "membership" fee.

T-Mobile has their own prepaid service, branded Monthly4G. I'm still using it, mostly for the convenience of being able to buy refill cards just about anywhere when my checking account is in a pinch.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
GoSmart is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile's network (they're not directly affiliated). Simple Mobile and Solavei would be other examples... $45/mo for unlimited talk/text plus 5GB of high-speed data sounds very enticing, though. That's the same as what Solavei offers, without the one-time "membership" fee.

T-Mobile has their own prepaid service, branded Monthly4G. I'm still using it, mostly for the convenience of being able to buy refill cards just about anywhere when my checking account is in a pinch.

Actually, GoSmart mobile IS affiliated with Tmobile. Tmobile USA is running it, and not a third party.
T-Mobile will soon launch a new prepaid brand, GoSmart Mobile, which we?re hearing will target the same market Sprint aims for with its Boost Mobile franchise. So it?s not an MVNO in traditional sense, since GoSmart will be operated by T-Mobile USA, rather than some third party that simply licenses network from an operator.

I have Tmobile's Monthly4G as well.

Source: T-Mobile launching new prepaid brand - GoSmart Mobile

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, GoSmart mobile IS affiliated with Tmobile. Tmobile USA is running it, and not a third party.

Interesting... Makes me kind of wonder why they'd launch a second prepaid brand... I mean, I know Sprint has two separate brands (Virgin and Boost), but I'm not sure where I see the point in this case...

The way Monthly4G is currently set up, the $50 plan gives you unlimited voice/text and 200MB of high speed data per month. For $5 less on GoSmart, you're getting all of the above, plus 5GB of high-speed data. It appears that GoSmart only offers one device (not even a real smartphone) and aside from that, they advocate BYOD.

Which stands to question: does one pay $45 for unlimited voice/text plus 5GB of high-speed (GoSmart), or $70 for unlimited everything with no data throttle (Monthly 4G)? I've been chewing through a lot more data as of late with my $60 Monthly4G plan (2GB high-speed) due to ditching crappy satellite radio for Spotify, but I'm not quite sure if I'd need more than 5GB of data.

So, besides the $70/month all-you-can-eat plan with Monthly4G, it seems that the only other benefit to STAYING with Monthly4G is for those who want a larger selection of handsets to choose from.

Last edited:

RoccOn16v

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Tmo monthly 4g @ $30 a month. I just bought an ObiHai for home phone to stay under 100 minutes. Frankly unless I'm going to or from class, I NEVER use minutes now. Once I get home, phone calls are free through the obi and a cordless phone, and best of all it rings when my cell rings since I use GV all of the time. $38 for unlimited minutes at home, check it out ObiHai100 at Amazon for $38

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Interesting... Makes me kind of wonder why they'd launch a second prepaid brand... I mean, I know Sprint has two separate brands (Virgin and Boost), but I'm not sure where I see the point in this case...

The way Monthly4G is currently set up, the $50 plan gives you unlimited voice/text and 200MB of high speed data per month. For $5 less on GoSmart, you're getting all of the above, plus 5GB of high-speed data. It appears that GoSmart only offers one device (not even a real smartphone) and aside from that, they advocate BYOD.

Which stands to question: does one pay $45 for unlimited voice/text plus 5GB of high-speed (GoSmart), or $70 for unlimited everything with no data throttle (Monthly 4G)? I've been chewing through a lot more data as of late with my $60 Monthly4G plan (2GB high-speed) due to ditching crappy satellite radio for Spotify, but I'm not quite sure if I'd need more than 5GB of data.

So, besides the $70/month all-you-can-eat plan with Monthly4G, it seems that the only other benefit to STAYING with Monthly4G is for those who want a larger selection of handsets to choose from.

They most likely made a 2nd one to make some cash on old resources (3G), the monthly4G is with the 4G, and soon the main data will be LTE.

Oh and also, how many minutes do you use on average per month? If it's less than 100 get the monthly4G $30 100 minutes, unlimited text & data (up to 5Gb of 4G). If it's a lot over then Try the GoSmart $45 plan. If you don't like it or you're not satisfied with the speed of the 3G then simply switch back.

Last edited:

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
They most likely made a 2nd one to make some cash on old resources (3G), the monthly4G is with the 4G, and soon the main data will be LTE.

Oh and also, how many minutes do you use on average per month? If it's less than 100 get the monthly4G $30 100 minutes, unlimited text & data (up to 5Gb of 4G). If it's a lot over then Try the GoSmart $45 plan. If you don't like it or you're not satisfied with the speed of the 3G then simply switch back.

I average 1000+ mins/mo (I talk to clients on the phone a lot). So, that pretty much eliminates the $30 Monthly4G plan for me. So, it would basically be between GoSmart's $45 plan and the $70 Monthly4G plan. I might try the GoSmart plan first and see how well 5GB of high-speed data works for me. Easy enough to jump around on an unlocked GSM phone. :)

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I average 1000+ mins/mo (I talk to clients on the phone a lot). So, that pretty much eliminates the $30 Monthly4G plan for me. So, it would basically be between GoSmart's $45 plan and the $70 Monthly4G plan. I might try the GoSmart plan first and see how well 5GB of high-speed data works for me. Easy enough to jump around on an unlocked GSM phone. :)

when you try it, let me know how fast their 3g is

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
when you try it, let me know how fast their 3g is

Yeah it took me a while to notice, but GoSmart advertises "high-speed" as 3G and the not the 4G (well, HSPA+) offered by Monthly4G. So if it's not HSPA+, it makes me wonder how fast it would really be. If it's anything like Sprint's 3G always was for me, I'd have to pass. :p

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This may be a bit off topic but if I bought a Verizon gnex and its unlocked what prepaid carrier choices do I have?? Thanks :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
This may be a bit off topic but if I bought a Verizon gnex and its unlocked what prepaid carrier choices do I have?? Thanks :)

Uhm, you have the choice of Verizon or throwing your phone into a river. Sorry to say.

Big Red isn't very open to phone manufacturers. That's why the Play Store doesn't sell a Nexus 4 for Verizon.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site

You might be able to get a Cricket dealer to flash it and activate it, but outside of that, you're pretty much stuck activating it on Verizon.