Disable specific calendar events from appearing in Google Now?

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So here's my situation...

I've got the Cincinnati Reds schedule in my Google Calendar.

Every day, about two hours before each games starts, I get a Google Now notification that it's "time to leave" for the ball game, because it is treating it as an appointment.

Love the feature for every thing else I have in my Calender, but I don't don't want a notification and driving directions to Great American Ballpark everyday - I go to one or two games a year!

Is there any way to disable notifications for specific Calender events? I have "no reminders" set in each Calender event, but Google Now doesn't seem to care about that.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a solution to your problem, although I'd like to know the answer to this too. However, I see you've got great tastes in sports teams (Go Big Blue along with ''and this one belongs to the Reds!''), so I figured I'd pop in. Hope you find a solution!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

superm1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Disable specific calendar events from appearing in Google Now

Perhaps could you set it as a calendar that doesn't sync to the tablet in Google Calendar? Then only look at it on the desktop calendar application ever.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps could you set it as a calendar that doesn't sync to the tablet in Google Calendar? Then only look at it on the desktop calendar application ever.

Meh, not really an option. I never look at the calendar on my desktop. The whole reason I set up Google Calender was to have it on my mobile.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I don't have a solution to your problem, although I'd like to know the answer to this too. However, I see you've got great tastes in sports teams (Go Big Blue along with ''and this one belongs to the Reds!''), so I figured I'd pop in. Hope you find a solution!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Go Cats! Go Reds! :D

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

asuddon

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Take the address/location out of the event :)

Edit: realized that location of the game may be important. Maybe make it slightly ambiguous so that Google doesn't attach an actual location. For example: "away" instead of "blank stadium"

Last edited:

Joet

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

Take it off your calendar. Google Now will have game info, scores on highlights appear as a card after a few searches. No need for it to be an appointment.

rap1

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

This could potentially be a problem for many users as more start using it. I keep in my calendar all the events for the family. I color code (or just know) which ones involve me. Some kid events mean I have to take them, some don't. I wouldn't want Google now popping up for every one. Need some sort of way to designate not to use it for a specific event.

Not having Google Now yet, does it pop up for all sync'd calendars or just your primary calendar? For example I sometimes display the school calendar along with mine because so many events I want to know about. Could you set up the games on a seperate calendar that you also display but Now doesn't notify you about. If there was a game that you are going to, you could add it to your personal calendar.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Take it off your calendar. Google Now will have game info, scores on highlights appear as a card after a few searches. No need for it to be an appointment.

Not really an option. I like having their full schedule on hand.

I enjoy having the Google Now Card too for today and tomorrow, but looking forward, I want their whole schedule.

This could potentially be a problem for many users as more start using it. I keep in my calendar all the events for the family. I color code (or just know) which ones involve me. Some kid events mean I have to take them, some don't. I wouldn't want Google now popping up for every one. Need some sort of way to designate not to use it for a specific event.

Not having Google Now yet, does it pop up for all sync'd calendars or just your primary calendar? For example I sometimes display the school calendar along with mine because so many events I want to know about. Could you set up the games on a seperate calendar that you also display but Now doesn't notify you about. If there was a game that you are going to, you could add it to your personal calendar.

It seems to be all of your synced calendars are piled into the Google Now appointment notifications.

Take the address/location out of the event :)

Edit: realized that location of the game may be important. Maybe make it slightly ambiguous so that Google doesn't attach an actual location. For example: "away" instead of "blank stadium"

This is a good idea. I'll try taking out the locations and see if that fixes the problem.

Now that the Reds are on the road, it's not telling me "it's time to leave for Houston," so I guess it is kind of smart to know I'm not going all the way there. ;)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Turn off the "next appointment" card in Google Now.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Turn off the "next appointment" card in Google Now.

But that would disable all my appointments from showing up, wouldn't it? I like having everything else in my calender pop up, just not the baseball schedule.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

mmckaibab

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree that the Next Appointment Card needs more customization options. I rely on Google Calendar for everything and use calendars for my client appointments, room schedules, kids appointments and on and on. However, I don't need or want to see many of these things popping up in Google Now's Next Appointment Card. They should add the option to select which calendars should feed the Next Appointment Card and which calendars should not.

Sizzle81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The " time to leave" notification comes up when you have a location set on your calendar appointments. If you don't want those notifications then leave the locations blank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

whitespace

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

It seems to be all of your synced calendars are piled into the Google Now appointment notifications.

Maybe this has changed in recent months, or maybe your setup is different, but Google Now appears to only show events from "My Calendars". All my "Other Calendars" (that are synced with Google Calendar on my phone and show in the Calendar App) do not show in Google Now.

I would have thought that the "Cincinnati Reds schedule" would have been one of your "Other Calendars"? Is it not?

My problem is actually the opposite... I have "Other Calendars" that I would like to show in Google Now - but they do not.

mjjp2k

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There is an app called Sports Calendar that will sync any team's schedule to your calendar. You just need to turn off the add locations to settings. Then when it imports the event it will be "Reds @ Astros"

That should stop the binging. Sports Calendar also auto updates for playoffs, and for each new season. Its a good app, been using it for years.

mjjp2k

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Its been driving me crazy also. I noticed that appointments with out a location do not get a reminder. So take out the locations. Here is what I just did:

1) Wiped out the full calendar (I used one for basically sports)
2) Uninstalled Sports Calendar App (Great app check it out)
3) Reinstalled the app
4) Before I set up any teams I turned off Add Location
5) Set teams and sync

Now the events will be called "Reds @ Astros." The card will still pop up in google now, but the reminder should be off.

rpankoe

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site

I also have this issue. I created Google Calendars for our staff's work schedule. We do our scheduling on a Google Calendar and the event name is just the person's name such as "J Doe" .. Now I have Google Now cards popping up with "J Doe" and "J Smith" at their work times, or whatever the person's name is. I want MY events to show, but not the calendar with everyone else's work schedule! There's got to be a way to exclude a calendar from appearing in Google Now. These don't have locations, yet they're showing. I have also hidden the calendar with the schedule in the Calendar app, yet they still show in Google Now.

whitespace

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

I created Google Calendars for our staff's work schedule. We do our scheduling on a Google Calendar and the event name is just the person's name such as "J Doe" .. Now I have Google Now cards popping up with "J Doe" and "J Smith" at their work times...

You have a separate calendar for each staff member? Are these calendars shared with the "Make changes..." permission or are they read-only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20