Simple Flash for Galaxy Nexus Yakjuxw to Yakju to get OTA 4.1.1

ockc

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I was running Yakjuxw 4.0.4(OTA comes from Samsung) on my GSM GNEX and couldn't wait for Samsung to push Jellybean anymore so I looked around and found this, it changes Yakjuxw(4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.0.4) to Yakju 4.0.1(OTA comes straight from Google).

Here are the steps I followed from rubiconjp's post and cleaned it up for everyone that was in my position. After the downloads, it took like less than 10min to get it on Yakju. It is super easy. No Rooting, No Custom ROMs.

Download the USB driver and firmware files to Windows.
Firmware
USB Driver
Run USB driver app in Windows, Reboot Windows
Run firmware app in Windows
Put phone in Download mode (Power off, Press Volume Down button + Power On button down until it goes to Download Mode, plug USB cable in)
Once the device is found in the firmware app, click start!

Let it finish and you are done.

When it starts back up you should setup your phone back up with all the Apps that you want before installing the OTAs. It's going to go from 4.0.2>4.0.4>4.1.1. From start to finish it took me 30-40min to get my phone back the way I want it. Good luck and enjoy. :D

Reactions: djspikey

ockc

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Simple Flash for Galaxy Nexus Yakjuxw to Yakju to get OTA 4.1

Just trying to help people out. I just looked at the link you posted and that is a lot of steps and very confusing. My way is very straight forward. I'm not trying to do anything but help. Sorry if you think I'm stepping on your toes.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Just trying to help people out. I just looked at the link you posted and that is a lot of steps and very confusing. My way is very straight forward. I'm not trying to do anything but help. Sorry if you think I'm stepping on your toes.

Well the problem is its very straight forward but it hides the mechanics of the flashing from the user. What happens when something goes wrong? Your phone is sitting in Fastboot mode (which you have no idea that's what it is) and you're back in a forum asking for help. If you learned in the first place what you were doing, not only would you less likely have an issue, but you'd also be able to fix it (start over) or at least be able to pinpoint where the problem happened when you asked for help.

I know that people mean well when they post one-click methods, but its really just a crutch that often gets people into trouble that they could've easily avoided. If you're interested in hacking and flashing your Nexus, you're gonna have to be familiar with a command line, that's kinda just how it is.

Reactions: GeneD and multo

mr.ven

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Well the problem is its very straight forward but it hides the mechanics of the flashing from the user. What happens when something goes wrong? Your phone is sitting in Fastboot mode (which you have no idea that's what it is) and you're back in a forum asking for help. If you learned in the first place what you were doing, not only would you less likely have an issue, but you'd also be able to fix it (start over) or at least be able to pinpoint where the problem happened when you asked for help.

I know that people mean well when they post one-click methods, but its really just a crutch that often gets people into trouble that they could've easily avoided. If you're interested in hacking and flashing your Nexus, you're gonna have to be familiar with a command line, that's kinda just how it is.

PMS?

anyway thnx for this guide.

Reactions: kallel_30

ockc

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Isn't the reason we buy a Android phone is that we have a choice? Why not let us choose how we update our phone and not look down on people that choose to do it the easy way?

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

blackbubu

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

Yes, very simple this method. It doesn't work...
Hope I didn't bricked my phone.

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, very simple this method. It doesn't work...
Hope I didn't bricked my phone.

What did you try to do? If you post the point where you are stuck at, I am sure people here can help. If a phone boots up and shows at least something on the screen, it is not bricked and can be fixed.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

While I completely agree with what you're saying, it doesn't take into account somewhat seasoned users (like myself) who know what we're doing when it comes to fastboot and adb but sometimes choose to use the toolkit as a faster, easier way to do something simple. Right now I'm running rooted stock, but tomorrow I may decide to try a new ROM. A few days after that I may decide that I like the rooted stock better, but instead of going through the longer motions of using adb and fastboot, I can just connect my phone, fire up the toolkit, and in a few minutes, I'm right back to where I want to be.

Is using fastboot and adb hard? No. And its a great learning experience. But for little things, I see no problem with using a toolkit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kgh00007

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot, this is the method I used and it's super easy and quick, I'm glad you posted this, cheers!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm for the 1 click method as trying to do it manually was nothing but a PITA for me getting the fastboot drivers to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki