Slow data speeds on Straight talk

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be getting slow data speeds on my unlocked nexus through straight talk. I ordered the nexus through the play store and the unlocked sim from straight talk which is an AT&T sim. My friend sitting next to me with a gs2 can pull about 3-5 mbps down and about 1.5mbps up. My speed test show I only get 500kbps down and about 800kpbs up

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

welzie

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have also been getting slow data speeds on my nexus. Incredibly slow .01 mbps(mega bit) download. 1mpbs upload. I have tried it multiple times over the past two weeks. I have tried it in different zip codes. Same result. I have called straight talk and checked the APN settings. No luck. They didn't offer any help beyond that.

I will sell my galaxy nexus and then get one from verizon for "free" with a two year contract. I was on at&t and that worked fine, but moving to straight talk was a major disappointment. Luckily I have carrier options. Too bad straight talk didn't work out. I'll happily hand over more money for a working data plan.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have also been getting slow data speeds on my nexus. Incredibly slow .01 mbps(mega bit) download. 1mpbs upload. I have tried it multiple times over the past two weeks. I have tried it in different zip codes. Same result. I have called straight talk and checked the APN settings. No luck. They didn't offer any help beyond that.

I will sell my galaxy nexus and then get one from verizon for "free" with a two year contract. I was on at&t and that worked fine, but moving to straight talk was a major disappointment. Luckily I have carrier options. Too bad straight talk didn't work out. I'll happily hand over more money for a working data plan.

are you using the T-Mo or ATT Sim? Straight Talk is just an MVNO so your data strength is contingent on service provider--coupled with signal strength obviously.

you could try switching to the other carrier, under Straight Talk, for your area to test its strength before jumping back into a contract.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
are you using the T-Mo or ATT Sim? Straight Talk is just an MVNO so your data strength is contingent on service provider--coupled with signal strength obviously.

you could try switching to the other carrier, under Straight Talk, for your area to test its strength before jumping back into a contract.

Ya for me I'm getting about the same download speed I was getting with Verizon and a better upload. I just figured since I saw what my friend was getting that I would be about the same. My internet seems like things load faster though so I'm happy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just putting it out there buy I was throttled last month and had to work with their Facebook support team to get it unthrottled. I was getting 1.5 to 3mb then throttled down to like 150k.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BDaddy68

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I too am getting abysmal data speeds through ST on AT&T sim. I've just recently enabled this service, thus I cannot be throttled yet. I've been running various tests w/ speedtest around home, town, work, etc and am getting fairly consistent speeds in the .20 - .34 dl and .54 - .58 ul.
Yesterday I purchased a T-mobile sim to try the Montly4G $30 plan and am getting roughly 2.4 - 2.9 dl and 1.5 - 2.3 ul. Better but not great.
I'm in Scottsdale (Phoenix) Arizona.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I was throttled in my first month of use on ST because I was "pushing the limits" as an experiment. I was pulling 5mb down and then it went to 150k the next day.

ST denied anything to do with it. I let my contract auto refill and I still had issues and the same slow speed. I talked to ST many times and they claimed that everything should be fine.

BTW, this was all on an unlocked Note.

Enter the Nexus. So I got a Nexus and a new sim. I was getting 2.5-3mb speeds. I swapped cards from the Nexus to the Note and the Note still had crud speeds. What the heck? The Nexus had decent speed.

I did a hard reset on the Note and on the original sim and plan I had, it went back to great speeds. Well, 2.5-3.0mb which isn't auper fast but WAY better than 150k.

All this time I was bashing ST and perhaps the problem wasn't their fault after all.