Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Talkback mode

I turned on talkback mode by mistake (while enabling light flow). I'm having trouble navigating, I cant scroll to the accessibility option. How can I turn this off?

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Never mind I figured it out. Lol

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: Talkback mode

i cant shut it off, how did u do it,,lol i cant scroll anywhere to even get to settings to shut it off. its in deep blind mode,,help

I have done this as well! Anyone know what the solution is? I cannot get to any options that will allow me to turn this off.
    Thanked by:

OK I figured it out. To scroll through the menus with talkback on, double tap and scroll with two fingers. Took a bit to get it right, but its finally gone!!

Thanks ..this was a nightmare..i could get to settings by double tapping.. but was not able to scroll down to turn the dam think off....went to Samsung on line chat..no help at all...

it took me 2 hours to turn of the talkback
    remove that sh.it
    Jackson MG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan tadic View Post
    it took me 2 hours to turn of the talkback
    remove that sh.it
    im having the same problem and am freaking out cuz cannot get back to settings to turn it off....can someone more clearly explain - i cant even get apps to close when theyre accidentally tapped by trying to do the above steps. Someone just turned on the talkback function to see what it was like and now i cant turn it off and am panicking because i have no access to any other phones, and dont have any where to go (theres no android store and no carrier store for me)

This is by far the worst and most useless feature. Once on you can't scroll pages, you can't use pattern locks, you can't pull down the notification bar. This was clearly meant to be used with another interface that we didn't get as people with other phones seem to have no problem with it. I have my settings app on the home screen but try getting to it in the app drawer to turn the "feature" off.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Angry Re: Talkback mode

I don't understand how this feature can help blind and disabled. has anyone tested with them when they added this option?
    when normal people can't even figure it out on how to navigate between screens.
    scrolling is the worse you basically have to push the screen with 2 fingers apart and while holding it move your fingers up or down sort of like pulling the screen.
    double tapping is a pain too have to remember that you need to tap ones to select only then a quick double tap will open the icon.
    Thanked by:
    gnr_2 and akrasch like this.

Thank you so much. What a nightmare to get it off. I thought for sure I was going for a factory reset!
    gnr_2 likes this.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Wow, thankfully I had access to a PC when accidentally turning this on. What a useless feature.

U r a lifesaver!!!!

OMG!! Thank you so much, was ready to throw the phone out the window.

Thank you! Saved me from wasting my whole day, breaking phone by prying cover off to remove battery to try to reset, etc, etc. How to disable is top secret, apparently.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Remember, also, that certain apps on certain phones can collide, and can cause this symptom. , for example, when running on several different models of Samsung Galaxy-family phones which are running an Android OS version at or higher than 4.x, works perfectly unless you ask it to actively intercept "push" ads in real time. In order to do that, it must turn-on the phone's "Accessibility" feature...

...not the "TalkBack" feature within Accessibility, mind you, but just Accessibility, itself; the "TalkBack" feature can remain turned-off for this app.

That's all the app does that's mildly unusual; and it only needs to do it if you opt to have it constantly monitor your phone and block "push" ads... which is a very, very cool feature. In fact, this app is just so cool, it's not even funny. Every phone owner should have it, in addition to a good anti-virus app. And remember that the feature of this app which intercepts "push" ads needn't be turned-on for this app to be useful. In fact, intercepting "push" ads, live and in real time, is only a new feature. Everything else it does, it's been doing for a long time, and, trust me, it's enough. This app is amazing!

On most phones, it works just fine. However, sadly, we who have certain models of Samsung Galaxy-family phones may simply not use the feature where the app blocks "push" ads in real time, because there's an oddity in the Samsung version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and higher which causes the entire phone's "TalkBack" to be turned-on, even though it's only "Accessibility" that the app needs. The dev has tried everything, and no matter what he does, "TalkBack" just won't stop talking to the user of certain Android-4.x-and-higher Samsung Galaxy-family phones if the active "push" ads blocking feature of this app is turned on. That feature of that app -- and ONLY that one feature -- is simply incompatible with certain Samsung Galaxy-family phones running Android 4.x and higher. And that's just the long-and-short of it.

I was reminded of it when I got a new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean phone, and ran the app, and turned-on the active "push" ad blocking, as I had done on my previous Android 2.3 Ginger Bread phone; and suddenly the darned thing started talking to me; everything I did, it told me I was doing. I wanted to throw the phone to the floor; and no matter how many times I turned-off "TalkBack" it just came back on on reboot...

...that is, until I started asking myself what apps I've most recently installed, and then I kinda' went through them in my mind, and suddenly I remembered that that app had some kind of problem like this; and so I looked it up, and, sure enough, there it was, clearly documented. So I simply turned-off that feature in the app, and, voila!, the phone stopped talking to me... even after reboot!

I mention it because from my reading around these and other forums, it seems that there are actually quite a few apps out there which run just fine on all phones until you turn-on a certain optional feature...

...and then all of a sudden, on at least certain phones, all hell breaks loose!

So my recommendation is to look in the phone's "Accessibility" area, specifically at the "Services" part of it, and see what apps are authorized to have "Accessibility" turned-on. Of course, "TalkBack," itself is listed there; and there, by the way, is where you'd turn it off, if it's on. Investigating whether there are any known oddities with any apps that need "Accessibility" turned on will probably lead you to the culprit.

In my phone's case, this "Addons Detector" app that I've been talking about in this posting is also listed there, next to "TalkBack," as an app which needs "Accessibility" turned-on. And as long as I had turned-on the feature in "Addons Detector" that needs "Accessibilility," my phone talked to me even if "TalkBack," itself, was turned off; and "TalkBack" would also turn back on after reboot, in any case. But the minute I went into "Addons Detector" and turned-off real time blocking of "push" ads, then suddenly the phone stopped talking to me, even though "Addons Detector" remains listed, right next to "TalkBack," itself, in the "Accessibility" area, as an app needing Accessibility turned on.

Turning-on "TalkBack," now, makes it work as it's supposed to... annoyingly so, I might add. But if I turn it off, then it actually stops talking to me; and won't turn itself back on on reboot.

So, bottom line: See what apps you have which need Accessibility turned-on by looking under "Services" in "Accessibility" in the phone's "Settings". If any apps are listed there (besides "TalkBack," itself, of course) then there's where you begin researching. An app's dev usually knows which phones have troubles with which parts of their apps, so reach out to the dev, first. Refer him/her to this posting, if you need to, so that s/he can understand what you're asking. Only once you've ruled-out a problem like I've herein described should you start investigating other things.

Hope that helps!
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

Pushing 40 years as an IT pro/consultant.
    Mobile phone use dates back to the early '80s.
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet.

How did you do it. I turned on talk back by mistake now I can't even scroll to try turning it off

Did u find out how to get to scroll down once you got to settings....this is a nightmare

Please can someone tell me how you got to scroll down once you've reach settings...I'm about to pull my hair out

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

You know, Estove, that you may edit your posts...

...that way, you don't have to keep adding new posts every time you think of something to add to your first post which makes a certain point. Just wanted to make sure you knew that, since... well... you know.

Anyway...

...I don't know what you mean by that you can't scroll down. You also need to specify which OS version you're using. I have a 2.2, 2.3, 4.0, and 4.1 phone at my disposal, so I can try to replicate what you're talking about; but I don't even know which one to try it on until and unless you specify which OS (and, as long as you're at it, precisely which phone) you're using.

Also, you need to specify, press-by-press/screen-by-screen, exactly what you're doing and seeing and experiencing, so I can even understand what is the problem.

Start at the centermost HOME screen; and then describe it like this:

From the centermost HOME screen, I press the MENU button, and select "Settings."

Once on the "Settings" screen, I press...

..and you, no doubt, get the picture from there.

Also, it would be nice to know what you mean when you write that you "accidentally" turned-on "TalkBack" mode. How, precisely, did you do that? Or, probably more accurately, what, precisely, is it that you did or thought you did which you believe caused "TalkBack" mode to be "accidentally" turned on? Do you actually remember an event? Or are you simply saying that all of a sudden it was on and you don't really know how in the heck that happened?

Finally, you need to try to remember the last few apps you installed -- and, also, the last few apps you opened and/or configured -- just before your noticing that "TalkBack" was on.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

Just a note regarding talkback. My wife is totally blind and uses this feature . She has no trouble operating it but currently has switched to an iphone due to more availability of apps for the blind. She just wanted others on this site to realize it is not a "useless app"

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kjkane56 View Post
    Just a note regarding talkback. My wife is totally blind and uses this feature . She has no trouble operating it but currently has switched to an iphone due to more availability of apps for the blind. She just wanted others on this site to realize it is not a "useless app"
    You are absolutely correct about the occasional arrogance and thoughtlessness of the fully enabled when it comes to accessibility-related things on computers. They are, by no stretch of the imagination "useless;" and I'm sure that anyone here to wrote that they are would, upon thinking about your wife and her situation, feel bad about it.

That said, such features and apps are certainly useless -- at least most of the time -- to the enabled...

...just as the lack of them is useless to your wife. And that said, even the enabled may avail themselves of the benefit of accessibility, as anyone who's ever been in a noisy bar or restaurant which has TVs with closed-captioning running so that one may see what's even said from across the room, knows.

My point, in any case, is that it's usually yet another kind of arrogance and thoughtlessness for the disabled to require the enabled to take into consideration the needs of the disabled at every turn. Where so doing actually impedes the disabled, then, yes, their needs not only should, but must be taken into consideration. However, it's asking too much of the enabled to disallow them to short-handedly refer to accessibility-related things as useless to them... especially when they're being shoved down their throats, and is actually degrading the user experience, as is the case with "TalkBack" being on, and not disable-able, by the fully enabbled. Your wife is blind and needs audio. Imagine if she were deaf and the phone wouldn't stop showing everything in HUGE and high-contrast, or reverse video images to accommodate the sight-challenged, and she couldn't turn it off. She'd think that was pretty useless, too.

The acid test would be if those here believed that the phones shouldn't come with accessibility options at all. Now that would be offensive!

I don't begrudge you standing-up for your wife. Good for you! She's lucky to have you as her knight in shining armor. But no one, here, was attacking her.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

I'm loving the talkback mode, but kind of lost on turning off the screen. On the iPhone, if i triple tap the screen with 3 fingers, i can turn off the screen (note the phone is still "on") and I can continue to use the phone; the idea being that I don't need the screen to be on if i'm blind, hence saving power. Is there anyway to turn off the screen on android phones in a similar way? Btw, I have a Galaxy S3 if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thuwaragan Sritharan View Post
    I'm loving the talkback mode, but kind of lost on turning off the screen. On the iPhone, if i triple tap the screen with 3 fingers, i can turn off the screen (note the phone is still "on") and I can continue to use the phone; the idea being that I don't need the screen to be on if i'm blind, hence saving power. Is there anyway to turn off the screen on android phones in a similar way? Btw, I have a Galaxy S3 if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    With most Android phones, I believe (I concede that I'm not absolutely certain, but I strongly believe) that for any of the touching of the screen to work, said screen needs to be on. This, of course, could vary by phone brand and model, and so it's possible that there's a model out there somewhere that will do what you're talking about.

However, if it's any consolation, if the screen's brightness is very, very low -- as in down at 1% brightness, for example -- then it will use very little battery, at least for purposes of lighting-up pixels on the screen. And so, then, considerable battery savings would be experienced by so doing. At that point, it's entirely possible that more battery would be being used by the screen touching electronics than by the image displaying electronics; and, of course, you'd need the touching part, regardless. So, then, my point is that only so much battery savings is possible, even by nearly blanking/blackening the screen since the part of the system needed to accommodate screen touching and navigation requires no small amount of battery. Part of the reason battery savings from blanking/blackening is achieved on an iPhone, but maybe not so much on an Android phone, is that so many Android phones -- including your S3 -- use an AMOLED or SuperAMOLED screen, which operates a little differently from what iPhones use.

Your solution, in any case, I think, is to set the screen brightness down as low as it will go...

...however, sadly, on some -- most, in fact, -- phones wherein setting the screen brightness is achieved by means of a slider, the lowest achievable screen brightness is still far above 1%. In fact, most phones have what's called "minimum screen brightness," below which the phone will resist the user setting. With many phones, the minimum screen brightness is 10% to 15%. A few phones may go as low as 5%; however, setting a phone's brightness down to 1% usually requires an app to help.

The solution is to download and install an app that specializes in achieving super-low screen brightness. A typical "screen brightness" app may or may not be capable of achieving the dimness you seek; but an app which calls itself a screen "dimmer" or "filter" may well be...

...however, many of them achieve their results by controlling the phone's backlight; and your S3 has no backlight. It's not that kind of phone. Your S3's screen is a SuperAMOLED type, and so pretty much only changing contrast (beyond brightness) is possible. Still, some of the dimmer and/or filter apps can do wonders with just that; and so it may nevertheless be possible to get that brightness down to 1%, and then to so adjust the contrast that the screen appears almost blank/black, even though it's technically not.

The first step is to find the right app, and that's going to be a challenge. You're simply going to have to trial-and-error a few of them to see which one will make that screen almost black, yet still technically be on. You're obviously going to need a sighted person to help you with that. Once you and s/he figure it out, though, you could either use the dimmer app's ability to auto-dim the screen on boot-up (if it's capable of that); or the app might provide a widget that you could put on a homescreen which, if pressed, will dim the screen; or you could use an automation tool like , or to auto-set the screen to the dimness you seek, on boot-up. Tasker is capable of more in the hands of either a real programmer, or someone who at least thinks like one; but AutomateIt is nearly as capable in most ways, even in the hands of a novice. Personally, I'd start with AutomateIt... though obviously don't even worry about either AutomateIt or Tasker is whatever screen dimmer/filter app you choose is capable of setting screen how you want it as part of boot-up (or that provides a nice homescreen widget that will do it so you can get there in one click once the phone's booted-up).

There are, my point is, several ways to skin this cat. You and a sighted person are simply going to need to do some experimenting to find the perfect solution.

A caveat: Some of these dimmer/filter apps are capable of making the screen completely black (or at least so nearly so that even a sighted person can't see what the heck s/he's doing) which could be a real problem if you actually got the phone permanently stuck that way. Most of them offer emergency recovery instructions, but, sadly, some of them are awkward... like, for example, removing the battery from the phone, and then forcibly disabling/uninstalling the app, etc. You'll probably want to avoid apps like that. It might be better to use an app that's actually incapable of getting you jammed-up like that because it will simply not boot the phone into screen-dimmed mode, and, instead, requires that you manually put the phone into dimmed mode by a button press or something after boot-up. Remember that if you're going to ever be asking a sighted person to help you with anything, it will need to be easy for you or him/her to toggle the brightness from your preferred dim setting to one that's normal for him/her. So be careful about choosing any of these dimming/filtering apps which doesn't accommodate that.

are some screen brightness control apps.

are some screen dimming apps.

are some screen filtering apps.

Again, your solution is probably in a dimming and/or filtering app; but you may well find a "screen brightness" app that's capable of doing it all. Again, sadly, it's just going to have to be trial and error on your part until you find the right app. Whenever you do, if it's free but either has ads in it, or crippled features unless you buy the paid version, by all means go ahead and get the paid version. It'll be worth it for both the extra features and not having to endure the ads.

Hope that helps!

Good luck to you.

Peace.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

ty so much for the help on this! i sat here for a half an hour trying to turn this thing off. now i know that it may aid some ppl such at the deaf or blind, but it can prove to be a pain for the ppl that dont need it. i could not figure out for the life of me how to scroll down once i got into the menu in order to deselect this option. thank you soooooooooooooooo much!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast