Talkback mode, didn't like it, got it turned back off.

MartyMcfly

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I turned on talkback mode by mistake (while enabling light flow). I'm having trouble navigating, I cant scroll to the accessibility option. How can I turn this off?

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
i cant shut it off, how did u do it,,lol i cant scroll anywhere to even get to settings to shut it off. its in deep blind mode,,help

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have done this as well! Anyone know what the solution is? I cannot get to any options that will allow me to turn this off.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
OK I figured it out. To scroll through the menus with talkback on, double tap and scroll with two fingers. Took a bit to get it right, but its finally gone!!

Stephen Parker

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks ..this was a nightmare..i could get to settings by double tapping.. but was not able to scroll down to turn the dam think off....went to Samsung on line chat..no help at all... :D

CallMe Otter

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
it took me 2 hours to turn of the talkback
remove that sh.it

im having the same problem and am freaking out cuz cannot get back to settings to turn it off....can someone more clearly explain - i cant even get apps to close when theyre accidentally tapped by trying to do the above steps. Someone just turned on the talkback function to see what it was like and now i cant turn it off and am panicking because i have no access to any other phones, and dont have any where to go (theres no android store and no carrier store for me)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
This is by far the worst and most useless feature. Once on you can't scroll pages, you can't use pattern locks, you can't pull down the notification bar. This was clearly meant to be used with another interface that we didn't get as people with other phones seem to have no problem with it. I have my settings app on the home screen but try getting to it in the app drawer to turn the "feature" off.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

dimetholether

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand how this feature can help blind and disabled. has anyone tested with them when they added this option?
when normal people can't even figure it out on how to navigate between screens.
scrolling is the worse you basically have to push the screen with 2 fingers apart and while holding it move your fingers up or down sort of like pulling the screen.
double tapping is a pain too have to remember that you need to tap ones to select only then a quick double tap will open the icon.

akrasch

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Saved me from wasting my whole day, breaking phone by prying cover off to remove battery to try to reset, etc, etc. How to disable is top secret, apparently.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Remember, also, that certain apps on certain phones can collide, and can cause this symptom. This "Addons Dectector" app, for example, when running on several different models of Samsung Galaxy-family phones which are running an Android OS version at or higher than 4.x, works perfectly unless you ask it to actively intercept "push" ads in real time. In order to do that, it must turn-on the phone's "Accessibility" feature...

...not the "TalkBack" feature within Accessibility, mind you, but just Accessibility, itself; the "TalkBack" feature can remain turned-off for this app.

That's all the app does that's mildly unusual; and it only needs to do it if you opt to have it constantly monitor your phone and block "push" ads... which is a very, very cool feature. In fact, this app is just so cool, it's not even funny. Every phone owner should have it, in addition to a good anti-virus app. And remember that the feature of this app which intercepts "push" ads needn't be turned-on for this app to be useful. In fact, intercepting "push" ads, live and in real time, is only a new feature. Everything else it does, it's been doing for a long time, and, trust me, it's enough. This app is amazing!

On most phones, it works just fine. However, sadly, we who have certain models of Samsung Galaxy-family phones may simply not use the feature where the app blocks "push" ads in real time, because there's an oddity in the Samsung version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and higher which causes the entire phone's "TalkBack" to be turned-on, even though it's only "Accessibility" that the app needs. The dev has tried everything, and no matter what he does, "TalkBack" just won't stop talking to the user of certain Android-4.x-and-higher Samsung Galaxy-family phones if the active "push" ads blocking feature of this app is turned on. That feature of that app -- and ONLY that one feature -- is simply incompatible with certain Samsung Galaxy-family phones running Android 4.x and higher. And that's just the long-and-short of it.

I was reminded of it when I got a new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean phone, and ran the app, and turned-on the active "push" ad blocking, as I had done on my previous Android 2.3 Ginger Bread phone; and suddenly the darned thing started talking to me; everything I did, it told me I was doing. I wanted to throw the phone to the floor; and no matter how many times I turned-off "TalkBack" it just came back on on reboot...

...that is, until I started asking myself what apps I've most recently installed, and then I kinda' went through them in my mind, and suddenly I remembered that that app had some kind of problem like this; and so I looked it up, and, sure enough, there it was, clearly documented. So I simply turned-off that feature in the app, and, voila!, the phone stopped talking to me... even after reboot!

I mention it because from my reading around these and other forums, it seems that there are actually quite a few apps out there which run just fine on all phones until you turn-on a certain optional feature...

...and then all of a sudden, on at least certain phones, all hell breaks loose!

So my recommendation is to look in the phone's "Accessibility" area, specifically at the "Services" part of it, and see what apps are authorized to have "Accessibility" turned-on. Of course, "TalkBack," itself is listed there; and there, by the way, is where you'd turn it off, if it's on. Investigating whether there are any known oddities with any apps that need "Accessibility" turned on will probably lead you to the culprit.

In my phone's case, this "Addons Detector" app that I've been talking about in this posting is also listed there, next to "TalkBack," as an app which needs "Accessibility" turned-on. And as long as I had turned-on the feature in "Addons Detector" that needs "Accessibilility," my phone talked to me even if "TalkBack," itself, was turned off; and "TalkBack" would also turn back on after reboot, in any case. But the minute I went into "Addons Detector" and turned-off real time blocking of "push" ads, then suddenly the phone stopped talking to me, even though "Addons Detector" remains listed, right next to "TalkBack," itself, in the "Accessibility" area, as an app needing Accessibility turned on.

Turning-on "TalkBack," now, makes it work as it's supposed to... annoyingly so, I might add. But if I turn it off, then it actually stops talking to me; and won't turn itself back on on reboot.

So, bottom line: See what apps you have which need Accessibility turned-on by looking under "Services" in "Accessibility" in the phone's "Settings". If any apps are listed there (besides "TalkBack," itself, of course) then there's where you begin researching. An app's dev usually knows which phones have troubles with which parts of their apps, so reach out to the dev, first. Refer him/her to this posting, if you need to, so that s/he can understand what you're asking. Only once you've ruled-out a problem like I've herein described should you start investigating other things.

Hope that helps!

Estove

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
How did you do it. I turned on talk back by mistake now I can't even scroll to try turning it off

Did u find out how to get to scroll down once you got to settings....this is a nightmare

Please can someone tell me how you got to scroll down once you've reach settings...I'm about to pull my hair out

Last edited by a moderator:

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You know, Estove, that you may edit your posts...

...that way, you don't have to keep adding new posts every time you think of something to add to your first post which makes a certain point. Just wanted to make sure you knew that, since... well... you know.

Anyway...

...I don't know what you mean by that you can't scroll down. You also need to specify which OS version you're using. I have a 2.2, 2.3, 4.0, and 4.1 phone at my disposal, so I can try to replicate what you're talking about; but I don't even know which one to try it on until and unless you specify which OS (and, as long as you're at it, precisely which phone) you're using.

Also, you need to specify, press-by-press/screen-by-screen, exactly what you're doing and seeing and experiencing, so I can even understand what is the problem.

Start at the centermost HOME screen; and then describe it like this:

From the centermost HOME screen, I press the MENU button, and select "Settings."

Once on the "Settings" screen, I press...

..and you, no doubt, get the picture from there.

Also, it would be nice to know what you mean when you write that you "accidentally" turned-on "TalkBack" mode. How, precisely, did you do that? Or, probably more accurately, what, precisely, is it that you did or thought you did which you believe caused "TalkBack" mode to be "accidentally" turned on? Do you actually remember an event? Or are you simply saying that all of a sudden it was on and you don't really know how in the heck that happened?

Finally, you need to try to remember the last few apps you installed -- and, also, the last few apps you opened and/or configured -- just before your noticing that "TalkBack" was on.

kjkane56

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just a note regarding talkback. My wife is totally blind and uses this feature . She has no trouble operating it but currently has switched to an iphone due to more availability of apps for the blind. She just wanted others on this site to realize it is not a "useless app"

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just a note regarding talkback. My wife is totally blind and uses this feature . She has no trouble operating it but currently has switched to an iphone due to more availability of apps for the blind. She just wanted others on this site to realize it is not a "useless app"

You are absolutely correct about the occasional arrogance and thoughtlessness of the fully enabled when it comes to accessibility-related things on computers. They are, by no stretch of the imagination "useless;" and I'm sure that anyone here to wrote that they are would, upon thinking about your wife and her situation, feel bad about it.

That said, such features and apps are certainly useless -- at least most of the time -- to the enabled...

...just as the lack of them is useless to your wife. And that said, even the enabled may avail themselves of the benefit of accessibility, as anyone who's ever been in a noisy bar or restaurant which has TVs with closed-captioning running so that one may see what's even said from across the room, knows.

My point, in any case, is that it's usually yet another kind of arrogance and thoughtlessness for the disabled to require the enabled to take into consideration the needs of the disabled at every turn. Where so doing actually impedes the disabled, then, yes, their needs not only should, but must be taken into consideration. However, it's asking too much of the enabled to disallow them to short-handedly refer to accessibility-related things as useless to them... especially when they're being shoved down their throats, and is actually degrading the user experience, as is the case with "TalkBack" being on, and not disable-able, by the fully enabbled. Your wife is blind and needs audio. Imagine if she were deaf and the phone wouldn't stop showing everything in HUGE and high-contrast, or reverse video images to accommodate the sight-challenged, and she couldn't turn it off. She'd think that was pretty useless, too.

The acid test would be if those here believed that the phones shouldn't come with accessibility options at all. Now that would be offensive!

I don't begrudge you standing-up for your wife. Good for you! She's lucky to have you as her knight in shining armor. But no one, here, was attacking her.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane