Straight Talk coverage only in one zip code?

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a straight talk sim that I was going to activate for my Nexus. I was on the phone with a rep and I was told that they only guarantee coverage in the zip code I give them. Has anyone had issues with a Nexus traveling to different zip codes?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
The reason why they ask you for a ZIP when you buy the SIM, is that they need to determine if they offer either AT&T or T-Mobile coverage in that area. For example, if you enter a ZIP where they only offer one type of service, they'll restrict your SIM choices when you purchase.

So when you leave that ZIP, they'll say they can't "guarantee service" because people might look at other coverage maps and they may not have service for their particular SIM in that area.

Generally, don't worry about it. You get national coverage, either AT&T or T-Mobile, depending on the SIM you chose. They don't put you on roaming (there really isn't roaming on prepaid anyways). You'll just be able to use your phone normally.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks for the info. I assumed that wasn't the case I just thought I would ask. My AT&T number has now been successfully ported to Straight Talk. I'm assuming AT&T will automatically cancel my contract and charge any ETF and prorated fees that I owe. Is this true or do I need to contact them?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for the info. I assumed that wasn't the case I just thought I would ask. My AT&T number has now been successfully ported to Straight Talk. I'm assuming AT&T will automatically cancel my contract and charge any ETF and prorated fees that I owe. Is this true or do I need to contact them?

Porting your number should initiate a contract cancel and ETF with AT&T. I'd assume you'd be notified soon.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Why didn't you port to google voice?!?!?!?!?

google voice is the last port you will ever have to do.

I would still do it if I were you.

www.voice.google.com

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I would still need data. If I could use Google Voice with the $30 T-Mobile plan that may work better than straight talk.

You can use Google Voice with any service plan. You can even use it with a land line. Google Voice is just a call forwarding service that lets you have 1 number and have it forward to any phone you choose.

Remember though, by default, Google Voice forwarding uses voice minutes. It's not a VOIP service to your phone. If you're interested in hacking it into being a VOIP service, you'll need to use some other services in conjunction with GV.

Last edited:

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Think of Google voice as the service that lets you keep control of your phone number. You can switch carriers many times, get different numbers, but it doesn't matter because every one still calls the your number

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You can use Google Voice with any service plan. You can even use it with a land line. Google Voice is just a call forwarding service that lets you have 1 number and have it forward to any phone you choose.

Remember though, by default, Google Voice forwarding uses voice minutes. It's not a VOIP service to your phone. If you're interested in hacking it into being a VOIP service, you'll need to use some other services in conjunction with GV>

With google voice you still need data to initiate calls.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
With google voice you still need data to initiate calls.

Considering that you can use Google Voice with a land line phone, I don't think you need any data to use it :p . You do not need a data plan to make or receive calls with Google Voice unless you're doing some sort of VOIP solution with an app.

But regardless, I'm sure OP will have a data plan.

Last edited:

2wyce

May 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're interested in hacking it into being a VOIP service, you'll need to use some other services in conjunction with GV>

Not much hacking required for that as far as land lines go. Just get an obi100 or different model from amazon. I've been using it for 2 years without a problem.

As for mobile, SIPDroid works.

marcus anderson2

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
what about with CDMA Phones like sprint cuz i cant get any zip code to work whats so ever i a have tried 6 denver, co zip codes, two wyoming zip codes and even a new york zip code