Very low bars/service for AT&T?

chamme22

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Just got my phone a week ago and I've noticed I've never had more than 2 or 3 bars of service anywhere. And my old android phone would get 4-5 constantly.

Is something wrong with the GNex?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I did notice that with my both GN units I was getting really low speeds even with the full bar I called AT&T CS about this thinking I was on the wrong plan (had LTE) but even after they did some changes on the line the speeds remained the same. I also tried a few different APN settings but that didn't make any difference at all. When my Skyrocket was in the areas with poor LTE service it would switch to HSPA but it was much faster than the GNex. So I think the radio chip on GN sucks...
Interestingly my speeds on the iPhone are about the same (usually 4mbps DL and 1- 1.5UP) which is also kinda disappointing...

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Just be aware that every phone has different variances in regard to # of bars.
ie Less bars on one brand of phone vs more on another brand does not necessarily indicate poorer reception.

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
You have to get used to it

Samsung is not good with connectivity and I miss calls with my nexus more than any other phone

Sometimes people tell me that they called me several times but my phone did not receive their calls

I think Motorola is better than samsung in this regard.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully some day Samsung will figure out not to put the antenna at the bottom where your hand normally is to cover it up.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly, since the Jelly Bean update, my signal levels have improved (when measuring dBm) from -103dBm to -99dBm (at my house) which is about as good as my trusty Berry which is an amazing signal performer.

Dan

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly, since the Jelly Bean update, my signal levels have improved (when measuring dBm) from -103dBm to -99dBm (at my house) which is about as good as my trusty Berry which is an amazing signal performer.

Dan

Is there a way to easily switch to the dBm instead of the bars?

MrProph

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had this problem, and I've had it on AT&T since December. Have you tried a different radio?

can you define radio exactly im not a phone expert and ive been having some rough signal issues also just at my house and neighborhood...im in the greater boston area..whats worse is if i got about a mile up the street i get 4 bars

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got my phone a week ago and I've noticed I've never had more than 2 or 3 bars of service anywhere. And my old android phone would get 4-5 constantly.

Is something wrong with the GNex?

There's a difference between how each phone represents "bars". Your really need to compare the actual "dBm" signal rating that the phones are getting when sitting right next to each other. Bars really don't tell you much at all when you're comparing different devices.

One thing that many people have noticed is that Nexus devices are a bit more "honest" about their signals when reporting bars, whereas most carrier-branded devices often over-report bars.

Some people will also say that Samsung is bad with radios, which may be true (definitely true with CDMA/LTE) but I've gotten better signal ratings on my GNex than I had on my HTC G2. YMMV.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
can you define radio exactly im not a phone expert and ive been having some rough signal issues also just at my house and neighborhood...im in the greater boston area..whats worse is if i got about a mile up the street i get 4 bars

No prob! So radio firmware controls basic low-level functions like network connectivity, Wi-Fi, and GPS. For several years, though, "radio" means "baseband", and controls network connectivity aspects only, while WiFi and GPS are governed by OS drivers, like any other devices.

Usually upgrading your radio won't give you any new features but will fix connectivity issues, increase range or performance, decrease battery usage, or the like. Some ROM's require you to have the latest radio versions to work.

A botched radio upgrade can brick your phone, the process is basically the same as upgrading your ROM. Just make sure not to unplug or power down your phone in the middle, make sure you trust the person who released the radio firmware, and try to read some comments or reviews.

I have updated and tried different radios, and have found that the one I currently use gives me a bar or two when my wife won't have any, etc. It just all depends on the radio, where you are at, etc.

BUT! It works both ways. You might go to a different radio and find that you have worse service with it. You just gotta find what is best for you.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit (I'm currently on AT&T as well, until the contract runs out and I switch to pre-paid service), I have missed more calls with my Galaxy Nexus than any of my past phones as well. The important factor here is that my location has not changed between the phones, either. I live in the same place and even work in the same place, for the past 5 years. Whether it's a weak radio by Samsung, or a fix needing to be applied through rooting & installing custom things, or Nexus devices are more "honest" ; whatever the case may be, I had much better signal on ALL of my past phones, in these same locations. Personally, I blame Samsung's radios, but I have no problem admitting when I am wrong and will gladly do so if proven to be the case. For the next Nexus, I am hoping for one from a different manufacturer, whether that be Moto or HTC (probably wouldn't pick up an LG one, personally).

ArgonNJ#CB

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I am defiantly getting less signal with my Nexus. I've had several iphones a Window 7 Phone and an ipad. While those devices were always able to get 2 to 3 bars, my Nexus usually gets none. I have a micro cell that works great, when it works, but anyone who has one knows, they don't always work and during a power failure, they are useless. The radio is really the only thing I don't like about my Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech