Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fender7217
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Persistent "Hidden sender message" notification

Hello forum,

Sometime today I starting getting a notification saying I had a text from a hidden sender. I noticed this only shows up when i'm using Go sms or another third party text message app. The error doesn't show when using the stock messaging app. I've tried clearing data, cache and reinstalling go sms and still the problem happens. When I actually click on the notification it'll take me into Go sms but there is not text from the hidden sender. Not sure what's causing this.

I'm running my Nexus stock and unrooted.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Default Re: Persistent "Hidden sender message" notification

I've heard that this is an MMS issue that happens sometimes. Have you tried going through the settings, disabling auto retrieve MMS? Once you've done that, try and send yourself and MMS and see if it happens again.
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Just tried that and it still shows up. I'll mess around with some settings after work and see if I can get rid of it. Thanks for the help!

Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

No problem. And it might just be a bug with the apps themselves. Let me know if you find a resolution!
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Somehow I found a fix. I got a text from the person who sent me a message right before the error started. That might have helped since it could put a number with the hidden sender. It could've been sheer luck with me messing with the auto download and clearing data. Whatever it was I'm glad it's working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Huh, that is weird. And he was in your contacts the whole time?
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

As far as I can tell I had the contact the whole time. I know when I got the mms message I lost signal while the pic was downloading. Maybe that triggered the bug. I have no clue what made the notification pop up or really want the exact cause was.

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Found this thread with a google search. I'm really struggling with this.

I'm in the same position as OP. It seems the bug first started happening following receving a picture message. Now every time a new text comes in, I get a "hidden sender" notification too, that is nothing.

It only happens in GoSMS, Handscent. The stock SMS app doesn't do this.

I'm unbelievably frustrated with this right now. I've tried clearing cache, data, even uninstalling the entire app. Nothing has fixed it.

Other google searches show this is a widespread issue that has happened on many different devices. It's not a carrier issue, but an Android bug issue. There are several claimed "fixed" to the problem that involved enabling/disabling auto-retrieval of MMS in various apps but nothing has fixed it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Oh. My. God.

It was as simple as using the "mark all as read" option to clear this mysteriously hidden message. Even though I deleted EVERYTHING, there was something somewhere still unread.

That did it. I had yet to see that suggestion as a solution from all my google searching. Hopefully someone finds this and tries this option.
    Thanked by 2:
    jenni4stewart likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The fix that worked for me was to go to the inbox folder in go sms. For whatever reason I had two messages in there. Deleted those and the problem went away.

In case of implosion look directly at implosion.

i have a samsung galaxy s and im having THE EXACT same issue and it happened after i recieved a picture message and i went to go find the mark all as read button and cant seem to find it...someone please help me!

This is the only answer that I have found that worked for my phone. Thank you so much for sharing this fender7217!!!
    Thanked by:

How do u find the mobile number in a hidden sender on your galaxy

i have the same problem what did you do to fix it i cant find "mark all as read" on my samsung galaxy s so what was the outcome ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni4stewart View Post
    This is the only answer that I have found that worked for my phone. Thank you so much for sharing this fender7217!!!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

When I had this problem gosms was the culprit. Gosms has an inbox folder so I went in there and deleted everything. That seemed to fix the problem

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    In case of implosion look directly at implosion.

Same issue with Samsung S3 internal message system.

This is my stupid fix, it should work at least for other Samsung S3 devices, and probably all.
    1. Backup all your sms with "SMS Backup & Restore".
    2. Delete all sms including mms on your mobile.
    3. Restore all sms with "SMS Backup & Restore".

Takes about 5 -10 minutes to fix. But feels great afterwards!