Satisfaction of nexus

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I bought the nexus 7 last week and I am extremely surprised how much I ended up loving it.

I've had my eye on the iphone , as well as my wife. We own Mac book pros, iPods, and used to own an iPad 1; almost bought an apple TV if it wasn't for the raspberry pi. I just really like the integrated ecosystem they have built around their products.

But the nexus 7 made me realize that the nexus line is googles attempt at that same ecosystem. It's behind apples in a lot of respects particularly on the amount of content available, but I see the potential is there.

That said, I think my next phone will be a nexus, my wife would still want an iPhone so we are waiting until September when the next one is released.

Prior to that, what is your general satisfaction of the nexus? Any inherent problems with 4g? Any comments would be appreciated and if you came from on iPhone, what was your decision making? Any apps you wish you had ( I'd love a native pintrest app for instance) that are not available on the android system?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I had an Evo 4G and a HTC G2 (and some WinMo phones before those) before my GNex, and if there's one thing I learned from my previous phones it is that I'm tired of chasing stock Android.

I used to like rooting and ROMing my devices trying to get an AOSP-like feel, and never really got it. I learned to just shut up and buy a Nexus, and start using and enjoying my device for what it is. Its amazing how much more you enjoy your phone when you don't have a nagging voice in the back of your head reminding you that you don't have the latest software update or that there's some manufacturer and carrier getting in the way of using your device.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
There is plenty of content on Google. How many apps do you really need? A lot of stuff is just easier and simpler on android and the nexus lines are just icing on the cake.

I use the web browser a lot and having three different android devices using the chrome browser helps me easily go from one to another when I need to switch devices. No hassle there.

The vanilla feel of the nexus line is just smooth as can be. No manufacturer made launcher atop of android to slow it down. Just pure android.

Reactions: TheIowaKid

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the nexus 7 last week and I am extremely surprised how much I ended up loving it.

I've had my eye on the iphone , as well as my wife. We own Mac book pros, iPods, and used to own an iPad 1; almost bought an apple TV if it wasn't for the raspberry pi. I just really like the integrated ecosystem they have built around their products.

But the nexus 7 made me realize that the nexus line is googles attempt at that same ecosystem. It's behind apples in a lot of respects particularly on the amount of content available, but I see the potential is there.

That said, I think my next phone will be a nexus, my wife would still want an iPhone so we are waiting until September when the next one is released.

Prior to that, what is your general satisfaction of the nexus? Any inherent problems with 4g? Any comments would be appreciated and if you came from on iPhone, what was your decision making? Any apps you wish you had ( I'd love a native pintrest app for instance) that are not available on the android system?

Thanks.

The iPhone is a great product and to each their own. They both have pros and cons. They are both top notch products and you won't go wrong with either. Its really just a personal preference. I have had many androids starting with the og droid. My last phone was a sprint iPhone 4. Things I loved about the iPhone were battery life smoothness of the ui and how polished and well built all the apps were and timely updates. Things that made me come back to the nexus were mainly screen size and I enjoy the widgets and free MP3 apps as I have no iTunes. With android u have more choice screen size, different manufactures all types of things. But that in turns makes it harder for everything to be seamless as u have so many different phone makers,skins. Makes it harder for updates to be pushed on time. Each has there pros and cons u are pretty much decided between a Lamborghini or a ferrari. Both are awesome top of the line phones u won't go wrong with either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Its amazing how much more you enjoy your phone when you don't have a nagging voice in the back of your head reminding you that you don't have the latest software update or that there's some manufacturer and carrier getting in the way of using your device.

That is my thing with getting a nexus, I love the new android OS on the nexus 7 and it just works so well and smooth. Grant it I am being biased a bit, I am comparing performance to my optimus V which is a bit unfair given that phone is a economy phone.

There is plenty of content on Google. How many apps do you really need? A lot of stuff is just easier and simpler on android and the nexus lines are just icing on the cake.

It's not apps I am referring to (though, specifically, I use pintrest and currently only iOS has a native pintrest app) but subscriptions like magazines. It's kind of hard to compare but there are some magazines where I thought hey, this would be worth getting on the nexus, but they were not available on google play.

The vanilla feel of the nexus line is just smooth as can be. No manufacturer made launcher atop of android to slow it down. Just pure android.

This is what I am referring to. I've read somewhere in passing that the verizon galaxy nexus has something vendor specific in it? is this true?

More to the point: is getting a $100 galaxy nexus from Verizon with a 2-year contract the same nexus as buying it directly from google for $350 and then subscribing to verizon after the fact?

also - what's the deal with 4g? I also read something about the nexus not handling LTE very well but google shows the phone supports it.

I am also confused, even after reading wikipedia, as to if 4G = LTE? especially verizon throws the term LTE left and right and they make it sound like there are a handful of different LTE tiers or something....

specifically talking about their coverage map here.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I started out with Android when the OG Droid was first released. I've had a few phones after that such as the Droid X, Atrix, etc. But nothing really has come close to the quality of the Nexus. I'm the type that after a few months, other phone that are coming out on the market start to look good, and I'll switch. But with this phone I haven't had a drop of that feeling to switch to a new phone.

The development behind the phone is phenomenal. If you want a feature on your phone that isn't there stock, you can find it through a ROM or mod. But whats great is that even stock it doesn't need any modifications. I could be happy with just a stock phone.

All in all, I probably won't be venturing from the Nexus line any time soon. Great phones, great features, great craftsmanship.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
That is my thing with getting a nexus, I love the new android OS on the nexus 7 and it just works so well and smooth. Grant it I am being biased a bit, I am comparing performance to my optimus V which is a bit unfair given that phone is a economy phone.

It's not apps I am referring to (though, specifically, I use pintrest and currently only iOS has a native pintrest app) but subscriptions like magazines. It's kind of hard to compare but there are some magazines where I thought hey, this would be worth getting on the nexus, but they were not available on google play.

This is what I am referring to. I've read somewhere in passing that the verizon galaxy nexus has something vendor specific in it? is this true?

More to the point: is getting a $100 galaxy nexus from Verizon with a 2-year contract the same nexus as buying it directly from google for $350 and then subscribing to verizon after the fact?

also - what's the deal with 4g? I also read something about the nexus not handling LTE very well but google shows the phone supports it.

I am also confused, even after reading wikipedia, as to if 4G = LTE? especially verizon throws the term LTE left and right and they make it sound like there are a handful of different LTE tiers or something....

specifically talking about their coverage map here.

The nexus Google sells direct is a gsm phone. Won't work on Verizon. You will have to buy it at the susidized price from Verizon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had two defective Nexus units which I sent back and ended up getting an iPhone. While Jelly Bean is a great mature OS the Samsung's QA sucks big time. As well as their customer service. (just horrible!) I will be waiting for the next Nexus to be announced hopefully bult by Motorola. In a mean time enjoying my first iPhone (been an android user for 3 years)

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had multiple android phones and iPhones. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. IPhones are more simple to use. Android on the other hand can be a bit more complicated. But it's much easier to customize. I was using an iPhone 4S when I switched back to android. Currently on a GSM Galaxy Nexus with AT&T. I must say that coming back to android has been very pleasant with jelly bean. I also own a MacBook Pro and an iPad 2. I'm enjoying the nexus line so much I'm more considering purchasing the Nexus 7. I don't claim to be a fanboy of either android or Apple but, I don't plan on returning to Apple anytime soon. Especially if the design rumors are true about the next iPhone.

Just my.02

Swyped from my Jelly Bean infected Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 2.

Reactions: dopestar

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Verizon sells a specific CDMA/LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus for their network only. The one direct from Google is GSM only and as such will only work on AT&T or Tmobile; it is unlocked.

The GSM version Google sells runs on HSPA+ networks which AT&T and Tmobile have branded as "4G". It does not work with LTE. Only the Verizon (and I believe now Sprint) version have LTE. So if you want to use the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon you must get it from them or make sure you get the CDMA version from a third party.

I used the iPhone only since it came out. The Galaxy Nexus is my first Android phone. I don't think I would get anything else. The phone is very nice and Jelly Bean highly usable. It still doesn't have quite the same level of fit and finish of iOS but this is very close. The amount of customization is insane. I have the OEM extended battery and the battery life is impressive. The only thing that is solidly worse on the Galaxy Nexus is the camera and reception in comparison to my iPhone 4; I have to drop the Nexus down to EDGE to get signal inside my building at work. I don't know why some people need to bash one side or the other here. I haven't found anything that truly wows me over the iPhone. In fact I've found they are almost the same. There are some things I like more on iOS and some I like more on Android. I think it's up to you to decide what works for you.

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
So if you want to use the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon you must get it from them or make sure you get the CDMA version from a third party.

that's fine. does this mean that I would be subject to the problem a lot of phones have with carriers not updating to the latest android?

in other words, I root my optimus V and put a gingerbread rom on it. If I wanted jelly-bean - which after the nexus 7 i do - should i wait until verizon is selling the nexus with jellybean pre-installed or will it be easy for google to update it?

In other words, I like jelly bean so much on the nexus 7 that I have no desire to root/add a new rom to it. And i am wondering if I would be subject to putting a new rom on a verizon phone because they may not deliver jelly bean.

also - does anyone know, verizon says under the share everything plan that using the phone as a mobile hotspot is allowed if the phone supports it.

does the nexus support it out of the box or should i expect that I would have to root/add a new rom in order to do so?

-joel

DaX05

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung Nexus S from T-Mobile for 2 years & felt I could of squeezed a few more years out of it but loved that device.

Now I'm loving the buttery smooth experience of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM). :) Worth the $350.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
that's fine. does this mean that I would be subject to the problem a lot of phones have with carriers not updating to the latest android?

in other words, I root my optimus V and put a gingerbread rom on it. If I wanted jelly-bean - which after the nexus 7 i do - should i wait until verizon is selling the nexus with jellybean pre-installed or will it be easy for google to update it?

In other words, I like jelly bean so much on the nexus 7 that I have no desire to root/add a new rom to it. And i am wondering if I would be subject to putting a new rom on a verizon phone because they may not deliver jelly bean.

also - does anyone know, verizon says under the share everything plan that using the phone as a mobile hotspot is allowed if the phone supports it.

does the nexus support it out of the box or should i expect that I would have to root/add a new rom in order to do so?

-joel

I'm not expert but I think if you want JB on the Verizon GNex you will need to either wait for them or load a custom ROM as updates for the CDMA GNex come from Samsung/Verizon and not Google directly.

I assume the GNex does support hotspots as I see a setting to enable it (and tethering) in my settings.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
In the last two years there have been only two phones that I have kept for more than three months. One was (is) my iPhone 4S and the other was my Nexus S. nexus phones sure awesome. I really enjoyed the stock experience of Android. The only issue that I had was that there were very few other Android users that had the features I did which was a little problematic. For example, the Nexus S introduced Gingerbread. One of the awesome features of Gingerbread was video chat through Google Talk. It is a great feature, but no one else who had other non-Nexus devices had that. So I was never able to use it. With my iPhone 4S, my wife, daughter, friends, etc. who have an iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, iMac can use the FaceTime feature. In addition, any apps that other iPhone users have, I can have too. With Android, could have an app that I like, and my friend who also has an Android phone may not be able to get the app because his Android device doesn't support it. Other than those issues, I loved everything about my Nexus. Google services are abundant and easy to get into. But I will be sticking with my iPhone for a long time.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
In the last two years there have been only two phones that I have kept for more than three months. One was (is) my iPhone 4S and the other was my Nexus S. nexus phones sure awesome. I really enjoyed the stock experience of Android. The only issue that I had was that there were very few other Android users that had the features I did which was a little problematic. For example, the Nexus S introduced Gingerbread. One of the awesome features of Gingerbread was video chat through Google Talk. It is a great feature, but no one else who had other non-Nexus devices had that. So I was never able to use it. With my iPhone 4S, my wife, daughter, friends, etc. who have an iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, iMac can use the FaceTime feature. In addition, any apps that other iPhone users have, I can have too. With Android, could have an app that I like, and my friend who also has an Android phone may not be able to get the app because his Android device doesn't support it. Other than those issues, I loved everything about my Nexus. Google services are abundant and easy to get into. But I will be sticking with my iPhone for a long time.
Perhaps my only gripe about iPhone would be the lack of normal google maps and google navigation. But I found a workaround by using Telenav. Other minor things like safari limitations, itunes and such aren't that important. I like the iPhone but most likely will go back to android once Google will have more devices to choose from

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps my only gripe about iPhone would be the lack of normal google maps and google navigation. But I found a workaround by using Telenav. Other minor things like safari limitations, itunes and such aren't that important. I like the iPhone but most likely will go back to android once Google will have more devices to choose from

We are getting our own navigation app come next month.

Entouchman

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought about waiting on the new iPhone, but I have seen the reviews on the Betas of the new IOS6 and Siri is not fixed...it appears Apple is now trying to catch up to android rather than leading the industry! I personally think the new iPhone is going to be a real let down as Apples vision has gone away. Google will soon take their place and rule! Correction already have.

Last edited:

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I thought about waiting on the new iPhone, but I have seen the reviews on the Betas of the new IOS6 and Siri is not fixed...it appears Apple is now trying to catch up to android rather than leading the industry! I personally think the new iPhone is going to be a real let down as Apples vision has gone away. Google will soon take their place and rule! Correction already have.

^^ this.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums