1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Portable WiFi hotspot..

I recently purchased both my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 tablet. Both are great devices my only issue is that the Nexus 7 tablet seems to have bad WiFi connection at times at different areas of my house. I was thinking since I'm using my unlocked gsm Galaxy Nexus on my unlimited At&t grandfathered data plan would I be able to use my Nexus as a portable WiFi hotspot to give my N7 bars without getting any additional charges through my carrier? Thanks in advance for future replies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Portable WiFi hotspot..

I see to recall reading AT&T will eventually detect it and either force you to stop or buy a tethering plan. It is mentioned in this article from yesterday:
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks I missed that headline. Hopefully they fix WiFi issues with the N7.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hmm thanks I'll check this out. But I don't see the difference between this app and the many others that state they offer free Wifi tethering. Thanks again though. Please state your use with this app as it would be great to get feedback from someone that actually has used this.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome.Chang View Post
    I will +1 this app. It's very easy to install and setup. Works great with my N7. It will give you a password when you set it up on your phone. Enter this password on your N7 when you set up a new wifi hotspot. Whole process takes 2 minutes.
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 08-09-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Just use the built-in wifi hotspot on your Nexus. You don't need extra software. The OS isn't hooked into att, so it's not checking their system. There's a chance they can spot your tethering, but that could be true for any hotspot app.

+1 that this is a pure Google unlocked phone we don't need a 3rd party app to tether and no they won't detect it.