NFC/Beam not working

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
received my GNex yesterday, got home & set it up on wifi (on 4.0.4)

1) tapped Wallet, "please enable NFC", clicked Settings, enabled, Wallet kept saying it wasn't enabled.
2) tried this several times, gave up.
3) tapped 'Beam' under NFC but it didn't allow me to turn it on. just stayed Greyed out--i'm assuming b/c NFC was never successfully enabled.
4) prompted for update (4.1.1) accepted/installed/rebooted
5) tapped Wallet, "Wallet is not compatible with your device at this time" or something to that extent.
6) Beam, was once again, not allowed.

*all this time, i was not on any cellular service b/c my SIM is arriving today in the mail.

question is this: is NFC requiring an active internet connection (cellular) to enable it initially?
or did i get a busted handset?

*won't freak out until i pop in the SIM tonight, but looking for any re-assurance or stories of other people having the same issue @ first.

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My uninformed guess would be it will not initialize until you have a working SIM. Think about it, in most cases you would be using your cellular network when making purchases. I would think you have to pass that test first when you try and set it up. I had a similar issue with a Nokia phone and email. I could not set up an email account when just using wifi even though that was the only time I would use it. I didn't have a data connection so I didn't pass the test. :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
that's what i'm hoping--but it's odd that

1) on 4.0.4, i was at least able to get into Wallet to attempt to set it up (please enable nfc) & after updating to JB it (Wallet) just said "not supported"
2) shouldn't NFC (ie Beam) be able to be used (without mentioning Wallet) to do things like Beam apps to other people since it doesn't use an internet connection?

really hoping it's just the SIM--i don't want to send this beast back.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
that's what i'm hoping--but it's odd that

1) on 4.0.4, i was at least able to get into Wallet to attempt to set it up (please enable nfc) & after updating to JB it (Wallet) just said "not supported"
2) shouldn't NFC (ie Beam) be able to be used (without mentioning Wallet) to do things like Beam apps to other people since it doesn't use an internet connection?

really hoping it's just the SIM--i don't want to send this beast back.

It could possibly have something to do with the order in which you started. In any event, you you go into settings, wireless & networks, more and tick the NFC box? Is it already ticked?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It could possibly have something to do with the order in which you started. In any event, you you go into settings, wireless & networks, more and tick the NFC box? Is it already ticked?

un-ticked, so i tick it, then it's greyed out...moments later i return to the menu & it's still grey---no checkmark/tick.

curious if maybe it's just an issue with the battery not seating correctly, or the battery cover.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I would not worry until you have had a chance to try it with a SIM and have also done a battery pull. Good luck and keep us informed. :)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
wait.. isn't an internet connection required for the credit card to connect to the bank? it won't work without your SIM

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
that's what i'm hoping---

it was just particularly worrisome since my NFC wasn't appearing to be 'enabled' and Beam wasn't an option because of that--

so it was freaking me out because
1) Wallet wasn't "supported" after the update
but also because
2) NFC/Beam wasn't looking to be operational, regardless of Wallet

**and it's odd that if it were solely an internet requirement issue--why wasn't wifi allowed (like purchasing something on a computer with wifi connection)...either way/ whatever reason, i'm just choosing to believe that it's some coding with a SIM needing to be in the phone for NFC/Wallet in general

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
that's what i'm hoping---

it was just particularly worrisome since my NFC wasn't appearing to be 'enabled' and Beam wasn't an option because of that--

so it was freaking me out because
1) Wallet wasn't "supported" after the update
but also because
2) NFC/Beam wasn't looking to be operational, regardless of Wallet

**and it's odd that if it were solely an internet requirement issue--why wasn't wifi allowed (like purchasing something on a computer with wifi connection)...either way/ whatever reason, i'm just choosing to believe that it's some coding with a SIM needing to be in the phone for NFC/Wallet in general
Btw another way to check if NFC is working is to ask a friend who has an NFC device or just go to any carrier store, and check if you can transfer photos or any other content with another NFC phone... As far as I know you don't need an Internet connection and the SIM card for that
Also, wifi is very unsecure especially if it is a public wifi and google wallet will not work over wifi. For GW to work you will need a secure cellular Internet connection for the credit card to connect to the bank.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
received SIM card last night--activated T-MO $30/mo plan, popped it in (had active H internet connection), still no NFC.
just keeps being greyed out.
factory reset the phone, NFC option was white--so i clicked it, still greyed out.
cleared the app data, did a force stop. rebooted the phone. still greyed out.

called Google, told him what i'd done, his response "that's everything i would've suggested", got on the phone with Samsung & they're shipping an advanced replacement unit since it's w/i 15 days of purchase (new unit, NOT a CLNR)

so now i play the waiting game for the confirmation # from the Samsung Rep & wait until Monday for my phone to arrive...oy..still love the phone, just hate waiting.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
got on the phone with Samsung & they're shipping an advanced replacement unit since it's w/i 15 days of purchase (new unit, NOT a CLNR).

Hmm interesting they (Samsuck) told me no replacements even though I had my phone for only 5 days. Offered to ship it back to them and wait for two weeks untill it'll be fixed... Thank God I made a right decision to return this crap to Google...

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
*advanced replacement* means that they ship me one to use before i send in my defective phone.

i was pleased/surprised to hear this & understand it since i work with machinery under the same warranty & am happy it's the case.

only problem was i've had 3 diff samsung reps tell me 3 diff things about "include this, don't include that, ship it first, ship it after,"---but either way i'm at least thankful i could understand Tech Support from Google...

Samsung, on the other hand...that took a minute after each sentence.

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not to hijack your thread... But I am having a similar issue.

My fiancee and I have Vzw gnex's and since day one were were able to beam all kinds of stuff. After the initial wow factor died off we stopped beaming for a while. We then updated to 4.0.4 and still didnt beam for a bit. Then the other day we decided to beam a picture and it give us the "denied" sound.

I've restarted both phones, made sure both have NFC checked and beam enabled, and ensured the batteries were seated well. Our options are not grayed out though.

We are stumped.

P.S. The IT Crowd is hilarious - love the avatar. I made that my fiancee's wallpaper on her phone.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Not to hijack your thread... But I am having a similar issue.

My fiancee and I have Vzw gnex's and since day one were were able to beam all kinds of stuff. After the initial wow factor died off we stopped beaming for a while. We then updated to 4.0.4 and still didnt beam for a bit. Then the other day we decided to beam a picture and it give us the "denied" sound.

I've restarted both phones, made sure both have NFC checked and beam enabled, and ensured the batteries were seated well. Our options are not grayed out though.

We are stumped.

P.S. The IT Crowd is hilarious - love the avatar. I made that my fiancee's wallpaper on her phone.

have you tried turning it off and back on again? :)

but seriously though--consider wiping the app data, then re-booting the phone.
before giving up on the phone to return it, try wiping it.

hope it works out for you

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Totally not returning. We are launch day. I tried all that minus wiping. That's not an option for me right now. I think I read that touch to beam photos is not supposed to work. I'm going to try it through file expert. I'm not that worried about it. Just hoping some one knew of a legit fix. Thanks though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Caution NFC may not function properly with the use of a 3rd party battery. To ensure functionality, only utilize the Samsung designed battery with Near Field Communication printed on the battery label.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance