T mobile 4g $30 plan > Sprint unlimited plans??

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I'm planning on buying a galaxy nexus soon.
At first I had planned to buy it from sprint on one of its unlimited plans, but upon doing some research I realized that 4g speed is terrible most for the time and you mainly get 3g. :confused:

Upon doing some more research I heard about T mobile's 4g for $30, which is affordable and fits my daily smart phone usage habits. :D

What I wanna know is if I should go with the Galaxy nexus from sprint or buy it directly for Google and use the t mobile plan I mentioned above, plz be clear in your responses.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
sprint=unlimited voice/text/data (regardless of speed argument) + roaming capabilities.

t-mo $30 (5gb/100 min/unlimited messages)=beneficial if you're going to commit to work-arounds like Google Voice to supplement your 100 minute allotment & if T-MO has ample coverage in your area

t-mobile has the benefit of pre-paid/no contract & low price
t-mobile has the downside of smaller footprint for data & no roaming

sprint has the benefit of larger data footprint & roaming
sprint has the downside of a contract & slower data speed.

it's a give and take.
but for me, i want a no-contract, GSM phone (faster/immediate updates), and i'm going all in with Google Voice to supplement the small 100min/month allotment

Reactions: Encerspay45

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The unlocked GSM phone straight from Google is definitely superior to the Sprint controlled CDMA phone as far as software, updates, freedom, lack of garbage apps forced on you, battery life (even though you won't get great battery life on either), and other random things. The no-contract Tmobile plan is better than the contract Sprint plan for both the lack of contract and the greatly reduced cost.

Assuming you have decent Tmobile coverage where you live, you will get much better speeds with Tmobile than with Sprint. Sprint has the worst speeds nationwide of any carrier. Where I live, Sprint data speeds, regardless of whether you have 3g or 4g, average 100Kbps and this is not unusual for Sprint anywhere, although if you live in one of the few places with decent Sprint speeds then you can factor that in for yourself.

With the unlocked GSM phone with no-contract plan, you can always switch service providers, switch sims, switch plans, etc. Sprint you are stuck with. As long as you have decent Tmobile coverage where you live/work, I would go with them and the unlocked phone regardless of which plan you choose. I have the $30 plan and am happy with it.

If you need a lot of minutes and don't want to use one of the voip workarounds or if having roaming is important to you, then I would go with one of the tmobile value plans rather than Sprint anyway. It will still be cheaper, the phone can still be used internationally and on other service providers in the US, you will still get faster speeds, you will not have to deal with Sprint software, and you will get the latest updates immediately, as well as being able to mod your phone easier if you choose.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: slosh74

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
And keep in mind t-mobile has other plans besides the $30 plan, I have the $59.99 which features unlimited minutes, Text, and MMS plus 2GB data at 4G speeds (HSPA+21) and then throttles you to 3G when you go over. I need to use the phone more than the data and since I'm on WiFi 80% of the day it's no issue for me.

I'm extremely happy with t-mobile. I might try StraightTalk with AT&T in the future as I think I'm in an excellent coverage area and even save some more dollars!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
And keep in mind t-mobile has other plans besides the $30 plan, I have the $59.99 which features unlimited minutes, Text, and MMS plus 2GB data at 4G speeds (HSPA+21) and then throttles you to 3G when you go over. I need to use the phone more than the data and since I'm on WiFi 80% of the day it's no issue for me.

I'm extremely happy with t-mobile. I might try StraightTalk with AT&T in the future as I think I'm in an excellent coverage area and even save some more dollars!

Very true, but unless they've changed something extremely recently, they actually throttle to around 2G speeds, not 3G. The throttled speeds are hard capped at 60kbps down / 150kbps up.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I like the T-Mobile $30 a month option with 100 minutes.
However, I would like to use Google Voice so I can call without worry of minute overages.
But the inconvenience of 2 different phone numbers seems like a deal breaker. Can anyone help me come up with an intelligent way to handle this?
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Horr1bleK1tten

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
However, I would like to use Google Voice so I can call without worry of minute overages.
But the inconvenience of 2 different phone numbers seems like a deal breaker. Can anyone help me come up with an intelligent way to handle this?
Thanks.

I have the 30/month on prepaid 100 mins isn't enough for me but don't wanna shell out the extra bucks. I use bobsled calling from tmobile its free don't use minutes and works over any connection. Only sucks cause volume is really low.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

You can port your number to Google Voice and just use that number and make and receive all your calls with GV through a VOIP app. This would require you to have a good data connection (either mobile or wifi) or you would end up still needing to use the phone's number when you didn't. So if you use your phone places where you don't lose data connection, that would work for you to only use one number. Also, you can't receive MMS with GV if that matters to you.

Otherwise, there are also paid but low-cost options, like Skype. Skype costs much less than the 10 cents a minute Tmobile charges - the cost varies based on which Skype plan you choose so I can't tell you how much less it would be for you - and you can use your phone number with it. There are other paid options as well that are less than the 10c rate, but I haven't looked into how they handle the phone number part.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

You can port your current number to Google Voice, or switch completely to your new Google Voice number.

Where there seems to be confusion with Google Voice (most people don't know much about it) is that people assume it uses no minutes. Google Voice is only a call forwarding service, which uses your normal voice minutes on your plan. The only way to get Google Voice to provide you with free minutes is if you use a VOIP app that bridges the gap and uses the Google Talk protocol with GV. These apps do "work", but if you need to make lots of calls they're downright not an option IMHO. The quality just isn't good enough right now.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am using the GrooVe IP app with the $30 plan, and I have not had any problems. It is worth spending some time tweaking the settings in the app in order to get the best quality. If you are on wifi a lot, it is easy to avoid using minutes. The call quality is fine if you have a strong 4g data signal as well. I have not had good luck with the voip calling over 4g while driving.

I just use the Google Voice number for all calls and texts now, so that if I want to try out a different prepaid plan I don't have to port. I find texting to be the most annoying aspect of the set up. If you send a text from a regular sms app directly to someone, they see your prepaid number instead of your GV number. You can avoid that by using the GV app to text.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I am using the GrooVe IP app with the $30 plan, and I have not had any problems. It is worth spending some time tweaking the settings in the app in order to get the best quality. If you are on wifi a lot, it is easy to avoid using minutes. The call quality is fine if you have a strong 4g data signal as well. I have not had good luck with the voip calling over 4g while driving.

I just use the Google Voice number for all calls and texts now, so that if I want to try out a different prepaid plan I don't have to port. I find texting to be the most annoying aspect of the set up. If you send a text from a regular sms app directly to someone, they see your prepaid number instead of your GV number. You can avoid that by using the GV app to text.

Can Google voice send international texts yet, and can it send and receive mms yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In the GV app, you can send and receive texts. I have looked into international sms at all.

You can also have your GV sms messages sent to your phone's number. If you reply from another sms app to a text sent to your GV number, it will show your GV number to the recipient.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Bobsled looks interesting, I'll definitely look into that.
The only problem I have with porting my number to Google Voice is that it terminates mobile service, so I'd have to reactivate with a new number, and be stuck with 2 numbers again.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
T mobile is the better deal if you can deal with t mobile and their staticky call quality.

Then not very good coverage indoors

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

ngb802

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I would get it unlocked and use it on T-Mobile, reason 1) T-Mobile hspa+ is pretty fast 2) T-Mobile is GSM so let's say later you want to sell your phone you can sell it in America and overseas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: slosh74

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

If you can't call on anything less than full HSPA+ and not moving, then I wouldn't consider that a usable situation for calls :p . Its okay to use on WiFi when you need to save minutes, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you need to make lots of calls this is not the plan for you. Look at $45 Straight Talk or Net10, or the $60/$70 T-Mobile plans.

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously considering cancelling my Verizon contract and ordering the GSM Nexus from the Play Store. Am I correct in that there is no way to port my current phone number over to a prepaid monthly T-Mobile plan? It's a small trade off for no carrier shenanigans, just want to make sure.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously considering cancelling my Verizon contract and ordering the GSM Nexus from the Play Store. Am I correct in that there is no way to port my current phone number over to a prepaid monthly T-Mobile plan? It's a small trade off for no carrier shenanigans, just want to make sure.

No, you can port to prepaid T-Mobile just fine. I've not heard anything specifically that would keep you from porting as long as your VZW account is in good standing. Call them when you're activating and have them port your number. Usually takes 2 business days (did for me, anyways).

Reactions: Erckul

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish