1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default What's involved in switching between T-mo and AT&T SIMS? (US)

Having long since gotten tired of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus being useless as a phone, I'm considering ditching it for the unlocked GSM version, as I'd rather have a Gnex with Jellybean than a Galaxy S3 with a locked bootloader :P I'm planning to test out both T-mobile and AT&T, and am wondering what is involved in switching out the SIM cards. Since I use Google Voice, is it just a matter of taking out one SIM and putting in another, or is the process more involved than that?

(And before anybody mentions Straight Talk, I sometimes do a lot of audio streaming, so if they have a 100mb daily limit as I have heard about, that might be a problem.)

Default Re: What's involved in switching between T-mo and AT&T SIMS? (US)

Power down the phone
    Take out T-Mobile SIM
    Put in AT&T SIM
    Power up phone
    Set up the # as your current forwarding # at voice.google.com
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

It's pretty simple. Almost as simple as Andrew has suggested. The first time you may need to setup the APN for ATT.
    Do yourself a favor and checkout
    It has a lot of info on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by primate View Post
    It's pretty simple. Almost as simple as Andrew has suggested. The first time you may need to setup the APN for ATT.
    Ah yes, thank you. I should have noted that the first time you insert a different SIM you'll probably have to configure the APN. The default APN has worked for me sometimes, other times you need a different one.

After that initial setup, you won't have to change the APN when you switch SIMs, it'll do it for you.

I never had to set it up. The phone automatically configure to the proper settings as did my old Nokia when I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

I too have used TMob and ATT without any trouble at all on the GSM GNex - shouldn't be any problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I never had to set it up. The phone automatically configure to the proper settings as did my old Nokia when I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.
    The SIM should load the proper default APN when you put it in, but some MVNO providers especially don't always load the proper one for your phone, and you've gotta do a manual configuration.